The Student Room Group

History and Ancient History Applicants 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Larache
To Rosebudzz,

Likewise, there's always a pleasure in meeting a fellow History-lover.

I must admit I am feeling quite partial to NCH right now, but a UG prospectus and an Open Day will help to provide more insight into the place. I too could do with just History, but as you've mentioned, it does provide an edge in some ways to have another subject to broaden your horizons; both mentally and in terms of employability.

Do you have a specific period in History, whether place or people, that you find very interesting to explore? Any myths that studying History has helped to bust? (the Greek or Roman mythos not included!).

The past can be as uncertain as the future.

Regards.

Larache,

Go for what you will enjoy. I don't see the point in studying anything if you do not find it enjoyable. Yes, I'm sure once you've had a closer look, you will know if it's the right course for you. After all, different people like different things.

As for your question, I particularly find the Wars of the Roses and the Crusades fascinating. The richness in detail, and the fascinating plot lines and characters make it all the more interesting.

Are there any particular periods or characters which you find very interesting and love to explore?

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'
~Edmund Burke

Sincerely,
Rosebudzz
Hi Rosebudzz,

Congratulations on your offer from Leicester.

I'm a History applicant too!

UCL: History - Waiting for reply
Queen Mary: History - Conditional Offer
King's College London: History - Conditional Offer
Royal Holloway: History - Conditional Offer

N x
(edited 6 years ago)
University choices: Royal Holloway (Conditional offer), King's College London (Conditional Offer), Queen Mary (Conditional Offer), and UCL.
What subject(s) are you currently studying?: History, English Literature, Psychology and Maths.
Predicted A2 grades: I'm studying on an Access to Humanities course, so no predicted grades are given.
Why History? I can't imagine doing anything else.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FutureHistorian
Hi Rosebudzz,

Congratulations on your offer from Leicester.

I'm a History applicant too!

UCL: History - Waiting for reply
Queen Mary: History - Waiting for reply
King's College London: History - Waiting for reply
Birkbeck: Modern Languages and History - Waiting for reply
Royal Holloway: Modern Languages and History - Conditional Offer

N x

Hiya,

We’re applying for pretty much exactly the same hahaha! Only differences are straight History at RH and Sussex rather than Birkbeck! Good luck with your offers, I sent off my UCAS a week ago and so far have an unconditional from Royal Holloway and a conditional from Sussex, still waiting impatiently on the others :frown:
Original post by gabbythorn
Hiya,

We’re applying for pretty much exactly the same hahaha! Only differences are straight History at RH and Sussex rather than Birkbeck! Good luck with your offers, I sent off my UCAS a week ago and so far have an unconditional from Royal Holloway and a conditional from Sussex, still waiting impatiently on the others :frown:

Ah, nice! Congrats on your offers. What were your AS levels if you don't mind me asking?
Ah, nice! Congrats on your offers. What were your AS levels if you don't mind me asking?

AS levels were AABB and i’m predicted AAA :smile:
Original post by gabbythorn
AS levels were AABB and i’m predicted AAA :smile:

Those are great predicted grades. :smile:
Are you booked onto an applicant day yet?
Reply 47
Original post by rosebudzz
Anyone applied for/studying Ancient History/History (2018 Applications)?
Which uni's have you applied for?
I have applied for Leicester and Royal Holloway. Got an unconditional offer from Leicester to study Ancient History and Archaeology! ;-)

Yeah I have applied for ancient history in King’s College London and they have offered me a conditional offer.
I have applied for history in university College London and haven’t heard from them.
I have applied for history and English at two places- university of Exeter and queen Mary University of London and I am still waiting to hear from them.
Original post by RheaM25
Yeah I have applied for ancient history in King’s College London and they have offered me a conditional offer.
I have applied for history in university College London and haven’t heard from them.
I have applied for history and English at two places- university of Exeter and queen Mary University of London and I am still waiting to hear from them.

How long after you applied did you have to wait for King's to give you an offer? And what is the offer if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 49
How long after you applied did you have to wait for King's to give you an offer? And what is the offer if you don't mind me asking?

I had applied on 13th October and had heard from them on 20th November. As I am an international student and we have leaving examinations so the offer is conditional and states that, upon achieving 80% across the subjects I have chosen, they would give me a permanent place in my chosen field of interest.
Anyone had an offer from Birmingham uni to do just history- last uni to reply and I'm on edge!!
Original post by Wollstonecraft
Anyone had an offer from Birmingham uni to do just history- last uni to reply and I'm on edge!!

Have you gotten your offer yet? I'm waiting on UCL, as my last offer. It's really a horrible feeling!

I have - took them about three to four weeks I think.

I've applied for JH History and Archaeology on October 9th and I'm still waiting for my offer - you're not the only one feeling a little tense.
Reply 54
University choices: Edinburgh (History and Scandinavian studies), Strathclyde (History and Journalism & Creative Writing), Stirling (History and Journalism Studies), Glasgow (History and Comparative Literature).
What subject(s) are you currently studying?: I'm Italian and I've studied Humanities and Languages, focusing on these subjects: German, French, English, Italian, History, Philosophy, Mathematics, Science (Biology and Chemistry), Physics.
Predicted A2 grades: I already know my grades, got 93/100, which may be compared to an AAA or AAB for some Universities.
Why History? I feel like history is the only thing that can give me a sense of purpose in life, because there's no way of having a "bigger picture" on life than studying History.

I’m afraid my choices are too different because of the joint honours and that this could penalize my admission.
What do you think? I accept any advice!
Original post by TheJonno91
University choices: Bristol, Southampton, York, Brunel, Maybe UEA
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, Geography, Politics
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades: History A, Geography C, Politics C
GCSE grades: 2 A*, 5 A, 2 B, 1 C
Why History? Always loved it

Can someone tell me the likelihood of getting into a good uni (Bristol is ideal) with my relatively poor AS results?

You need to focus on your personal statement - on mine I mentioned volunteering at a historical site, and I was told at an open day that I was pretty much guaranteed a place because of it. Also, try your best to improve your grades for A2, because University offers will be asking for those grades, not your AS ones
People here may be interested in this:
https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~200375~3001080:The-Histomap-

I found it rather interesting.:smile:
Original post by 04MR17
People here may be interested in this:
https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~200375~3001080:The-Histomap-

I found it rather interesting.:smile:

It was very interesting - wondering if it's really all that representative if there are powers that just plain don't interact with each other. How can they have more power than another state when there's no easy way to compare them?

Also curious about the prominence of Rome (it didn't exactly cover the whole world, after all!) and lack of prominence of China. Also it looked like South America only existed at all very recently (unless I missed something on the map) yet there were plenty of civilisations there, and the USA springs up out of nowhere with no mention of the native population there (I think).

I know the creator of this map is probably dead but I really want to know how they measured this, basically.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by StevetheIcecube
It was very interesting - wondering if it's really all that representative if there are powers that just plain don't interact with each other. How can they have more power than another state when there's no easy way to compare them?

Also curious about the prominence of Rome (it didn't exactly cover the whole world, after all!) and lack of prominence of China. Also it looked like South America only existed at all very recently (unless I missed something on the map) yet there were plenty of civilisations there, and the USA springs up out of nowhere with no mention of the native population there (I think).

I know the creator of this map is probably dead but I really want to know how they measured this, basically.
The native population of the USA didn't have any "power" internationally as such.

You did miss something on the map for South American, about 1150 AD onward you'll see a very thin slither on the far left.:wink: What you should notice is as the Spanish and Portuguese powers gets bigger, South America vanishes and then re-appears.

China is one of two nations to survive for the whole of the map (along with India). They had points of strength (and weakness) throughout, peaking in about 700 AD.

As for Rome, you're right, they were not global, but I think the map is trying to illustrate how sophisticated they were as a society for that time.
University choices: Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham, UWE, UEA
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, English Literature, English Language, Art
Predicted A2 grades: AAAB
AS grades: AABB
GCSE grades: 4 A*'s, 7A's
Why History? One of my favourite/strongest subjects

Is anyone going for Bristol?

Quick Reply