The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE A*s Guide

Hello guys,

Results for CIE IGCSE is out, and I got 8A*s and 1A (one percent away form A*).

Note: ALWAYS REFER TO THE SYLLABUS. BE CURIOUS, ASK ASK ASK :smile:

Here's what I think about the subjects:

English First Language: Since I did literature, I did not do much practice on the language past papers, roughly once a month. In the short term, I don't think the syllabus will go through major changes, so my advice would be to focus on question 2 (literary analysis) if you don't do literature.

English Literature: The syllabus changes every 2-3 years, a good idea is to make essay plans for possible essay titles. Always refer closely to the language when responding to the essay questions. Also, don't screw up the coursework if you're doing that component for both first language and literature.

International Mathematics: A straight-forward, arguably fundamental course for students of all ability. Like any other math/ science subject, practice is needed to get the A*. Put more attention on paper 6, since it's more unpredictable and requires implying your math knowledge in such questions.

Chemistry: Possibly quite confusing at first, but once you're on track, you're destined to get that A*. For science subjects like chemistry, always ask when you have trouble understanding. You are not meant to remember things by heart apart from certain formulas and reactions, the course aims to make you understand the bigger picture. Knowledge is not made to be memorized, but to be understood.

Biology: Similar to chemistry, the syllabus intertwines with daily life. Always aim to make connections to things you see in life, and ask if you don't understand. The best way to learn is to experience.

Geography: Some say it is difficult get A* in geography but easy to achieve the A grade. I would say so too, but A* is not that unachievable :wink:. Again, combine your knowledge with daily life, let's say the news.

Additional Maths: Practice over and over again, this is definitely a course for high achievers in math. Although it may seem difficult in the beginning of the course since it's a big leap from International Maths, most importantly is to do plenty of practice and past papers.

Economics: Arguably, this is the easiest subject to achieve the A grade, since you only need 70% to get an A (please refer to CIE grade boundaries). The key is to listen in class and that's it, always use keywords in your responses. Most of the syllabus is common sense, and one important thing is to define the terms in the question. For example, 'Discuss whether protectionism can save jobs', in this case you have to define protectionism since there are marks for doing so in the mark scheme.

Music: Personally, I'm a 'music person'. If you learn an instrument of some sort and have achieved Grade 5 in ABRSM exam, you're all set to become an A* student. All you have to do is compose, know a bit of theory, perform an easy piece that you're confident with.

Past papers are essential to understand the mark scheme of that exam board (in this case, CIE's way of defining stuff)

Useful past paper website resources:

https://papacambridge.com
xtremepapers

IGCSE is fairly easy compared to A-Levels and IB.

Good luck all, feel free to ask in the comments.

Edit: Apologies for you all who study subjects which are not included here, I'll gather advice from friends who study those subjects and post it here.
Really helpful, do appreciate the tips. Good for you.

Quick Reply

Latest