The Student Room Group

I'm an EU student, do I have a chance to get a maintenance loan?

Hi, I'm an EU full-time student and will start studying in September in the UK but I have a problem. Recently, I had to apply for accommodation in my university. I knew I had to pay a reasonable amount of money in order to reserve my room. But what I didn't know is that right after the start of the term I'll have to pay almost £2000 rent! I do not have that much money (neither does my mom) and was hoping to get a maintenance loan to help with the living costs. Unfortunately, I read that if you're an EU student, there's little to no chance of getting that loan. My question is, is there some kind of loan that I could get?
Reply 1
I am in the same situation basically and no there is no loan for EU students. But depends on which university you are going to you can get low income bursary / schoolarship if you want you can pm me so we can exchange facebooks and more information
No, we're not eligible for any maintenance loan. The lucky ones get bursaries or whatever, but of course I'm not one of those lol
Reply 3
Sadly, the only people who get a maintenance loan are those EU nationals who have lived in the UK for 5 years. It took me near 6 months to get the loan, its awful :frown:
How much is your accommodation altogether?
Hey, I'm from Germany and in the UK since 2015, I am not eligible for a maintenance loan, however, there is this migrant worker status, if you are in employment and continue being in employment whilst studying, you can apply for one. After being a UK resident for full 3 years you can apply as well.

What I would like to know now, is if I can get a maintenance loan next year, because then it's me being here for 3 years. But not sure if people can apply for it after having started their courses already. :biggrin:

Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong. It's apparently 5 years and not 3. Migrant Worker status it is then. And if we don't work at least 20 hours part time, I guess we have to have rich parents :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi. You can get maintenance loan if you have migrant worker status. This means you need to work 20 hours a week and send them your contract plus a letter from your employ over stating this. They will every couple of months request prove that you are working those 20 hours. You can apply for this loan at any time.

I've noticed that when you call them they don't tell you have this option but if you asked them how to apply for migrant worker status they'll need to inform you. Also you can't tell them that you are going to get a job so that you are able to get a maintenance loan. The rules states that you can't get a job just to get loan.

Get a weekend job in big companies that will give you a contract like retail NEXT, Sainsbury or also care worker jobs and then apply.

Contact them and ask. And say you already have a job lol.
Hope this helped you :smile: xx
Reply 6
Original post by solange.isabel
Hi. You can get maintenance loan if you have migrant worker status. This means you need to work 20 hours a week and send them your contract plus a letter from your employ over stating this. They will every couple of months request prove that you are working those 20 hours. You can apply for this loan at any time.

I've noticed that when you call them they don't tell you have this option but if you asked them how to apply for migrant worker status they'll need to inform you. Also you can't tell them that you are going to get a job so that you are able to get a maintenance loan. The rules states that you can't get a job just to get loan.

Get a weekend job in big companies that will give you a contract like retail NEXT, Sainsbury or also care worker jobs and then apply.

Contact them and ask. And say you already have a job lol.
Hope this helped you :smile: xx

20 hours ? really despite they should know that you cannot work for more than 16 hours (more than 16 hours of work is not recommended by university). I was frustrated when i came to know about it. I am still frustrated as i want to tell you literally it is very hard to study without any financial support i think if the UK government could understand we would not have been facing such a situation. I will have a word the students union and team to see what they suggest.
Original post by deep93
20 hours ? really despite they should know that you cannot work for more than 16 hours (more than 16 hours of work is not recommended by university). I was frustrated when i came to know about it. I am still frustrated as i want to tell you literally it is very hard to study without any financial support i think if the UK government could understand we would not have been facing such a situation. I will have a word the students union and team to see what they suggest.

At the end of the day the maintainance loan is for those who've paid (or their famillies have paid) their taxes in this country. It's very generous that the UK government offer it all to any EU students as its incredibly easy for them to disappear and not pay anything back. I would never think about going to another country without the means to finance my stay.
Reply 8
yes you are very right. I bet not all students disappear do they?
if they do then i don't belong to their category. I have seen EU community is more hardworking and straightforward. What i want you to know that is not everybody who comes to the UK just wants to seek welfare without working.

"GOOD HUMANS STILL EXIST"
(edited 6 years ago)
I have a slightly different problem. I'm an 18 year old EU national but I've been living in London since I was 6 years old so I don't know if I count as a home or EU student.
I'm in the same boat. I have just moved here for my studies and so far I've been financing my day-to-day life with my savings and the bank of parents. Though I am a bit bitter that I am not eligible for the maintainance loan I try to focus on the fact I at least got the loan for studies.
As for the migrant status, I haven't looked into it that much but working 20hrs a week unfortunately seems too much to be on top of my course work, sports and other social activities :frown: I am hoping to figure something out but honestly I have no idea
Original post by niv1234
I have a slightly different problem. I'm an 18 year old EU national but I've been living in London since I was 6 years old so I don't know if I count as a home or EU student.

Home

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending