The Student Room Group
erm dunno depends on the situation an context an shizzle. i think it may be discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation. u deffo couldnt do it in the work place.
Reply 2
actually, it's only illegal to call someone a "paki" or "nigger" if the person deems it is racially abusive and presses charges. otherwise you are just pointing out what they are. however, if you then throw an insult into, i don't know. depends on the motivation i guess. though again, i may be wrong.

don't think it has become the law yet, no, bout gay and poof but i can't be sure.
Reply 3
It could be seen as harrasment judging by the social stigma regarding both words, which I would have thought is illegal.
Reply 4
the person has to prove the intent is harmful though to make saying the word abusive. hence why black people can use the word nigger but not whites, which in itself is a form of racism.
Reply 5
Digitiser
It's not 'illegal' to say anything in the UK (in the context of discriminatory or derogative) words, just frowned upon, or not 'PC'.

To a certain extent this is true. If you go around shouting abuse at people generally, however, and cause them alarm and distress, then you will find yourself on the receiving end of a breach of the peace charge.

A constable is more likely to arrest you in these circumstances if you're being racially abusive.

$loth
It could be seen as harrasment judging by the social stigma regarding both words, which I would have thought is illegal.

Harassment, at least in a legal context, is not deemed to occur from one event alone. It must be a sustained series of incidents.

Latest

Trending

Trending