chickenfajitas
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I'm trying to self-teach some A-level topics before I start year 2. I'm learning the light dependent reaction atm, and I'm super confused.
I understand that chemiosomotic theory explains ATP synthesis but are they the same steps as ATP synthesis or is it another part of the process in the light dependent reaction?
Example:
If chemiosomotic theory is different part of process to ATP synthesis:
ATP synthesis > Chemiosomotic Theory > Photolysis of Water > Reduction of NADP
If chemiosomotic theory is same part of process to ATP synthesis:
ATP synthesis (chemiosomotic theory) > Photolysis of Water > Reduction of NADP

Because chemiosomotic theory and ATP synthesis both talk about proteins and electrons and what happens with them, but in the textbook they're both written as seperate points with different steps.
Plus, is that even the right order of the LDR?
I know this makes no sense at all because I barely get it, but hopefully one of you will be able to answer me .
Lapis.Lazuli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Non-cyclic Phosphorylation (Light Dependent):

1. Electrons in chlorophyll of PSII are excited by light energy
2. Electrons move down electron transport chain
3. These electrons are replaced by photolysis of water
4. The energy that is lost from electrons moving down the chain is used to transport protons into the thylakoid via the proton pumps so a proton gradient is formed
5. Protons move back down their concentration gradient via ATP synthase which combines ADP and Pi
6. PSI absorbs light energy which excites these electrons to a higher energy level so they are transferred to NADP with a proton from the stroma

Products: Oxygen from photolysis of water, ATP from ATP Synthase, Reduced NADP from PSI

Chemiosmosis explains the movement of protons. This results in a proton motive force which drives ATP synthase to synthesise ATP
chickenfajitas
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Lapis.Lazuli)
Non-cyclic Phosphorylation (Light Dependent):

1. Electrons in chlorophyll of PSII are excited by light energy
2. Electrons move down electron transport chain
3. These electrons are replaced by photolysis of water
4. The energy that is lost from electrons moving down the chain is used to transport protons into the thylakoid via the proton pumps so a proton gradient is formed
5. Protons move back down their concentration gradient via ATP synthase which combines ADP and Pi
6. PSI absorbs light energy which excites these electrons to a higher energy level so they are transferred to NADP with a proton from the stroma

Products: Oxygen from photolysis of water, ATP from ATP Synthase, Reduced NADP from PSI

Chemiosmosis explains the movement of protons. This results in a proton motive force which drives ATP synthase to synthesise ATP
Thank you! This is so helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (33)
15.87%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.35%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.9%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.92%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (40)
19.23%

Watched Threads