The Student Room Group

How to stop freaking out about uni?

I'm starting at the university of surrey (Mech Engineering) in september and i really dont know what to expect. I've always been quiet /introverted and i'm freaking out about it (moving away, living with people i dont know, etc)
How do you cope with this?
Also I havent really had alcohol before and i'm not a clubbing/party kind of person and from what i've seen/heard thats pretty much all people want to do for the first week or so.
Original post by RonnieHotDog
I'm starting at the university of surrey (Mech Engineering) in september and i really dont know what to expect. I've always been quiet /introverted and i'm freaking out about it (moving away, living with people i dont know, etc)
Also I havent really had alcohol before and i'm not a clubbing/party kind of person and from what i've seen/heard thats pretty much all people want to do for the first week or so.

Once you're actually there you'll be more excited than nervous. Are there any group chats on Facebook/WhatsApp you could join that are specifically for the people in your hall of residence? That's a good way of getting to know people and you'll feel better when you get to Surrey because you'll be familiar with your flatmates.
Also why don't you try having a drink with some friends one evening just to get used to having alcohol, and nobody will think any less of you if you don't go out and party every night, I don't particularly like parties or drinking either so I kinda feel the same way about the last bit as you

Hey @RonnieHotDog,

I completely get what you mean about being nervous about coming to uni and moving away from your hometown. I started uni 2012 and moved over from Ireland. I'm not going to lie, it was terrifying at the start! But you'll quickly get to make new friends, and living with new people can be really exciting - you might get to experience new cultures and hang out with people who you might not usually get the chance to meet if you were still living at home. The main thing to remember is that most people coming to Surrey won't know anyone else here, so everyone will be in the same boat.

Don't worry if you're not that into partying. Yes, during Freshers' Week the majority of new students will want to go on nights out, but there are plenty of day events on during the induction week which won't involve alcohol. Don't allow yourself to be pressured into anything you don't feel comfortable with, like drinking. If you do fancy trying a drink or two, I'd advise that you take it really slow and alternate your drinks with water so that your system isn't shocked by the alcohol intake. I didn't drink much before coming to uni and made the mistake of drinking too much too quickly at times! However, you'll quickly learn your limits and know when enough is enough.

Going to uni isn't all about partying though. The Students' Union run day trips and even weekends away to places like Oxford, Winchester, Bath, Thorpe Park and even further afield, like Disneyland Paris and Amsterdam. This is a great way to meet new people and see new places at the same time. There are plenty of sports and societies to get involved in which don't involve drinking too!
There are socieities which revolve around learning what different cultures have to offer, such as the Afro-Carribbean society and the Polish society, and also special interest societies, like the Harry Potter Society, Game of Thrones Society, Politics Society etc along with department societies which focus on the subject you're studying. There are also loads of sports clubs to choose from too, from the usual sports like football to unusual ones like kite surfing and trampolining! Swing by the Freshers' Fair during Freshers' Week to find out more about all the different sports and societies that Surrey has to offer :smile:

Hope this helps put your mind at ease a bit!

If you have any questions about the uni in general or about my personal experience studying at Surrey then please feel to post them here or send a DM :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
(edited 6 years ago)

Hey congrats on your place!

Please don't freak out, everybody else is in the same boat and it is normal to feel nervous. Yes, on Fresher's week the nights-out do usually involve alcohol but not all students go these events. You will meet a range of people during your time at University that are all different, so I am sure you will be able to find friends with common interests. As the above poster has mentioned, Universities have a range of societies that offer non-alcoholic socials, day trips and the opportunity to socialize with people you may not have necessarily come across.

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending