The Student Room Group

Rape insurance': Texas House of Representatives passes bill to make women...

...buy extra coverage for abortions.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/rape-insurance-texas-women-abortions-healthcare-coverage-house-representatives-bill-incest-foetal-a7885786.html

A bill which forces women to buy separate insurance coverage for having an abortion has been approved by the Texas House of Representatives. The measure will ban insurance coverage for abortions and require women who want coverage to go out of their way and buy a separate plan for an abortion.

The bill, which does not make exceptions for abortions that follow rape, incest or fetal abnormalities, now awaits a vote in the Senate.

I kinda understand why abortions should not be on regular insurance because you should take precautions to prevent getting pregnant but if you're raped and get pregnant you still have to pay, this bill needs amending asap.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Command&Conquer

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/rape-insurance-texas-women-abortions-healthcare-coverage-house-representatives-bill-incest-foetal-a7885786.html

A bill which forces women to buy separate insurance coverage for having an abortion has been approved by the Texas House of Representatives. The measure will ban insurance coverage for abortions and require women who want coverage to go out of their way and buy a separate plan for an abortion.

The bill, which does not make exceptions for abortions that follow rape, incest or fetal abnormalities, now awaits a vote in the Senate.

I kinda understand why abortions should not be on regular insurance because you should take precautions to prevent getting pregnant but if you're raped and get pregnant you still have to pay, this bill needs amending asap.

It definitely does. Do remember that not everyone has access to contraception, it's free on the NHS but that's not the case everywhere else.
Reply 2

Abortions should be on regular insurance, some women have them for medical reasons and contraception isn't always 100% effective.
This seems a fairly abhorrent policy, I fail to see why abortion in general shouldn't just be covered by regular insurance.
Ignoring any moral stuff, you could buy this and literally never get any use out of it ever. Far better from a consumer point of view to have it on the regular insurance. You could potentially either go buy it and never use it, or alternatively think you may never need an abortion and not buy it then have some bad stuff happen.

Pretty annoying scenarios either way
Lol, why is everyone surprised by this? :lol:

Texas is the armpit craphole of America.
Why does this seem so difficult for people to grasp; pro-lifers are against abortion because they believe the foetus has a right to life so the question of whether conception was consensual or not is irrelevant
Original post by shadowdweller
This seems a fairly abhorrent policy, I fail to see why abortion in general shouldn't just be covered by regular insurance.

Well why should it be? Basic health insurance should cover illness, non-essential medical treatments should be extra
Reply 8
Original post by Underscore__
Why does this seem so difficult for people to grasp; pro-lifers are against abortion because they believe the foetus has a right to life so the question of whether conception was consensual or not is irrelevant
Exactly. If god hadn't wanted the baby to be conceived, it wouldn't have happened.
Reply 9

Well, there are a few points here: firstly, abortion is not - in this case - a question of a medical procedure being used to address sickness. Most optional procedures are not covered by health insurance.

Secondly, there is a significant moral question over abortion and it seems many people have considerable concerns about their insurance premiums being used to fund it.

There seems to be a broad lack of sympathy for abortion in Texas, so it's pretty unsurprising that this Bill has been brought forward. There have been numerous pieces of legislation to address certain abortion practices and Governor Abbott has taken forward other legislation on things like the disposal of aborted remains (burying or cremation, rather than landfill) and taking action on partial birth abortions.
The bill will require women to purchase extra coverage for non-medical emergency abortions. (https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/08/texas-house-abortion-insurance) (www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=851&Bill=HB214).

Good move by the Republicans.
(edited 6 years ago)

I kinda understand why alcohol, fat, smoking related treatments should not be on regular insurance because you should take precautions to prevent being a ****ing moron but if you are one anyway, you still have to pay, this bill needs chucking out asap.
Original post by Aceadria
The bill will require women to purchase extra coverage for non-medical emergency abortions (:https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/08/texas-house-abortion-insurance:http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=851&Bill=HB214).

Good move by the Republicans.

Aceadria strikes again.

Surely this bill just means that those women who would never have an abortion because their personal (most likely religious) beliefs would preclude them from doing so, no longer have to pay for it within their healthcare package? The only effect I can see this bill actually having is that those women who would never have an abortion, can now opt out and so not be paying to insure themselves for a procedure they would never have. It doesn't actually make getting an abortion any harder, does it? If anything, isn't forcing all women to pay to cover a procedure that they may not want the immoral option?

I should add I'm entirely in favour of women being able to abort, for whatever reason. I don't think it should be legislated whatsoever, beyond setting a maximum age at which abortion can occur. It just doesn't seem like this bill actually makes having an abortion any harder. It's just people getting upset about an emotive subject so far as I can tell.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lukey67791
Surely this bill just means that those women who would never have an abortion because their personal (most likely religious) beliefs would preclude them from doing so, no longer have to pay for it within their healthcare package? The only effect I can see this bill actually having is that those women who would never have an abortion, can now opt out and so not be paying to insure themselves for a procedure they would never have. It doesn't actually make getting an abortion any harder, does it? If anything, isn't forcing all women to pay to cover a procedure that they may not want the immoral option?

I should add I'm entirely in favour of women being able to abort, for whatever reason. I don't think it should be legislated whatsoever, beyond setting a maximum age at which abortion can occur. It just doesn't seem like this bill actually makes having an abortion any harder. It's just people getting upset about an emotive subject so far as I can tell.

You have no understanding of insurance, do you? I wish I could opt out of any treatment I will never need because I am not a smoker nor fat. How about I get my genes checked and then opt out of treatment of every disease I won't get.

This is quite clearly a sexist move by backwards Texas.
Original post by yudothis
You have no understanding of insurance, do you? I wish I could opt out of any treatment I will never need because I am not a smoker nor fat. How about I get my genes checked and then opt out of treatment of every disease I won't get.

This is quite clearly a sexist move by backwards Texas.

I'm not disagreeing that Texas has some pretty backwards views on abortion; I mean, that's what happens when you put religious nuts in charge. But given as there's no suggestion that the price of abortion will be hiked up, I still don't see this as massively devastating. It certainly wouldn't be my first port of call if looking for examples of ridiculous religiously-motivated policy in the Deep South.
Its just a political football between the pro lifers and pro choice. The amount of money it would save I bet is minimal.
Be glad you live in the UK (if you do).
Original post by lukey67791
I'm not disagreeing that Texas has some pretty backwards views on abortion; I mean, that's what happens when you put religious nuts in charge. But given as there's no suggestion that the price of abortion will be hiked up, I still don't see this as massively devastating. It certainly wouldn't be my first port of call if looking for examples of ridiculous religiously-motivated policy in the Deep South.

Specifically targeting certain types of treatment in insurance is not just morally wrong, it's a direct attack against those people needing it. In this case women. It defeats the whole purpose of insurance.
Specifically targeting certain types of treatment in insurance is not just morally wrong, it's a direct attack against those people needing it. In this case women. It defeats the whole purpose of insurance.

Should it cover elective cosmetic surgery? Gastric bypass surgery? I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to argue either or both of those shouldn't be covered. One way or the other, you've got to draw a line somewhere. They happen to have used religious belief as their basis for morality. I disagree with it, but ultimately, they are the people who were elected to make these decisions.

Sorry but your argument is muddled.

the whole purpose of insurance is to make a profit by providing a service which people want and are prepared to pay for. The issue here is whether a particular event should be covered and paid for by all policyholders or just those who might use it.

Its petty imo, but in insurance terms it can make sense if it makes it cheaper for the remaining policyholders or more profitable for the company. Obviously its being driven by politics.

Not sure whether the bill will prevent insurers offering abortion coverage as a specific policy benefit as it should be up to insurers what they wish to offer. It could be a small tickbox where they opt in and pay a small premium.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending