The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2018 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mahrez
How long ago did your UCAS get sent off

I sent my application on the 4th and they gave me an interview on the 12th. (just checked my emails)
Original post by fhaignvbl
Can you please let us know what the vibe of the day/ how the interview was for you? I have mine on the 8th!

The vibe was nice, the students were very friendly. Be ready for the basic questions like why you want to study chemical engineering and why you want to study at imperial. Don't be so shy like I was, make sure you say all that is on your mind. And if they do give you a maths question where you haven't covered that topic, please do verbally tell them that before you fail miserably. Yes, I did quite badly but at least I got to experience it all.
Original post by ∆us
I would say that Bath has some of the best sports facilities for a university in the country, to the point where foreign sports teams (Australian Rugby Team) and British Olympians have trained there. For shopping the town centre has a mall and pretty much everything you need, there are also facilities on the actual campus. I think there were two banks, a grocery store and cafes. As for the course, it has strong industry links and is like 50% coursework and 50% exams. They have a pilot plant and is imo one of the places to go if you truly want to become a chemical engineer as soon as you leave uni.

Sorry for the late response.

Thank you. I should have gone to an open day.
University choices: Cambridge (via Natural Sciences), UCL, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Chemistry, Physics
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A* ( my teachers seem to think I can get it but I think the prediction looks too inflated)
AS grades: AAAA (I dropped biology at the end)
GCSE grades: 5A*s 6As 1B
Why Chemical Engineering? I love maths and science and the link between the two subjects. I did lots of wider reading and it seem a lot better than medicine or pure chemistry in my eyes.

So far I have got offers from:
Nottingham
Birmingham
Manchester
Reply 64
Original post by BeigeSponge
Was you not invited for a interview by Manchester? It states on their website they require a interview

No bro, I am international applicant, from Malaysia :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by darmes
No bro, I am international applicant, from Malaysia :smile:

they do interview international students because I was their interview day on wednesday
Reply 66
Hi, I'm applying to ChemEng and I do 4 A-levels and I'm predicted AAAB (Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Further Maths). For those unis that have entry requirements of only 3 grades (AAA for example), will they just disregard the fourth a level if its the lowest? e.g. If i apply to a uni with AAA requirements, will my fourth subject prediction of a B get looked down upon?
Currently deciding uni options and feeling like that B is restricting me with some of my choices :/
Original post by R2-D2
Hi, I'm applying to ChemEng and I do 4 A-levels and I'm predicted AAAB (Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Further Maths). For those unis that have entry requirements of only 3 grades (AAA for example), will they just disregard the fourth a level if its the lowest? e.g. If i apply to a uni with AAA requirements, will my fourth subject prediction of a B get looked down upon?
Currently deciding uni options and feeling like that B is restricting me with some of my choices :/

AAAB exceeds the requirement AAA. The only issue would be if they specifically ask for maths for example and your B is in maths. Then they are asking for an A in maths and you only have a B.
GCSE: 7A* 5A
AS level: ABBB (A biology, Bs in chemistry, maths and physics)
Predicted: AAA (dropped biology)
University choices: birmingham, UCL, manchester, surrey and loughborough

Currently finishing personal statement
Reply 69
GCSE: 5A* 3A 2B'S
Predicted: A* A* A* A (Further)
Applied: Imperial, Manchester, Cambridge , Bath Birmingham
Offer: Birmingham, Manchester
Reply 70
Original post by Student-95
AAAB exceeds the requirement AAA. The only issue would be if they specifically ask for maths for example and your B is in maths. Then they are asking for an A in maths and you only have a B.

Well my B is in Further Maths? I have a predicted A in maths. Will that make any difference..?

Based on what you're saying, would applying to a uni with an A*AA be okay or is that a stretch...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by R2-D2
Well my B is in Further Maths? I have a predicted A in maths. Will that make any difference..?

Based on what you're saying, would applying to a uni with an A*AA be okay or is that a stretch...

Should be fine then if they require maths and not further maths. You don't have the grades for A*AA
Reply 72
GCSE's- 6A*,2A,1B
A-levels- Maths FM Physics Chemistry
Predicted: A*(obtained in maths), A*, A*,A* +A* (EPQ)
AS Grades AA (phy and chem)
Choices- Birmingham, Nottingham, Imperial, Cambridge (via engineering), UCL
Offers- Birmingham, Nottingham, UCL, Imperial
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 73
Have you got an interview at imperial
Original post by ndk123
GCSE's- 6A*,2A,1B
A-levels- Maths FM Physics Chemistry
Predicted: A*(obtained in maths), A*, A*,A* +A* (EPQ)
AS Grades AA (phy and chem)
Choices- Birmingham, Nottingham, Imperial, Cambridge (via engineering), UCL
Offers- Birmingham, Nottingham

Anyone doing the ENGAA? How y'all prepping for it?
Reply 74
GCSS: 1A*,7A,1B,2C (****)
As level: AAAA (maths, FM, chem, Physics) Droped FM
Predicted: A*A*A (maths, physics and chemistry respectively)
Applying to: imperial, Birmingham, Leeds, bath, Newcastle
Sent of UCAS on 24th October still waiting for offers.

How long does it take?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by Mahrez
they do interview international students because I was their interview day on wednesday

i guess my ps, predicted grades and reference were good enough to secure an offer (???) . not too sure tho, i did get the offer.
Do you think its possible for someone to get through clearing with those grades for chem eng at sheffield?
Original post by emduck
Hi, I was predicted: A*- Chemistry A-Maths and A-Physics, I also had an A in AS level biology.
Reply 77
Original post by kashc3po
Do you think its possible for someone to get through clearing with those grades for chem eng at sheffield?

Hey, I didn't actually get my predicted I ended up with AAB. I can't comment on whether you will this year, but I do know people on my course who got in through clearing with AAB, ABB so yeah it's possible.
University choices: UCL, ICL, Queen Mary's, Bath and maybe Nottingham
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Biology, Chemistry
AS grades AAAA ( 4th a in as law)
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 5A*'s 5A's
Why Chemical Engineering?
The course content is incredibly interesting, and there are so many different career opportunities.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 79
Posted on here previously without introducing myself lmao

University choices: UCL, Queen Mary, Nottingham, Surrey, Sheffield
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Further Maths
Predicted A2 grades: AAAB
GCSE grades: 7A*'s 5A's 1B + FSMQ (B)
Why Chemical Engineering?
A really interesting course that seems to be a good blend of all my A-level subjects! Also opens up many career paths afterwards.

Finishing off my UCAS atm :smile: after seeing all the predicted A*'s in this thread, i'm a lil scared but i think my predicted arent tooo bad lol:K:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest