The Student Room Group

trig questions

hi :smile:

i have a few questions

for i) where does the minus in front of the square root come from? is it only there because a root can either be positive or negative (although shouldn't it be +/- sign then?) or does it have to do with something else? such as it being an obtuse angle?

for iii) i don't understand the effect the pi in the brackets would have to make it equal to negative k. can somebody please explain?

thank you :smile:
Original post by ashaxo99
hi :smile:

i have a few questions

for i) where does the minus in front of the square root come from? is it only there because a root can either be positive or negative (although shouldn't it be +/- sign then?) or does it have to do with something else? such as it being an obtuse angle?

for iii) i don't understand the effect the pi in the brackets would have to make it equal to negative k. can somebody please explain?

thank you :smile:

Part (i)
An obtuse angle is between π2\frac{\pi}{2} and π\pi.

If you look at the graph of y=cos(x)y=\cos(x), you will see that the curve lies below the xx axis in this region, and so you need the negative sign.

In brief, if θ\theta is obtuse, then cos(θ)<0\cos (\theta ) < 0, hence the negative sign is required.

Part (iii)
If you look at the graph of y=sin(x)y=\sin(x), you will see that it cycles every 2π2\pi radians. If you go along π\pi radians, then the output value is the negative of the original output.
The same is true for cos(x)\cos(x)

So basically, sin(θ+π)=sin(θ)\sin(\theta + \pi) = -\sin(\theta) and cos(θ+π)=cos(θ)\cos (\theta + \pi) = -\cos(\theta )

What is tan(θ+π)\tan (\theta + \pi) in terms of tan(θ)\tan (\theta)? (Think of the period of the tan function).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ashaxo99

If x^2 = 4, x = (+/-) 2. So cos@ = (+/-) Sqrt[1 - (sin@)^2]

You have to pick a +ve or -ve solution. You know cos@ is -ve for an obtuse angle.

iii) is by defn, so you've not done your homework :tongue: You can see on a graph sin90 = 1 and sin270 = - 1. More generally if sin@ = k, then sin(@ + Pi) = - k.

This is because sin@ is odd, with rotational symmetry about (@ + Pi/2, 0) i.e) the point in-between.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest