Turn on thread page Beta

Give it to me straight!!!! Good/Bad watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I need advice/comfort from people who are experts in this kind of thing because im literally losing sleep over my application for medicine which im gonna submit in a month. Gonna be applying to UCL, Kings, Imperial and Queen Mary.
    My story goes like this. I got 6A's and 4B's at GCSE. The B's were in non-science, language and geography subjects.
    In my AS Levels i was a little disappointed. In chemistry i was 3 marks off an A but it was all down to 1 paper so im gonna retake that in january. In history i was 6 marks off an A but again that was all down to 1 paper so another retake. Biology was 11 marks off an A but gonna try and bring it up as much as possible. Maths i got a C but its the one im dropping.
    So right now for my A-Level subjects im on BBB but i reckon coz of my relatively simple situation in chemistry and history i shud end up after the resits with AAB hopefully, with still my A-Level exams to go. I know ive got to work my arse off but im gonna go for it.
    By the way ive got work experience working in a pharmacy, shadowing the physiotherapy department and shadowing in the intensive care unit with alot of stories to tell in the interview, and ive done my personal statement and i think its pretty decent.
    So overall, whats my situation looking like. Be honest?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Give it to you straight?... humm ok, i'm going to be harsh then... Your GCSE grades are O.K, would be nice to have at least 7 A's though some med schools specify only 5, most applicants will have 7 or more, as well as A*, so you are already a little behind... Quite a few B's but as you said in subjects not related to medicine, though you mentioned languages, was the B in English lang or Lit?... the minimum requirement is a B in Lang and Maths... so you should be ok so far, not brilliant but OK.

Now the AS thing is a problem, a few marks off an A in chem is NOT good, in fact you should be in the high A's if you remotely stand a chance of getting an A grade in Chem (which is vital)... i would say 270 out of 300 in chem should be your target and if you work hard you should get an A in the final year (which is VERY hard, expect to drop about 20-30 marks in total), the same goes for Biology, if you are not hitting highish A's now then the final year you will stuggle, i worked very hard in Biology in the final year and got a B in one of the paper, but due to my AS grade of about 286 i still got an A... don't expect to hit A's in the final year.

Now you work experience to be honest is not up to scratch, you have done a lot of work shadowing and a lot of stories, but what does that prove?... that you can sit around and watch people do their job... NO!... this does NOT stand out... i suggest you do a 1 or 2 week residential helping disabled people and working in a hospital talking to patients, moving them around... you need more patient/human contact... work with children with learning difficulties... You also need the usual sport/music/DoE if you can, something you can contribute to university life... if you don't start doing it NOW....

Now that was being VERY straight and harsh... looking at the universities you applied to, they are all in London which is disadvantage, UCL you have to do the BMAT and you need to score well in that (it is NOT easy), Imperial is not easy, Kings i don't know but Queen mary is a little easier to get into not that many applicants...

You can't change much of what you have done, just get your GOOD a-level predictions and pray you get the grades... work on your PS to make it stand out, don't rely on what you have done to make it stand out because to be honest it is mediocre...

If you need help about improving your work experience i can probably help you as i am guessing you live in the London area...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ed)
    Hi. I need advice/comfort from people who are experts in this kind of thing because im literally losing sleep over my application for medicine which im gonna submit in a month. Gonna be applying to UCL, Kings, Imperial and Queen Mary.
    My story goes like this. I got 6A's and 4B's at GCSE. The B's were in non-science, language and geography subjects.
    In my AS Levels i was a little disappointed. In chemistry i was 3 marks off an A but it was all down to 1 paper so im gonna retake that in january. In history i was 6 marks off an A but again that was all down to 1 paper so another retake. Biology was 11 marks off an A but gonna try and bring it up as much as possible. Maths i got a C but its the one im dropping.
    So right now for my A-Level subjects im on BBB but i reckon coz of my relatively simple situation in chemistry and history i shud end up after the resits with AAB hopefully, with still my A-Level exams to go. I know ive got to work my arse off but im gonna go for it.
    By the way ive got work experience working in a pharmacy, shadowing the physiotherapy department and shadowing in the intensive care unit with alot of stories to tell in the interview, and ive done my personal statement and i think its pretty decent.
    Thanks.
    Hey, are London unis the only ones you persoanlly can apply to? Otherwise, I'd advise you to choose a few (probably 2) non London ones, especially ones with ABB typical offer as all London medical schools now have a typical offer of AAB.

ReputationRep:
    I think the above poster said it pretty well. Just wanted to say Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    UCL is now AAB, I think Kings is still ABB and QM not sure about Imperial... I was going to say, and this is a theory, that at best expect maybe 2 offers from the London universities, 4 london offers is unlikely as i have a sneaky feeling they try and keep the duplicate london offers to a minumum (i.e they kind of work together)... because it would be unfair to other people applying from outside london when someone who lives in london gets 4 offers and will only take 1 meaning the other 3 lose out...

ReputationRep:
    according to ucas all 4 ask for AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wejk)
    according to ucas all 4 ask for AAB
    Yes they do, as from this year (entry 2005)

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield ask for ABB, and a bit further away Cardiff too ask for ABB. Brighton-Sussex asked for ABB but from this year I think it's AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    UCL is now AAB, I think Kings is still ABB and QM not sure about Imperial... I was going to say, and this is a theory, that at best expect maybe 2 offers from the London universities, 4 london offers is unlikely as i have a sneaky feeling they try and keep the duplicate london offers to a minumum (i.e they kind of work together)... because it would be unfair to other people applying from outside london when someone who lives in london gets 4 offers and will only take 1 meaning the other 3 lose out...
    as of 2005, all UoL med schools will be AAB - as already pointed out. This has been confirmed by the Head of Admissions at Barts and St Georges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    yh, kings and QM are definately both asking for ABB. they look at gcse maths and english and require at least a B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    yh, kings and QM are definately both asking for ABB. they look at gcse maths and english and require at least a B
    Wow, your avatar's pretty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Wow, your avatar's pretty!
    thanks..i found it ages ago but i finally decided not to be lazy and re-size it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    im sure all london med schools require AAB now (according to ucas), where did u hear that bsms want AAB cus on their website they say they want ABB and thats what they told me when i rang them although apparently 50 places are already taken up.

ReputationRep:
    but in both of their 2005 entry prospectus' they say they require AAB. Who's right. Because if you are right and Kings and QM require ABB then thats fantastic. How sure are you about those grades????

ReputationRep:
    im only going on what ucas says and that other people have told me that they are increasing the grades to AAB in london. the only way to find out for certain is to ring them though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ed)
    but in both of their 2005 entry prospectus' they say they require AAB. Who's right. Because if you are right and Kings and QM require ABB then thats fantastic. How sure are you about those grades????

See: http://www.admissionsforum.co.uk/sho...93&postcount=3

Admissions is the head of Admissions at Barts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ed)
    :confused: umm, my friend is starting dentistry at kings this yr, and she looked into QM as well. im quoting her

ReputationRep:
    :confused: umm, my friend is starting dentistry at kings this yr, and she looked into QM as well. im quoting her

That's for 2004! Entry requirements for 2005 are going up to AAB for UoL schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ed)
    Thanks.

For my GCSE's i got 3 A* 3A and 2B's.
    I got 3A's and a B for As and was predicted 3A's

I still only got 1 interview and luckily manged to get a conditional offer from them. So honestly looking at your grades u could do a lot better.

Try and get your teachers to predict as high as possible. And do as much work experience and voluntary work as possible. Your personal statement will have to be excellent too and if you want to see mine then pm me.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with that really long post at the start..(sorry, didnt see who posted it) but i just wanna say that i got 240/300 for AS bio (exactly an A) and 239/300 for AS chem (one mark under).. so i was not expected to get As at A-level.. they originally predicted me 2 Bs, but i managed to change BIo to an A... anyway.. my point is that even if ur ASs arent great dont let it put you off. If you work hard at A-level and do retakes (yes, i know some people consider it cheating but if you can, you may as well scrape as many marks as you can) then you have a good chance of getting the grades. I only did one chemistry retake, but made the difference between and A and a B, i.e. the differnce between getting into med school or not. Also, i ended up resitting the entire AS biology, effectively, again, allowing me to get an A. So yeah, its gonna be a bit more difficult for you cos of the ASs, but work hard and you'll get there.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.