The Student Room Group

Torn between two career paths / degrees

So for a while now, (at least since being around 9) I have always had the idea that I would be an Architect. I have always enjoyed not only drawing floor plans etc, but I like the aesthetics of building too. Even now at 17, I'm about to apply to Uni for Architectural Engineering.

However, I have always had a passion for all things Archaeology, Ancient History and Classical. I could sit and talk about, read about and watch documentaries on Ancient History for literally hours on end. The Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, you name it, I love it. I do Classical Civilisation at A- Level and I find it really interesting. I also love learning Latin and Ancient Greek. I've contemplated getting a PhD and becoming a professor, although it is a tough and tedious process.

To cut a long story short, I feel like engineering might lead me down a path that looks appealing, but is in essence quite mentally demanding in terms of mathematics and physics. In addition, Architects are (from what I've researched) a bit underpayed.

Do you think I have delusioned myself into Architecture from a young age? Should I change my plan of action before I apply to Uni in the next months?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
You can go to the library to study all about Ancient History and all the other stuff you're interested in. I would go down the architucture path personally but have you had a chance to speak to qualified architects/had any work experience? Also, how much do you know about studying architecture at university because from what I've heard from my friends, the course and post-uni aspects of them are very hard. As for getting paid, things may be different by the time you are qualified. I believe architects are in a bit of a lull right now in the UK but things could be different in a few years time and you still have the rest of the world open to you.

A lot of people have childhood dreams that change drastically once they hit around your age. But other people don't lose that dream and keep on going. Right now it sounds like you're much keener to go down the architect path.
Original post by EmilyHowes99
So for a while now, (at least since being around 9) I have always had the idea that I would be an Architect. I have always enjoyed not only drawing floor plans etc, but I like the aesthetics of building too. Even now at 17, I'm about to apply to Uni for Architectural Engineering.

However, I have always had a passion for all things Archaeology, Ancient History and Classical. I could sit and talk about, read about and watch documentaries on Ancient History for literally hours on end. The Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, you name it, I love it. I do Classical Civilisation at A- Level and I find it really interesting. I also love learning Latin and Ancient Greek. I've contemplated getting a PhD and becoming a professor, although it is a tough and tedious process.

To cut a long story short, I feel like engineering might lead me down a path that looks appealing, but is in essence quite mentally demanding in terms of mathematics and physics. In addition, Architects are (from what I've researched) a bit underpayed.

Do you think I have delusioned myself into Architecture from a young age? Should I change my plan of action before I apply to Uni in the next months?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I was in a similar position to you last year - was stuck between English/Business and Medical sciences. The fact you've maintained that passion for architecture since a younge age to me suggests that you should pursue that, and keep the classical civilisation related interests as a hobby and potentially take some modules in them at university. You mention architects being underpaid, but in comparison classics may have a lower employability rate (just guessing!)
You can always apply for a couple of classics courses and a couple of architectural engineering courses to keep open your options!
Original post by Ruby1997
I was in a similar position to you last year - was stuck between English/Business and Medical sciences. The fact you've maintained that passion for architecture since a younge age to me suggests that you should pursue that, and keep the classical civilisation related interests as a hobby and potentially take some modules in them at university. You mention architects being underpaid, but in comparison classics may have a lower employability rate (just guessing!)
You can always apply for a couple of classics courses and a couple of architectural engineering courses to keep open your options!

Unfortunately, our single personal statement is given to every University we apply to, so we can only chose one degree type. I was considering taking a gap year after my final year at college, not only to allow me to retake exams and raise my grades, but to explore the careers of Architects and Professors for myself. In your opinion is that a sensible thing to do?
Original post by gradmed305
You can go to the library to study all about Ancient History and all the other stuff you're interested in. I would go down the architucture path personally but have you had a chance to speak to qualified architects/had any work experience? Also, how much do you know about studying architecture at university because from what I've heard from my friends, the course and post-uni aspects of them are very hard. As for getting paid, things may be different by the time you are qualified. I believe architects are in a bit of a lull right now in the UK but things could be different in a few years time and you still have the rest of the world open to you.

A lot of people have childhood dreams that change drastically once they hit around your age. But other people don't lose that dream and keep on going. Right now it sounds like you're much keener to go down the architect path.

Yeah, I agree, I could just keep my interest of Ancient History as a hobby. Thanks for the suggestion of speaking to architects to learn more, that sounds like a good idea.
Yeah, I agree, I could just keep my interest of Ancient History as a hobby. Thanks for the suggestion of speaking to architects to learn more, that sounds like a good idea.

In general I think that if you have a specific career in mind, it's good to speak to people who are in that career (and ideally have been for a while) so they can tell you what it's really like, what the process of getting there was like, how it impacts their life, and if it was worth it. This is why med students, for example, are expected to get work experience and I really think it should extend to other careers too.
Unfortunately, our single personal statement is given to every University we apply to, so we can only chose one degree type. I was considering taking a gap year after my final year at college, not only to allow me to retake exams and raise my grades, but to explore the careers of Architects and Professors for myself. In your opinion is that a sensible thing to do?

Mine was the same - I put the science personal statement on ucas then contacted the unis in which I applied for English and sent them a copy of that personal statement and explained the situation. A couple where a bit funny about it to be fair. That seems like a very smart and mature thing to do! It will give you a chance to get some work experience, maybe earn some money and maybe raise your grades if they're not what you expected or wanted - as well as giving you time to figure out what you want to do! Good luck :smile:
As I'm sure you're already aware, there's a number of overlaps between architecture and engineering, and some, but fewer, with archaeology. I'd imagine a spectrum for each career option, and identify the worst case/best case scenario at each end of the spectrum, and see which appeals to you most.

Eg. Architecture: The worst case might be detailing bathrooms for domestic extensions. Best case might be being principal architect for a massive corporate or arts development in Rio.

See which scenario speaks to you most.
I was in a similar position at the end of my GCSEs, I love all things history especially ancient history and to this day it remains my favourite subject.However in the end I decided to pursue science and maths at A Level because in general they usually give better job prospects and I've kept history more as a hobby (weird I know!:redface:). So I'd probably do what others have said and get some architect related work experience and read around what the subjects entail at university before making a firm decision!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending