The Student Room Group

Which is my better option for getting training contract

So for A level results day this year I got ABB with A in a fourth subject at AS level. This meant that I just missed my insurance choice, Law and sociology at warwick, however, one of my B grades was 3 marks off an A and so there is a good chance that once it's remarked it will become an A. Should I take up my place at warwick to do law and sociology, a qualifying law degree, all be it, one not as academic perhaps as a straight LLB. Through clearing I have secured a place doing law with Chinese law at university of Sheffield which includes a year abroad in china and the chance to learn mandarin.

Do the benefits of doing the Law with Chinese law (4years) at Sheffield outweigh doing a softer law degree at warwick, when it comes to working in a big London firm/international firm, even tough warwick is a far better institution, someone please help as I only have a few days to decide, thanks.
If they're both QLDs then the specific content shouldn't matter so much as the "name-brand" of the uni, for the MC firms level, to my knowledge. The chinese law aspect may be helpful if you apply to one that has offices and business in China though, and level the playing field between the two in that regard - possibly.

From the sound of things your original aim was to go to Warwick - if you achieve the offer after remarks, is there a reason not to pursue this, as it's what you wanted to do? If you don't of course, then Sheffield is a fine alternative - but unless the prospect of studying abroad and learning Mandarin is something you're very keen on, there's no reason to suppose this is better if you have the first option available (not that I think it's necessarily worse in any case).
Original post by Mwasher711
So for A level results day this year I got ABB with A in a fourth subject at AS level. This meant that I just missed my insurance choice, Law and sociology at warwick, however, one of my B grades was 3 marks off an A and so there is a good chance that once it's remarked it will become an A. Should I take up my place at warwick to do law and sociology, a qualifying law degree, all be it, one not as academic perhaps as a straight LLB. Through clearing I have secured a place doing law with Chinese law at university of Sheffield which includes a year abroad in china and the chance to learn mandarin.

Do the benefits of doing the Law with Chinese law (4years) at Sheffield outweigh doing a softer law degree at warwick, when it comes to working in a big London firm/international firm, even tough warwick is a far better institution, someone please help as I only have a few days to decide, thanks.

Congratulations on your A level results! In my opinion, is not necessary to have a double major in Law and Sociology. You will naturally see the connection between the two as you progress through your law degree. Law is about human relationships and institutions, just like sociology. If you aspire to be an international lawyer, you need to gain as much international experience as possible. Sheffield does expand this international profile through the study abroad in China. However, Warwick does have a really good international law degree too. They have French and German law minors but you do need A levels in the said languages. It's going to be a tough one, but I'm sure you'll make the right decision.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending