The Student Room Group

Starting A-Levels

Hey! I'm starting my A-Levels in a few weeks and I was wondering some tips bout what to do in these final few weeks before year 12?
Cheers guys! :-)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkFauna
Hey! I'm starting my A-Levels in a few weeks and I was wondering some tips bout what to do in these final few weeks before year 12?

What subjects are you doing?
Just chill for now, if you're dead set on doing something academically, just recap on higher level GCSE stuff for your subjects...

But, when you start, please please please work all year round!! If i could go back in time, I'd do like a couple of hours a night and about 4 hours a day on weekends, not just around exam season but all year round...

I made the mistake of doing hardly any work all year and moderately stepping up during exam season and came out with bad (however not terrible) results of BCD in Maths Physics and Geography.

I would enjoy the last few remaining weeks of freedom you have and cherish them, just be fresh and ready to begin your two years of hell :smile:
Hey! Starting my A-levels too ^-^
Which subjects?
Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)

I'm doing History, German, English Literature and an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification)
Reply 6
Original post by bella2906
I would enjoy the last few remaining weeks of freedom you have and cherish them, just be fresh and ready to begin your two years of hell :smile:

That is very encouraging thank you 😂
Reply 7
Original post by notevenahuman
Hey! Starting my A-levels too ^-^
Which subjects?

Hey! I'm doing History, German, English Literature and an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification)! What about you?

Don't.
Reply 9
[QUOTE="ScienceGeek1878;73334036"]Just chill for now, if you're dead set on doing something academically, just recap on higher level GCSE stuff for your subjects...

But, when you start, please please please work all year round!! If i could go back in time, I'd do like a couple of hours a night and about 4 hours a day on weekends, not just around exam season but all year round...

I made the mistake of doing hardly any work all year and moderately stepping up during exam season and came out with bad (however not terrible) results of BCD in Maths Physics and Geography.

What subjects are you
Original post by ScienceGeek1878
Just chill for now, if you're dead set on doing something academically, just recap on higher level GCSE stuff for your subjects...

Hey! I'm doing History, English Literature, German and an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) Thanks for the advice!
Read ahead, actually do your homework when you get it so you don't end up with 10 essay to write in form time, and revise for your end of years coz thats where your predicted grades come from. For now enjoy your freedom, next year is going to be hell
Hey! I'm doing History, German, English Literature and an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification)! What about you?

History as well + Maths and Physics
(picked History course just for fun honestly and I thought it'll be good to have essay-based subject at your back)
Reply 12
History as well + Maths and Physics
(picked History course just for fun honestly and I thought it'll be good to have essay-based subject at your back)

All of mine are essay based, I worry what my hand is going to look like in 2 years time
All of mine are essay based, I worry what my hand is going to look like in 2 years time

hahaha sometimes you can chill and grab a laptop for help. WHat are you planning to read at Uni?
Reply 14
hahaha sometimes you can chill and grab a laptop for help. WHat are you planning to read at Uni?

To be honest I have no clue what to do after A-Levels, trying to keep my options open but that also means I don't know what to do next...
I'm doing History, German, English Literature and an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification)

Hi.
I do German too but I just finished year 12. Feel free to send me any messages if you have any questions :smile:
Do you know what board you will be doing?
I'm doing AQA and there is an AQA AS grammar workbook. It is from the old specification but we still use it in class and there was some transition stuff at the beginning of it that we were told to do between year 12 and 13. It's not very much but I found it useful :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by niv1234
Hi.
I do German too but I just finished year 12. Feel free to send me any messages if you have any questions :smile:
Do you know what board you will be doing?
I'm doing AQA and there is an AQA AS grammar workbook. It is from the old specification but we still use it in class and there was some transition stuff at the beginning of it that we were told to do between year 12 and 13. It's not very much but I found it useful :smile:

Thanks! I'm doing AQA and I just got the grammar workbook today coincidentally
Thanks! I'm doing AQA and I just got the grammar workbook today coincidentally

Good luck with that! Here are some of the vocabulary lists if you use quizlet:-

https://quizlet.com/Thirskschool

There are quite a few of the AQA German vocabulary lists on there.
Reply 18

Hey! I'm doing History, German, English literature too!! (and drama) but I will probably drop one and do an EPQ!! I am just doing the homework that I was set and extra grammar stuff for German
Reply 19
Original post by JEG666
Hey! I'm doing History, German, English literature too!! (and drama) but I will probably drop one and do an EPQ!! I am just doing the homework that I was set and extra grammar stuff for German

I wanted to do drama as well but my school forced us to do 3 A Levels and an EPQ because of the new Linear A-Levels so I'm in next years school production instead

Quick Reply

Latest