Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte*)
    I agree with that really long post at the start..(sorry, didnt see who posted it) but i just wanna say that i got 240/300 for AS bio (exactly an A) and 239/300 for AS chem (one mark under).. so i was not expected to get As at A-level.. they originally predicted me 2 Bs, but i managed to change BIo to an A... anyway.. my point is that even if ur ASs arent great dont let it put you off. If you work hard at A-level and do retakes (yes, i know some people consider it cheating but if you can, you may as well scrape as many marks as you can) then you have a good chance of getting the grades. I only did one chemistry retake, but made the difference between and A and a B, i.e. the differnce between getting into med school or not. Also, i ended up resitting the entire AS biology, effectively, again, allowing me to get an A. So yeah, its gonna be a bit more difficult for you cos of the ASs, but work hard and you'll get there.
    Thank you. I appreciate the faith alot. Im going to do it. I dont care how many sacrifices i have to make. Im going to get at least AAB in A Level and im goin to get into university and study medicine. (Positive thinking, not arrogance, i promise)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ed)
    Thank you. I appreciate the faith alot. Im going to do it. I dont care how many sacrifices i have to make. Im going to get at least AAB in A Level and im goin to get into university and study medicine. (Positive thinking, not arrogance, i promise)
    I like you. I hope you come to Barts

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield and Dundee ask for ABB, as does Aberdeen I think (all from this year's prospectus for 2005). And they're all decent unis and according to Times Guide Aberdeen comes 6th for medicine, same as Cambridge. Although I have no idea when the ranking was it should bee quite recent but I'm up for anyone's correction!

Hope you get in Dr Ed! I like your attitude cus some people's "are these grades good enough" are really irritating Go for it! If you want it bad enough you'll get it cus you'll really work your socks off ! (unlike me )

And do you seriously need high A's this year to get possible A's at A2? :eek: yeks my A's are pretty low in fact very low - but that's all because of one stupid module :mad: for both subjects cus the rest of my module marks are very high :mad: :mad: I blame myself for biology and I blame the teacher for Eng Lit :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Sheffield and Dundee ask for ABB, as does Aberdeen I think (all from this year's prospectus for 2005). And they're all decent unis and according to Times Guide Aberdeen comes 6th for medicine, same as Cambridge. Although I have no idea when the ranking was it should bee quite recent but I'm up for anyone's correction!

Hope you get in Dr Ed! I like your attitude cus some people's "are these grades good enough" are really irritating Go for it! If you want it bad enough you'll get it cus you'll really work your socks off ! (unlike me )

And do you seriously need high A's this year to get possible A's at A2? :eek: yeks my A's are pretty low in fact very low - but that's all because of one stupid module :mad: for both subjects cus the rest of my module marks are very high :mad: :mad: I blame myself for biology and I blame the teacher for Eng Lit :mad:
    Well that's a good thing actually- that only one module messed up your grades 'cause now at least you know for definite which paper you should resit (which is better than all your modules being averagely low).

ReputationRep:
    Ummm you have a point

But me no want resits Truth is I'm not confident enough to resit and know I'll make the grades again - more likely than not I'll get lower than before - which would pull me down to a B. Plus I don't care about Eng Lit I'd drop it if I hadn't got an A. And still thinking if resits are worth it cus by the time I resit, I'd have been to uni interviews and got offers/rejections so how much difference does resitting make in terms of uni offers? And how drastically does it affect your A2 grades???

Trouble is I'm thinking of Cambridge and I dunno how much they'd mind, and the essential one, Chemistry I got a C in, mark off a B - but we send off forms in Oct so what difference would a resit make? I'm applying for Cambridge anyway, but still... chances not looking good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Ummm you have a point

But me no want resits Truth is I'm not confident enough to resit and know I'll make the grades again - more likely than not I'll get lower than before - which would pull me down to a B. Plus I don't care about Eng Lit I'd drop it if I hadn't got an A. And still thinking if resits are worth it cus by the time I resit, I'd have been to uni interviews and got offers/rejections so how much difference does resitting make in terms of uni offers? And how drastically does it affect your A2 grades???

Trouble is I'm thinking of Cambridge and I dunno how much they'd mind, and the essential one, Chemistry I got a C in, mark off a B - but we send off forms in Oct so what difference would a resit make? I'm applying for Cambridge anyway, but still... chances not looking good
    No trust me, do the re-sits. In chemistry i was 3 marks off an A and it was all down to 1 paper like yourself so do the re-sit in that paper and push your overall mark up making A-Level exams that little bit easier. We send our forms off in October but alot of people dont write down their AS grades because you dont have to. Go for the re-sit!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I like you. I hope you come to Barts
    Cheers. To be honest at the moment i dont have a favoured London university. I just want to get in to a London one. I dont want to leave London which is why the competition will be tougher and entry requirements are AAB in London whilst outside London it is ABB hopefully I'll see u at Barts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ed)
    Cheers. To be honest at the moment i dont have a favoured London university. I just want to get in to a London one. I dont want to leave London which is why the competition will be tougher and entry requirements are AAB in London whilst outside London it is ABB hopefully I'll see u at Barts
    The reason the entry requirements have gone up to AAB for SGHMS, BL and UCL (or it might be GKT - can't remember) is that these unis were routinely being put down as Londons 'insurance' choices (due to the lower entry requirement - GKT (or IC) and IC had AAB reqs). This made admissions a nightmare, so they've standardised across the board to make the job of the admissions staff easier.

ReputationRep:
    See my other thread!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.