How hard is the practical endorsement for A level chemistry/Biology? Watch

CharliesUK
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm taking A level chemistry and biology as a private candidate and I'm going to try to do all 12 practicals within one year along with the exam papers ( as I need to get these a levels within a 2 year period).

How hard are the practicals for AQA and are there any examples online which I can practice upon as I have no clue where to look. The center has told me it will only test me not show me anything.
ScienceGeek1878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not hard at all.

Usually they tie in with your studies so I'm not sure how that would work as a private candidate.

We were given a practical sheet for each one with was basically a step by step guide
PhilR99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You'll pretty much pass for remembering how to breathe.

In all seriousness though, you'll have no issues if you just follow instructions, especially since it's all internally assessed.

(Edit) Just read your post properly, so you won't have it assessed by your school/college, but you'll be able to find instructions and just follow them, so there'll be no problem.
CharliesUK
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhilR99)
You'll pretty much pass for remembering how to breathe.

In all seriousness though, you'll have no issues if you just follow instructions, especially since it's all internally assessed.
The only thing I'm worried about is that I have no knowledge of A level chemistry and I've just begun learning it now. I will be doing all 12 this year .

At gcse I achieved an A* in chemistry and B in biology.
CharliesUK
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScienceGeek1878)
Not hard at all.

Usually they tie in with your studies so I'm not sure how that would work as a private candidate.

We were given a practical sheet for each one with was basically a step by step guide
Oh great, but I am self teaching biology and chemistry as the college is ONLY doing btec and apprenticeships now and I can't afford to move house again.
PhilR99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CharliesUK)
The only thing I'm worried about is that I have no knowledge of A level chemistry and I've just begun learning it now. I will be doing all 12 this year .

At gcse I achieved an A* in chemistry and B in biology.
Oh Fair enough. To be honest the theory isn't necessarily that crucial. Presumably you did coursework at GCSE? It's like that, with less writing and explaining to do, at least for chemistry and physics it was. I can't really speak for biology but I imagine it's the same. A* at GCSE means you definitely have nothing to worry about.
username2207531
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The organic chemistry practicals get quite tricky but if you have good research skills you will find helpful videos/papers out there. The biology ones are basically "cut the celery and look at the pretty purple holes". Do you have access to a laboratory?

The AQA website should have a teacher's guide for the practicals (pdf) which help you out with how they are marked and stuff. However to pass AQA practicals you need someone watching you do it. I'm not sure how you'll do that. Are you just joining a class at the centre for practicals?
CharliesUK
Rep:
?
(Original post by JustJusty)
The organic chemistry practicals get quite tricky but if you have good research skills you will find helpful videos/papers out there. The biology ones are basically "cut the celery and look at the pretty purple holes". Do you have access to a laboratory?

The AQA website should have a teacher's guide for the practicals (pdf) which help you out with how they are marked and stuff. However to pass AQA practicals you need someone watching you do it. I'm not sure how you'll do that. Are you just joining a class at the centre for practicals?
The test center does have a laboratory but I've never been there or seen it.

There are around 16 other students who have applied at the private centre so I will be doing it alongside them.
CharliesUK
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhilR99)
Oh Fair enough. To be honest the theory isn't necessarily that crucial. Presumably you did coursework at GCSE? It's like that, with less writing and explaining to do, at least for chemistry and physics it was. I can't really speak for biology but I imagine it's the same. A* at GCSE means you definitely have nothing to worry about.
Oh thanks . That makes me feel a bit better.
CharliesUK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I'm afraid I'm going to be less gung ho about it than some of the other contributors to this thread. They're not a 'gimmie' - some of them, particularly in Chemistry, require a fair bit of work. In your case, this work is significantly amplified as a private candidate, because the routine, non-assessed practical work is going to be entirely absent from your course. In other words, the only time you'll be doing practical work is when it's being assessed - which is very much less than ideal.

Also, has your college where you're at agreed to let you do the practical endorsement there? If they have, this is a huge benefit for you - the worst aspect of the new specifications for private candidates is this need for practical endorsement and the problem of finding a centre willing to offer it.
Yes I understand.

I've currently booked and paid for a practical endorsement at a private centre, not a college. I was thinking about not doing it but for a science degree I heard it was a must.

I've paid for it at this centre: http://www.aectuition.co.uk/science-practical/
DrAwesome123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Where are you doing the practical endorsements if you don't mind me asking?

Even I'm doing Biology/Chemistry as a private candidate and will be doing the practicals soon.
gxsellef
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm taking A level chemistry and biology as a private candidate and I'm going to try to do all 12 practicals within one year along with the exam papers ( as I need to get these a levels within a 2 year period).

How hard are the practicals for AQA and are there any examples online which I can practice upon as I have no clue where to look. The center has told me it will only test me not show me anything.
I did OCR chem but AQA bio. We used to mess around in class, barely did the practicals and copied other peoples' results and methods and we all managed to pass. If you want to know more about what the actual practicals entail, there's a youtube channel called "Biology practicals and biology revision tutor" and she's made a playlist of how to do all the AQA biology ones which are really decent.
CharliesUK
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrAwesome123)
Where are you doing the practical endorsements if you don't mind me asking?

Even I'm doing Biology/Chemistry as a private candidate and will be doing the practicals soon.
I'm doing them here: http://www.aectuition.co.uk/
CharliesUK
Rep:
?
(Original post by gxsellef)
I did OCR chem but AQA bio. We used to mess around in class, barely did the practicals and copied other peoples' results and methods and we all managed to pass. If you want to know more about what the actual practicals entail, there's a youtube channel called "Biology practicals and biology revision tutor" and she's made a playlist of how to do all the AQA biology ones which are really decent.
Oh thank you so much . I will definitely look at the videos
DrAwesome123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing them here: http://www.aectuition.co.uk/
Ah okay. (Damn, I thought I found a classmate )

I've done a few of the practicals before and from what I remember, they are pretty manageable. Do some research on the topic before class and you should be fine.
CharliesUK
Rep:
?
Ah okay. (Damn, I thought I found a classmate )

I've done a few of the practicals before and from what I remember, they are pretty manageable. Do some research on the topic before class and you should be fine.
darn. Where are you doing it and do you mind if I ask how much you paid?

Oh and will do
DrAwesome123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
darn. Where are you doing it and do you mind if I ask how much you paid?

Oh and will do
I'm doing mines at http://www.englishandmaths.com/

I paid £825 per subject which includes the 12 practicals and the 3 written papers. (I'm still crying about how much money I've spent lol). What about you?
CharliesUK
Rep:
?
I'm doing mines at http://www.englishandmaths.com/

I paid £825 per subject which includes the 12 practicals and the 3 written papers. (I'm still crying about how much money I've spent lol). What about you?
Oh same, I spent £1650 lol. for both biology and chemistry. It includes the 12 practicals and 3 written papers.

It is alot
DrAwesome123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh same, I spent £1650 lol. for both biology and chemistry. It includes the 12 practicals and 3 written papers.

It is alot
I know right :/ . But I guess the fact that we paid so much money will motivate us to work harder.
Are these the only subjects you are taking? What are you planning to do after A Levels? (Sorry, too many questions. Ignore me if you want lol).
CharliesUK
Rep:
?
I know right :/ . But I guess the fact that we paid so much money will motivate us to work harder.
Are these the only subjects you are taking? What are you planning to do after A Levels? (Sorry, too many questions. Ignore me if you want lol).
True.
I'm also taking A2 maths A2 computer science and I've dropped Physics from AS. (I am also doing these externally as our college doesn't do A levels anymore).

I'm thinking about doing either software engineering or something similar or going into medicine, thats why I need to do it within the 2 year timeframe. It will be stressful -_-
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed