Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Just got my AS results this week. Ive heard from a lot of people that it is not worth applying for medicine if i dont get 750+ average on my UKCAT and A*A*A atleast, this has really demotivated me but i am still not giving up.
    Here is what i scored academically:
    GCSE: 4A* 3A 4B
    AS: AAB (Predicted grades to be sent to unis: A*AA in the order of Maths, Biology and Chemistry)
    UKCAT: will be sat in September (for now assume i score a 700 average)
    Got 3 work placements, as a primary school teaching assistant, worked at UCL institute of Neurology and in a GP surgery centre (got to shadow a GP and two nurses).
    I also did a voluntary walk for charity and also go to clubs for sports.
    Do you think i am likely to get into medicine??? One uni im keen to study at is QMUL

ReputationRep:
    A B at AS chemistry isn't going to look great for a medicine application...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    Just got my AS results this week. Ive heard from a lot of people that it is not worth applying for medicine if i dont get 750+ average on my UKCAT and A*A*A atleast, this has really demotivated me but i am still not giving up.
    AS: AAB (Predicted grades to be sent to unis: A*AA in the order of Maths, Biology and Chemistry)
    Got 3 work placements, as a primary school teaching assistant, worked at UCL institute of Neurology and in a GP surgery centre (got to shadow a GP and two nurses).
    Do you think i am likely to get into medicine??? One uni im keen to study at is QMUL
    If you've actually heard that from people, they clearly have no clue what they are talking about.

Different universities will score the UKCAT in different ways, so what you need will depend on where you apply.
    https://www.medschools.ac.uk/sitecol...al-schools.pdf

Your work experience placements etc are good, write about them in your personal statement making sure you discuss what you have gained from them and what skills you have developed that will help you become a good doctor.

Your predicted grades are great. The B in AS Chemistry shouldn't matter as most universities no longer score your AS grades due to the move to liner A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what uni you want to apply to, if you have the required grades then you can probs get in with some more voluntary work and some other medical work experience. They usually want As for chemistry though anything is possible really. If I were you, considering the work you've done already, I'd go for it still.
    Just depends how much you want it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    A B at AS chemistry isn't going to look great for a medicine application...
    im going to continue doing it into A2. The grade the university will receive is my predicted grade, not what i achieved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    If you've actually heard that from people, they clearly have no clue what they are talking about.

Different universities will score the UKCAT in different ways, so what you need will depend on where you apply.
    https://www.medschools.ac.uk/sitecol...al-schools.pdf

Your work experience placements etc are good, write about them in your personal statement making sure you discuss what you have gained from them and what skills you have developed that will help you become a good doctor.

Your predicted grades are great. The B in AS Chemistry shouldn't matter as most universities no longer score your AS grades due to the move to liner A-levels.
    thank you so much for your comment, you genuinely made me feel happy. Yes the unis wont see my grade B in Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    Depends on what uni you want to apply to, if you have the required grades then you can probs get in with some more voluntary work and some other medical work experience. They usually want As for chemistry though anything is possible really. If I were you, considering the work you've done already, I'd go for it still.
    Just depends how much you want it
    i want it a lot, would really hate to take a gap year. The unis wont see the grade B in Chemistry, they will see A*AA (A in Chemistry)

ReputationRep:
    im going to continue doing it into A2. The grade the university will receive is my predicted grade, not what i achieved
    'Do I need to add my AS levels on the UCAS application? If you’ve taken an AS level then yes – the unis want to see the grade you received for it.' https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/e...as-application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    'Do I need to add my AS levels on the UCAS application? If you’ve taken an AS level then yes – the unis want to see the grade you received for it.' https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/e...as-application
    I have not taken an AS level. Since i am not dropping any of my subjects, they will all be A-Level subjects. If i had stopped doing chemistry after AS then i would have to put in the grade B, but since im not i dont need to do that. Chemistry is linear so if i continue into A2 my AS grade means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much for your comment, you genuinely made me feel happy. Yes the unis wont see my grade B in Chemistry.
    They'll see it if they look as you have to include it on your UCAS application, but they won't bother looking if they don't use AS levels in their scoring systems. Most universities have on their website or the medical school council's website the way that they score applicants pre-interview.

I'd focus on pulling up your chemistry grade, writing a great personal statement, and doing well in your UKCAT now.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got BBBB at AS and now has a place at QMUL to read medicine after getting A*AA. It can be done if your UKCAT score and work experience are good. Ignore anybody who tells you otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    They'll see it if they look as you have to include it on your UCAS application, but they won't bother looking if they don't use AS levels in their scoring systems. Most universities have on their website or the medical school council's website the way that they score applicants pre-interview.

I'd focus on pulling up your chemistry grade, writing a great personal statement, and doing well in your UKCAT now.
    im sure med schools only ask for your A-Level grades, not AS. And yes i will be focusing on my UKCAT. Its in a month from now, when do you recommend i start revision???

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but who on earth told you not to apply to medicine if you don't get 750+? Lmao. That's well into the highest decile on nearly every single year. Sure your application may not be competitive at QMUL but it is very competitive at other places. Medical schools only require AAA, stop listening to the bull some people feed you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immunology)
    I'm sorry but who on earth told you not to apply to medicine if you don't get 750+? Lmao. That's well into the highest decile on nearly every single year. Sure your application may not be competitive at QMUL but it is very competitive at other places. Medical schools only require AAA, stop listening to the bull some people feed you.
    sorry i just thought of applying for medicine last week so i have no idea how tough the competition is. So you dont think im very likely to get into QMUL with 700+ on my ukcat and A*AA grades?

ReputationRep:
    sorry i just thought of applying for medicine last week so i have no idea how tough the competition is. So you dont think im very likely to get into QMUL with 700+ on my ukcat and A*AA grades?
    Don't apologise to me, I'm more angry at the people giving you dumb information like you need a 750 at least to apply. I'm not very familiar with QMUL's application process, I just hear they like really high UKCAT scores but you can definitely make some competitive applications at various medical schools.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, the advice i gave you on the other thread about needing around 750 and A*A*A predictions was specific only to Barts due to the nature of their admissions process (they use the UCAS Tariff and UKCAT in a 50:50 ratio) and does not apply to all universities, every med school has a different pre-interview selection process.

Also it's not wise to assume you will achieve 700 on the UKCAT, that is around the 9th decile which is a very tough score to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Hey, the advice i gave you on the other thread about needing around 750 and A*AA was specific only to Barts due to the nature of their admissions process and does not apply to all universities, every med school has a different pre-interview selection process.

Also it;s not wise to assume you will achieve 700 on the UKCAT, that is around the 9th decile which is a very tough score to get.
    Isnt 700 the average score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Hey, the advice i gave you on the other thread about needing around 750 and A*AA was specific only to Barts due to the nature of their admissions process and does not apply to all universities.

Also it;s not wise to assume you will achieve 700 on the UKCAT, that is around the 9th decile which is a very tough score to get.
    I just realised you assume you're going to get a 700. No one gets what they assume in the UKCAT - it's one of the worst tests you will ever sit. I suggest you don't think about this stuff until you actually get a confirmed score. That is my fault, I thought you had a confirmed 700. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Isnt 700 the average score?
    Absolutely not, from what i remember last year the average was around 630.

EDIT: It was 631.
    https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1059/u...-2012-2016.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immunology)
    I just realised you assume you're going to get a 700. No one gets what they assume in the UKCAT - it's one of the worst tests you will ever sit. I suggest you don't think about this stuff until you actually get a confirmed score. That is my fault, I thought you had a confirmed 700. Sorry.
    only problem is my ukcat exam is in late september. I need to make my mind up ASAP as i need to also write my personal statement. i dont wanna have to change courses the week before the deadline thats why im just going with the assumption of 700.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.