Which of these activities is most likely to cause harm to the joints ie knee joint

Watch this thread
Lastminute.
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Long distance running or sprint training ie repetitions up to 400m (with hurdles mixed in now and then)? With long distance running there is less impact but it is continuous stress on joints and sprinting is very high impact but there is a oot less time where the joints are put under stress.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lastminute.)
Long distance running or sprint training ie repetitions up to 400m (with hurdles mixed in now and then)? With long distance running there is less impact but it is continuous stress on joints and sprinting is very high impact but there is a oot less time where the joints are put under stress.
Both of these activities stress the knee joints, and other joints too. Was there a specific reason you were concerned about the impact of these activities on your joints?
Lastminute.
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
Both of these activities stress the knee joints, and other joints too. Was there a specific reason you were concerned about the impact of these activities on your joints?
Ive had a tender knee for the past 15 years due to a minor injury (my own fault for kneeling on a sharp radiator) it has never bothered me enough to stop but has nigggled mildly in the background. Different experts say the problem is due to different conditions gp said chondomalaciapatella but the physio said she could tell there had been long term inflammation probably due to my past injury and it wasnt chondromalacia patella. An x ray taken a few years ago was normal however these only show the joint space, not cartilage abnormalities. Im aware that past joint injury can progress to osteoarthiritis particularly if the joint is exposed to high impact activieties too (increased wear and tear). Ive always enjoyed running and sprinting though all my life ( teens and twenties) (including hurdling - very high inpact) but was worried about my knee joints long term health really lol from all this high impact exercise.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Ive had a tender knee for the past 15 years due to a minor injury (my own fault for kneeling on a sharp radiator) it has never bothered me enough to stop but has nigggled mildly in the background. Different experts say the problem is due to different conditions gp said chondomalaciapatella but the physio said she could tell there had been long term inflammation probably due to my past injury and it wasnt chondromalacia patella. An x ray taken a few years ago was normal however these only show the joint space, not cartilage abnormalities. Im aware that past joint injury can progress to osteoarthiritis particularly if the joint is exposed to high impact activieties too (increased wear and tear). Ive always enjoyed running and sprinting though all my life ( teens and twenties) (including hurdling - very high inpact) but was worried about my knee joints long term health really lol from all this high impact exercise.
That all sounds entirely sensible. Is the knee still painful, particularly with activity? I would suggest that you had it re-imaged, only this time with an MRI, which will show soft-tissue.
Lastminute.
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
That all sounds entirely sensible. Is the knee still painful, particularly with activity? I would suggest that you had it re-imaged, only this time with an MRI, which will show soft-tissue.
It is tender and a bit achy under the patella usually after training or at random times during the day. Thanks, I will ask my gp but ive heard they can be reluctant to refer to MRI scans (due to cost) unless its severely impacting on daily activities but then im trying to prevent it getting to that stage. I might have to exaggerate the symptoms a bit.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It is tender and a bit achy under the patella usually after training or at random times during the day. Thanks, I will ask my gp but ive heard they can be reluctant to refer to MRI scans (due to cost) unless its severely impacting on daily activities but then im trying to prevent it getting to that stage. I might have to exaggerate the symptoms a bit.
Well yes - they don't dish MRIs out like sweets, but I only got on top of some of my sports injuries once they'd been properly imaged. If you've had chronic pain for such a length of time, I think it's reasonable for you to insist on further investigations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (112)
40.88%
They're exactly what I expected (65)
23.72%