DJShaji
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am not sure if I want to apply to the Masters or BSc for PSychology. I know I want to do a placement year. Similarly, the MPsych from York or MSci from Birmingham worth it, if my long-term aspirations are to become a Clinical Psychologist

Do lots of people have Masters before they apply for the Ph.D.???
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DJShaji)
I am not sure if I want to apply to the Masters or BSc for PSychology. I know I want to do a placement year. Similarly, the MPsych from York or MSci from Birmingham worth it, if my long-term aspirations are to become a Clinical Psychologist

Although not required, most people who are clinical psychologists will have done a master's before completing their clinical doctorate - as you gain experience and vital research skills. You really need a master's degree to make a competitive application nowadays.

However, you need to consider what the integrated master's courses will entail. Will it be relevant toward clinical psychology or will the contents of the course be totally unrelated?

In your position I would recommend just applying for the BSc if the integrated master's is totally irrelevant to clinical psychology, and then applying for a master's degree which is more related. There are plenty of opportunities to get gain CP experience during your undergraduate degree - combine this with a relevant master's and work experience you will be able to make a competitive application for a clinical doctorate.
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DJShaji)

I think the main advantage used to be that with the integrated masters the student loan funding will cover the masters and will tuition fees will be set to a lower undergrad level. However now as undergrad fees have gone up and you can get a student loan for masters study (https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan) it is less important to apply for a masters degree in psychology.
Also, you'll want to do a masters degree that is relevant to clinical psychology, a general psychology research masters degree may not be the best thing to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?