Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thousands march against hate speech in Boston Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    BOSTON: Tens of thousands of people took to the streets of Boston on Saturday to protest a “free speech” rally featuring far-right speakers a week after a woman was killed at a Virginia white-supremacist demonstration.

Rally organisers had invited several far-right speakers who were confined to a small pen that police set up in the historic Boston Common park to keep the two sides separate. The city avoided a repeat of last weekend’s bloody street battles in Charlottesville. Police ..

Read more at:
    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst
    The right-wing demonstrators eventually abandoned the protest, after being outnumbered 10-to-1 by the counter-protesters.

ReputationRep:
    I think "hate speech" is an unhelpful term as it often seems to be levelled by people against ideas that they just disagree with.
    We need to be specific about what any particular statement or idea contains, so as to avoid ambiguity or confusion, and also to allow those we are accusing to be able to defend themselves properly.

If it is racist, call it racist. If it is homophobic, call it that. Likewise with anything else that is abusive, discriminatory or violent towards another group, call it out for what it is.

We need to remember that "freedom of speech" applies just as much to those we disagree with as it does to our own ideas (as long as it remains within the law). Despite the obvious *****ery spouted by the far right, I still feel a little uncomfortable about the idea of them being shouted down by a mob. There is a certain unwanted irony in that.

ReputationRep:
    Good on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    The right-wing demonstrators eventually abandoned the protest, after being outnumbered 10-to-1 by the counter-protesters.
    To find out who rules you, ask yourself whom you are not allowed to criticize - Voltaire
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staircase321)
    To find out who rules you, ask yourself whom you are not allowed to criticize - Voltaire
    You are allowed to criticise anyone, but expecting to do so without question is a very different matter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staircase321)
    It's actually a made up quote - Voltaire never said any such thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Good on them.
    You think it was good that they shut down this 'hate speech'?

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1jMJgPAPqQjxL?t=0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    You think it was good that they shut down this 'hate speech'?
    You don't?

ReputationRep:
    You don't?
    Did you watch the video?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    I think "hate speech" is an unhelpful term as it often seems to be levelled by people against ideas that they just disagree with.
    We need to be specific about what any particular statement or idea contains, so as to avoid ambiguity or confusion, and also to allow those we are accusing to be able to defend themselves properly.

If it is racist, call it racist. If it is homophobic, call it that. Likewise with anything else that is abusive, discriminatory or violent towards another group, call it out for what it is.

We need to remember that "freedom of speech" applies just as much to those we disagree with as it does to our own ideas (as long as it remains within the law). Despite the obvious *****ery spouted by the far right, I still feel a little uncomfortable about the idea of them being shouted down by a mob. There is a certain unwanted irony in that.
    Completely agree. Utterly hypocritical to stifle "fascism" like that.

The First Amendment ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    It's actually a made up quote - Voltaire never said any such thing.
    Indeed, like his famous "I disagree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it" wasn't one of his. It was by his biographer. My favourite Voltaire quote is "Do not believe every utterance attributed to myself".

ReputationRep:
    Did you watch the video?
    I did not click on your link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Completely agree. Utterly hypocritical to stifle "fascism" like that.

The First Amendment ffs.
    Nothing hypocritical about meeting intolerance with intolerance. With the same logic that those right wingers target Islam, they can be targeted.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing hypocritical about meeting intolerance with intolerance. With the same logic that those right wingers target Islam, they can be targeted.
    Meeting fascism with fascism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Meeting fascism with fascism.
    Necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)

Yes, precision in language is very important. "Right wing" encompasses a wide area and is not a synonym for white supremacy. Some on the left are behaving in an atrocious manner and they are justifying their actions by labelling anyone who slightly disagrees with them as a Nazi. The term "hate speech" means absolutely nothing now.

ReputationRep:
    I did not click on your link.
    Why would you when you can live in a land of delusion and beat up random people because it makes you feel good

ReputationRep:
    Why would you when you can live in a land of delusion and beat up random people because it makes you feel good
    i don't beat up random people

ReputationRep:
    i don't beat up random people
    You are advocating it you melon

ReputationRep:
    You are advocating it you melon
    I never advocated beating up random people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.