STUDENTGCSE2017
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I have so far decided to take maths and physics. In addition to Art, those to subjects are the only others which I enjoy and am good at. There are no other subjects that appeal to me except from art. However, what job wants art? The only job I can see Art complimenting with physics and maths could possibly be architecture? But I think art is more or a hobby.

If I do pick art and don't need it for any job, then I will only have 2 useful A levels.
I'm stressing out at the moment.
hannahrl1708
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd say, maybe art could show you have a creative mind? And creativity links to y'know coming up with creative ideas and such? I'm not sure haha, I was going to choose A level art but I changed it to psychology. I actually read some other threads similar to this, A level art requires a lot of hard work - every subject does but it really does take up a lot of time according to others (i relate to this because i did art in IGCSE which was very time consuming) - so if you get a decent grade, not only does it show creativity but it also shows good time management and determination through hard work
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends on what you wish to do with it in the future, almost all A levels will be pointless to some.
ihatePE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
art is the most painful, time consuming subject. art is subjective, i don't get how some teachers under grade some art work. i know people who have amazing art work and get Bs which doesnt reflect them well. its not worth it imo
aleksceramics
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Having art as an A level didn't stop me from getting an interview from Cambridge and an offer (firmly accepted!) from KCL
bloated_utopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Why do you think every A level choice has to be framed in terms of what job it might lead to? I accept that maths, physics and art is a very unusual combination of A levels, and actually isn't a very wise combination, but that doesn't mean in any way art is 'pointless'. Art is actually an incredibly difficult A level, and its 'value' far exceeds a huge number of others in my opinion. However, you'd probably be better off taking it as a fourth A level in your case, and doing a coherent set of three - though your point about architecture is very valid. Is this something you're interested in?
it's not that unusual, many take that combination for architecture. this combination would also be great for video game design, website design, digital art, product design, and probably a whole load of other stuff. plus op could still go into a purely physics/maths based career seeing as they have the required two maths/science subjects, or go into a range of creative careers.
beastmode1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you enjoy it who cares if its useful
Flocoa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All 4 of my A-Levels are Linear including: Art, Eng Lang, Eng Lit and History (I did an EPQ too). When I do my work towards Art, I tend not to think of it as a subject but more of a paint and chill time (I'm at an A/A* atm) Which goes against the mindset of thinking A Level Art is a ton of work, which it is, but if you enjoy it, the time flies by. Originally, I was going to take Psychology instead of Art but swapped my options mainly due to the fact that I adore Art as a subject, the whole vibe of our class is so relaxed and it really throws you into a creative environment and aura. The secondary purpose I had when taking Art, was that I thought it would make me a more rounded individual in my application, as all my other A Levels were essay based.

I guess in your case, if you really want to justify taking art in terms of applications/jobs, it just goes to show that as a candidate you don't have such an objective mindset in regards to taking Physics and Maths, instead you have a balance with subjectivity which is always great!

I have a friend in my art class who is taking the same A Levels as you and she didn't regret taking Art one bit, as she found the heavy objective learning of Physics/Maths made her look forward to Art even more just due to the 'refreshing' change in working environment.

Regarding whether Art is "useful" I don't think it should matter. I took all my A-Levels not knowing what I wanted to take at degree, but somehow ended up at the end of Y12 wanting to look into Linguistics, a degree that doesn't prioritise any A-Level more than others
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you are good at Maths why not also do Further Maths. Do all 4 subjects through to AS level and maybe by that time you might have an idea what degree you want to do then drop one you don't need.
cabbageslaw
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Flocoa)
All 4 of my A-Levels are Linear including: Art, Eng Lang, Eng Lit and History (I did an EPQ too). When I do my work towards Art, I tend not to think of it as a subject but more of a paint and chill time (I'm at an A/A* atm) Which goes against the mindset of thinking A Level Art is a ton of work, which it is, but if you enjoy it, the time flies by. Originally, I was going to take Psychology instead of Art but swapped my options mainly due to the fact that I adore Art as a subject, the whole vibe of our class is so relaxed and it really throws you into a creative environment and aura. The secondary purpose I had when taking Art, was that I thought it would make me a more rounded individual in my application, as all my other A Levels were essay based.

I guess in your case, if you really want to justify taking art in terms of applications/jobs, it just goes to show that as a candidate you don't have such an objective mindset in regards to taking Physics and Maths, instead you have a balance with subjectivity which is always great!

I have a friend in my art class who is taking the same A Levels as you and she didn't regret taking Art one bit, as she found the heavy objective learning of Physics/Maths made her look forward to Art even more just due to the 'refreshing' change in working environment.

Regarding whether Art is "useful" I don't think it should matter. I took all my A-Levels not knowing what I wanted to take at degree, but somehow ended up at the end of Y12 wanting to look into Linguistics, a degree that doesn't prioritise any A-Level more than others
How did you manage oo? I'm studying Eng lit, history, maths and art for my as level right now and despite loving art, I am contemplating whether I should drop it after my exams since I am adamant on getting an English degree in uni. Art takes up literally 90% of my time such that I have no time to consolidate what I've learnt in history and english
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would not say so.
Flocoa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cabbageslaw)
How did you manage oo? I'm studying Eng lit, history, maths and art for my as level right now and despite loving art, I am contemplating whether I should drop it after my exams since I am adamant on getting an English degree in uni. Art takes up literally 90% of my time such that I have no time to consolidate what I've learnt in history and english
I guess the good thing about Art (excluding it as just a subject) is that you can pursue it as a hobby on the side. If you're really firm on taking English at degree and feel that you need to focus more on your other subjects then I'd recommend dropping art.

I've nearly finished my A2 Art (I think it's like 4 weeks till the final 15 hour exam!!) and 60% of my grade is already at A* because of my last project. I haven't found it too stressful but there have been times earlier on when adding to my sketchbook felt like a chore (but it really depends on what you choose to look into, I'm glad my previous and current project have been things I am super interested in!). It is possible to continue with 4 A-Levels (with art) and succeed, my current predicted grades have been boosted to 3A* (art, eng lang and history) and an A in lit. I'm really glad I took Art though because now I'm contemplating a gap year and reapplying to uni for Art History (not 100% yet).

I think with history I took revision notes as the course went along (there's so much freaking content) if you need any advice with how best to compress all the content down, the 'Cornell note' taking system works really well! With regard to English Lit, it's probably my weakest subject and I think if I didn't take Art to A2 then I probably could have boosted my grade a bit more with extra research. Overall, if time is an issue then it's probably a good decision to drop Art (you only need 3 A Levels to get into uni anyway, so 3 strong A2 grades is way better than 4 mediocre). I'd highly recommend taking an EPQ though, it reduces entry grades into university, is something to drop into the personal statement and is really fun if you tailor it into something you're interested in.

edit: i wrote so much hoylansnehasifhhfsbfjsdfnljsf k back to revision.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by STUDENTGCSE2017)
However, what job wants art?
Well, architect, cartoonist, graphic designer, portrait painter, landscape artist, printmaker, sculptor, potter, interior designer to name a few obvious ones.
Pendragons
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Art is A LOT of work. I'd say if you are thinking of doing it as kind of a let-up in work load from the other two then don't take it. I do Art, Politics, and History and Art is by far the most work and the most stress. If you were thinking of taking it alongside subjects that are hard to get your head around (ie sciences or maths) then that might be a bad idea because you would be swamped with work (A levels are hard anyway, obviously, but that combination would make it 10 times more effort just in my opinion). Last year I was taking chemistry as well, and I dropped it because I found the switch in how I had to think in chem and in art was too different and it was causing me to fail both. Think about how your subjects sit together, like how politics and history in my case overlap a fair amount, giving less to revise overall.
alice norrie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi, sorry i realise this thread is from two years ago but i was just wondering what you went on to study at uni, i want to take art a level along with biology and psychology but i’m scared it will mean i am less likely to be accepted onto a psychology course at a good uni
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by alice norrie)
Hi, sorry i realise this thread is from two years ago but i was just wondering what you went on to study at uni, i want to take art a level along with biology and psychology but i’m scared it will mean i am less likely to be accepted onto a psychology course at a good uni
Hi alice norrie!

I don't believe that by taking art you are less likely to be accepted onto Psychology. You are already taking Biology which is great, if you want to take another subject that will relate more to Psychology then maybe Maths would be good? But ultimately, Biology and Psychology are a good match and if you really enjoy Art and you are getting good grades then I'd encourage you to do that. Also if possible try to get some psychology related work experience even if its just work shadowing so you can add that to your personal statement and stand out.

Hope this helps

Erin - Official Student Rep
alice norrie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thank you so much!
emilaylay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m taking it alongside chemistry and biology and planning on doing chem for uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (103)
28.37%
No - I have already returned home (46)
12.67%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (70)
19.28%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (38)
10.47%
No - I live at home during term anyway (106)
29.2%

Watched Threads