purple_cloud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey,

For my A Level choices, I have decided on English Literature and Psychology (with an EPQ) for definite. However, I'm still undecided on my 3rd subject.

I was originally going to go with German, however, I'm not confident in my ability and interest - I feel as though they will probably decrease when I actually start 6th form.

So I have come up with a series of backup choices, but I would like to know which ones would fit in my combination. I am hoping to take English Literature at university and perhaps law for post grad.

Here are my options:
- classical civilisation (is this a facilitating subject?)
- latin
- biology
- maths (least preferable)

If anyone has any insight on which subject would be best to take, I would be very grateful!

Thanks
sophia_ah3
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bxcks_)
Hey,

For my A Level choices, I have decided on English Literature and Psychology (with an EPQ) for definite. However, I'm still undecided on my 3rd subject.

I was originally going to go with German, however, I'm not confident in my ability and interest - I feel as though they will probably decrease when I actually start 6th form.

So I have come up with a series of backup choices, but I would like to know which ones would fit in my combination. I am hoping to take English Literature at university and perhaps law for post grad.

Here are my options:
- classical civilisation (most preferable)
- latin
- maths

If anyone has any insight on which subject would be best to take, I would be very grateful!

Thanks
Hey!
So I am also choosing my A-level options too, and have had so much advice from people, so I'll try and impart some of that knowledge ahah.

To be honest, all of those options are really great (all facilitating subjects!) I see why you're having difficulty.
I think if you're having doubts about German, perhaps trust your instincts and don't go with it, remember that there is a massive difference between GCSE languages and A-level languages standard.

English Lit & psychology are heavily essay based subjects, with long exam times as well. For that reason, potentially Classics may be less good, because it is also heavily essay based. Maths would be a nice break from all the writing that will come with English & psychology, but only take it if you are very good at maths (ie. minimum of an A- or a 7 in the new GCSE) because it's a very difficult subject. Personally I think you should do Latin (I'm slightly biased because I'm taking it and I love it- sorry!) because it helps you with your English so much, and is that basis of all Romance languages, as well as the fact that unis love it, especially for Law.

However, all of your options here could work equally well, so go with the one you enjoy the most, and are best at. Also, Results Day may help you out a bit as well, if you get a higher/lower grade in these subjects that can help you make a decision too.

Best of luck!
ecila21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,

Here are my options:
- classical civilisation (most preferable)
- latin
- maths

Thanks
I think you said yourself which subject is best to take. If classical civilisation is what you want to take most, go for it! It's a great subject and would go well with English Literature. Whilst languages and maths are highly regarded, if you think you would enjoy classical civilisation more then go for it! You'll have a lot of essays to write, I'm sure, but if you enjoy essays then that won't be as bad as slogging through maths problems which you're not quite so keen on
purple_cloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by sophia_ah3)
Hey!
So I am also choosing my A-level options too, and have had so much advice from people, so I'll try and impart some of that knowledge ahah.

To be honest, all of those options are really great (all facilitating subjects!) I see why you're having difficulty.
I think if you're having doubts about German, perhaps trust your instincts and don't go with it, remember that there is a massive difference between GCSE languages and A-level languages standard.

English Lit & psychology are heavily essay based subjects, with long exam times as well. For that reason, potentially Classics may be less good, because it is also heavily essay based. Maths would be a nice break from all the writing that will come with English & psychology, but only take it if you are very good at maths (ie. minimum of an A- or a 7 in the new GCSE) because it's a very difficult subject. Personally I think you should do Latin (I'm slightly biased because I'm taking it and I love it- sorry!) because it helps you with your English so much, and is that basis of all Romance languages, as well as the fact that unis love it, especially for Law.

However, all of your options here could work equally well, so go with the one you enjoy the most, and are best at. Also, Results Day may help you out a bit as well, if you get a higher/lower grade in these subjects that can help you make a decision too.

Best of luck!
Thanks for your advice!

Tbh I think maths might be a bit of a far cry since I don't think I'll be able to keep up :/ Regarding Latin, I did actually find it interesting and quite fun at GCSE, but honestly, it was probably the most stressful thing I have ever done! Since you have taken it, how did you find the workload of the subject? I don't really have that much insight in the Classics course but I was thinking that it might be a nice break from my other subjects, although now that you mention it, it's probably not a good idea to have all essay-based subjects~
On the other hand, I was also thinking about Biology, since I really did enjoy it at GCSE...
purple_cloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecila21)
I think you said yourself which subject is best to take. If classical civilisation is what you want to take most, go for it! It's a great subject and would go well with English Literature. Whilst languages and maths are highly regarded, if you think you would enjoy classical civilisation more then go for it! You'll have a lot of essays to write, I'm sure, but if you enjoy essays then that won't be as bad as slogging through maths problems which you're not quite so keen on

Thanks for your advice!

You're probably right about that, however it's probably going to be tough if I take all essay-based subjects, right? I should probably try and balance it out~
sophia_ah3
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for your advice!

Tbh I think maths might be a bit of a far cry since I don't think I'll be able to keep up :/ Regarding Latin, I did actually find it interesting and quite fun at GCSE, but honestly, it was probably the most stressful thing I have ever done! Since you have taken it, how did you find the workload of the subject? I don't really have that much insight in the Classics course but I was thinking that it might be a nice break from my other subjects, although now that you mention it, it's probably not a good idea to have all essay-based subjects~
On the other hand, I was also thinking about Biology, since I really did enjoy it at GCSE...
No problem!
Umm I found Latin pretty enjoyable, but then I did have (and will have) an absolutely brilliant teacher. In terms of workload, looking back, it had one of the highest workloads of all my subjects, but that may be why I feel a lot better at it than other subjects. (Even if I did find the exams fairly hard- did you do WJEC or OCR, and how did you find the exams?)
To be fair, my sister did Classics, English lit, Latin & psychology, and really enjoyed all of them, ending up doing a classics degree, and she was ok with all the essay-based subjects, so it's definitely doable.

I think biology would be a nice change/break from your other subjects, and psychology and biology do go together well. However I'm not sure how useful it would be for your end goal of an English lit/law degree, and your spread of subjects seem more science based if you do biology, as opposed to latin/classics/german which compliments the law/english lit degree.
Lsb991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,

Here are my options:
- classical civilisation
- latin
- biology
- maths (least preferable)

Thanks
If you're unsure about German and feel as if your interest will fall I'd advise choosing something you enjoy, because A levels are very tough and the more you like the subject the easier it is to do well. I take Biology the workload is intense so again only do it if you will enjoy it, also it is different from gcse biology as you have to apply your knowledge not just memorise facts which may be hard(especially as bio exams have become much tougher). I also take maths which has a lower workload but instead, unless you are good at maths, it is a very difficult workload.
Regardless, if you enjoy a subject and think you will do well in it then I feel this is the best thing you can do. Also, some law firms ask for around AAB see here: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law...ction-criteria
and the general advice for law is to take what you will do well in as most unis dont specify essential A levels, although the facilitating a levels may help you gain a univerity place (I am not sure if law firms favor certain a levels). check uni's websites as they will say if they require a certain number of facilitating subjects.
Good Luck
TheFame
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for your advice!

You're probably right about that, however it's probably going to be tough if I take all essay-based subjects, right? I should probably try and balance it out~
Yeah, it will be tough, but it's been done by many students before! All A Levels are tough, so you're best off picking the subjects you genuinely enjoy. I can't see much point in studying maths or sciences if you're planning on studying English Lit at uni. I reckon Classics is the way to go, and I imagine it'll fit nicely with your other subjects.
purple_cloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheFame)
Yeah, it will be tough, but it's been done by many students before! All A Levels are tough, so you're best off picking the subjects you genuinely enjoy. I can't see much point in studying maths or sciences if you're planning on studying English Lit at uni. I reckon Classics is the way to go, and I imagine it'll fit nicely with your other subjects.
Thanks! I've been thinking actually, and I'm more so taken towards Classics - it's probably the best choice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (161)
44.48%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (76)
20.99%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
6.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed