The Student Room Group

Good books for A-Level Biology & Chemistry - OCR A Specification (NEW)

I'm going to be starting A2 Biology and Chemistry this September. I only used my CGP revision guides last year and got D's in my AS exams. i want to get at least a B or above in my final exams, but I'm not sure what other books I should use.

Can anyone who is/has studied Biology & Chemistry under OCR's new spec, please recommend some books that helped them to get good grades? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pasta92
I'm going to be starting A2 Biology and Chemistry this September. I only used my CGP revision guides last year and got D's in my AS exams. i want to get at least a B or above in my final exams, but I'm not sure what other books I should use.

Can anyone who is/has studied Biology & Chemistry under OCR's new spec, please recommend some books that helped them to get good grades? :smile:

If you got a D grade despite using the CGP Revision Guide, then it isn't the textbook's fault. It's probably your exam technique.

You should try and get a photocopy of your script so you and your teachers can look through it and see where you made mistakes. Chances are it's not using specific keywords in answers resulting in no credit being given despite the science being correct.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Watch YouTube revision videos
Reply 3
Original post by pasta92

I did so both for OCR.

The endorsed textbooks are the ones you should get, specifically those by Oxford University Press
Original post by Blue_Cow
If you got a D grade despite using the CGP Revision Guide, then it isn't the textbook's fault. It's probably your exam technique.

You should try and get a photocopy of your script so you and your teachers can look through it and see where you made mistakes. Chances are it's not using specific keywords in answers resulting in no credit being given despite the science being correct.

When used alone, the A Level CGP revision guides will only help to pass so it's not the exam technique. Just a lack of depth/detail in the answers I assume. I'd recommend the OCR endorsed books or even the full CGP textbooks. The revision guides are made for just that: revision when there's an understanding already.
Original post by Lapis.Lazuli
When used alone, the A Level CGP revision guides will only help to pass so it's not the exam technique. Just a lack of depth/detail in the answers I assume. I'd recommend the OCR endorsed books or even the full CGP textbooks. The revision guides are made for just that: revision when there's an understanding already.

Schools should provide the officially endorsed textbook anyway.

I hardly used the official textbook and relied on CGP and past papers - I got an A at AS.

Doing the past papers improved my exam technique tenfold. And therefore my grades.

I struggle to believe that a D grade was down to not using a particular book.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6

I hardly used the official textbook and relied on CGP and past papers - I got an A at AS.

Doing the past papers improved my exam technique tenfold. And therefore my grades.

My sixth form didn't even provide exercise books, never mind £40 textbooks. 😂

I also agree with the above information, especially for a subject like biology where you need to include key words.
Original post by SGHD26716
My sixth form didn't even provide exercise books, never mind £40 textbooks. 😂

I also agree with the above information, especially for a subject like biology where you need to include key words.

What?! They didn't provide books??
Doing past papers and using mark schemes effectively should provide all of the keywords you need. Probably more efficient than a textbook too.
Reply 8
What?! They didn't provide books??
Doing past papers and using mark schemes effectively should provide all of the keywords you need. Probably more efficient than a textbook too.

Nope. 😂

Very stingy. They gave you the option to buy them from the department (crap quality) or bring in your own.

I struggle to believe that a D grade was down to not using a particular book.

I agree on the past papers, those really are essential in getting a good grade. However, "hardly used" is different to not used at all. Can't underestimate the endorsed materials.
Nope. 😂

Very stingy. They gave you the option to buy them from the department (crap quality) or bring in your own.

Our school bought them, gave them out (on loan for the year) and takes them back in when the course is finished, and then distributes them out to the next cohort.

Your school does sound a bit stingy. Education cuts have hit hard in certain areas then😂
Nope. 😂

The school should use its funding to purchase the subscription to access the online version. You could suggest it for A2.
I agree on the past papers, those really are essential in getting a good grade. However, "hardly used" is different to not used at all. Can't underestimate the endorsed materials.

Definitely depends on the subject when it comes to endorsed. The AQA Biology one was decent, but the AQA endorsed CS textbook was a lump of ****

When I say hardly used, I mean probably for the first week of September.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Our school bought them, gave them out (on loan for the year) and takes them back in when the course is finished, and then distributes them out to the next cohort.

Your school does sound a bit stingy. Education cuts have hit hard in certain areas then😂

Indeed. They were selling them for 2 for 50p so it's not like the books were that expensive either.
The school should use its funding to purchase the subscription to access the online version. You could suggest it for A2.

Their theory was that you've chosen to be here for sixth form so you'll have to pay for most things.
Reply 14
Definitely depends on the subject when it comes to endorsed. The AQA Biology one was decent, but the AQA endorsed CS textbook was a lump of ****

When I say hardly used, I mean probably for the first week of September.

Lol. I've heard stories about the AQA CS book 😂😂😂
Lol. I've heard stories about the AQA CS book 😂😂😂

Revising from that thing was impossible. The only available revision guide was the exact same *****y textbook, but with some diagrams and explanations removed. Meaning it had the same contradictions and mistakes.

The only way to get through those exams was by using common sense lmao.

This year's bonfire should be fueled exclusively by that ****
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Revising from that thing was impossible. The only available revision guide was the exact same *****y textbook, but with some diagrams and explanations removed. Meaning it had the same contradictions and mistakes.

The only way to get through those exams was by using common sense lmao.

This year's bonfire should be fueled exclusively by that ****

Was there no other textbook to revise from?

OCR biology and chemistry had 3!

I've heard most CS teachers tend to be **** as well so I guess that wouldn't have helped.
Was there no other textbook to revise from?

OCR biology and chemistry had 3!

I've heard most CS teachers tend to be **** as well so I guess that wouldn't have helped.

Nope. The only alternative textbook was not provided as it was not AQA Approved, and it was released mid-way through the A2 course.

CS just isn't a popular A-Level.
Reply 18
Nope. The only alternative textbook was not provided as it was not AQA Approved, and it was released mid-way through the A2 course.

CS just isn't a popular A-Level.

Well I hope you passed in that case.

Similar story with my Edexcel GCSE history as they changed the spec slightly for my year and the textbook didn't come out until January of Y11 but of course GCSE has less implications than A level
Well I hope you passed in that case.

Similar story with my Edexcel GCSE history as they changed the spec slightly for my year and the textbook didn't come out until January of Y11 but of course GCSE has less implications than A level

I got an A thankfully!

Which year did you do Edexcel GCSE History? I did it in 2015 and all I did was memorise the dates in the textbook.

Quick Reply

Latest