The Student Room Group

Conflicting advice about choice in course

Hi guys

I didn't apply to university this year for personal reasons, however I went to plenty of university open days. I became set on Electronic Engineering with computer systems at Surrey, which is what I would have firmed had I applied. The course seems ideal to me - the modules really align with my interests, the facilities look great, and the university seems like a really nice place as a whole.

However, after receiving my results (A*A*A*A* Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Music), my parents and teachers alike are suggesting that I am making the wrong decision if I still choose to apply for this course next year. (I do feel a bit insulted; I've done my research and I think I can be trusted to make a decision in my best interests).

I'm at a loss now. Does anyone have any advice, or has anyone had a similar experience?
Original post by elcnunrah
Hi guys

I didn't apply to university this year for personal reasons, however I went to plenty of university open days. I became set on Electronic Engineering with computer systems at Surrey, which is what I would have firmed had I applied. The course seems ideal to me - the modules really align with my interests, the facilities look great, and the university seems like a really nice place as a whole.

However, after receiving my results (A*A*A*A* Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Music), my parents and teachers alike are suggesting that I am making the wrong decision if I still choose to apply for this course next year. (I do feel a bit insulted; I've done my research and I think I can be trusted to make a decision in my best interests).

I'm at a loss now. Does anyone have any advice, or has anyone had a similar experience?

Obviously you can go where you wish.

Perhaps they are pushing you to Imperial. I see Surrey is near the top at least with Guardian. To get them off your back agree to go to where they suggest on open day but the decision is yours and they should respect i. No Physics? What about having a go for MIT?

You just have to manage them. Where are they pushing you? Not everyone wants to study in London.

Get some blurb from Surrey showing how many get jobs and make them go to the open day as well. Your debt your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending