Macros diet - load of rubbish? Watch

Summer15
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, I'm sure some buff gym bro will put me right and I would be v.happy (genuinely) to learn the positives of this lifestyle - but after doing some reading online re: the if it fits your macros "diet" I really don't get it?

I read a few sites and then did a search on blogs and instagram to see what people are eating - it' s mostly absolute mess being eaten on this diet rather than nutritional foods. Literally, they're eating fast food, donuts, cakes, chocolate, ice-cream etc in high quantities. Search the iifym hashtag on insta and see what I mean.

From my first impression:

1. Not nutritional
2. Teeth are going to rot
3. Arteries are going to be blocked
4. Most seem to be bulky dudes heavily into lifting I.e. not going to work as a diet for most folk.

Opinions? I'm open to being wrong - I just can't get an explanation on the above.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You seem to totally understand the whole point of it tbh. It's not a case of "eat whatever the **** you want, as long as it fits your macros then it's all good!" - much more a case of "eat sensibly and healthily generally, but if you wanna fit some junk in here and there and it fits your macros, then go for it as a treat - most things in moderation are fine and it won't negatively affect your body composition in any way". Those posts you're seeing with doughnuts, pizza or whatever with a #IIFYM tag, are very likely individual meals maybe a few times a week at most, as opposed to every meal being full of junk food.
TehFen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Summer15)
Hi all, I'm sure some buff gym bro will put me right and I would be v.happy (genuinely) to learn the positives of this lifestyle - but after doing some reading online re: the if it fits your macros "diet" I really don't get it?

I read a few sites and then did a search on blogs and instagram to see what people are eating - it' s mostly absolute mess being eaten on this diet rather than nutritional foods. Literally, they're eating fast food, donuts, cakes, chocolate, ice-cream etc in high quantities. Search the iifym hashtag on insta and see what I mean.

From my first impression:

1. Not nutritional
2. Teeth are going to rot
3. Arteries are going to be blocked
4. Most seem to be bulky dudes heavily into lifting I.e. not going to work as a diet for most folk.

Opinions? I'm open to being wrong - I just can't get an explanation on the above.
I think it depends on the type of if it fits your macros.

Your description of it-

If it fits your macros can work and you can be in great shape from following the diet. However, is it the healthiest way of eating? No. As you said it's not nutritional. It's going to be harder to meet your micro nutrient needs.

I think this diet just appeals to people who want to be in shape, but would rather not eat healthily.

Since foods like doughnuts and ice cream are calorie dense it's also going to make it harder not to spill over and eat too much.

I think it's better to just follow a healthy, nutritional diet, whilst throwing in small amounts of food like chocolate and biscuits if you want them.
Proudboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're starting out and are anything like myself... don't overthink. Just stop thinking about macros, numbers and anything else in general for the time being. If you're skinny just eat loads of calorie dense foods every hour or so. Get lots of protein, forget powders and supps you want real meat. Lift heavy- compound movements only, start out with 5x5 and build your strength. Trust me.

The reason I say all of this is because I've been on and off at the gym for years now and I can never, ever keep up with macros and nutrient intake. I'm not an organised person and I simply don't have time for it. Especially when you're starting out, it's confusing and demotivating.

Oh and stick to the basic ****: Oats, Peanut Butter, Full Fat Milk etc.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ExecuteOrder66
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It all depends what goals you have on mind. If you want to look ripped obviously eating healthy is a must. If you just want to get strong af and you are not too fussed about your bodyfat percentage being above 20%,, then yeah, eating a **** ton of food whatever macros (as long as you hit good amount of protein) really doesn't matter.

I don't want to end up like a fat **** but I do want to get strong and bulky. I'm doing Starting Strength and am gaining about 1-2lbs a week. Any less and it doesn't work for me. I'll probably end up a little big but my plan is to cut once I get to good lifting numbers and try to maintain what I have built. It's a repercussion to strength training unfortunately, but I'm hoping it will all pay off by Summer next year!! Unfortunately it is extremely hard to gain strength while cutting, unless steroids come into the equation!

Also eating healthy and gaining strength is hard based on the volume of food you have to take in. Obviously a healthy diet is likely to be a greater of volume of food intake in the day due to the fact it is less calorie dense.
Summer15
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
Yeah that does seem to be what it's about. I think my perception of it has been skewed by looking at individual instagram accounts where every single post is a burger/waffles/take-away, but I suppose they only post those things when they have a treat - it just makes it look as though they eat it 24/7 because that's the only stuff they choose to post about.

(Original post by TehFen)

I think it's better to just follow a healthy, nutritional diet, whilst throwing in small amounts of food like chocolate and biscuits if you want them.
Completely agree. It seems the most sensible and sustainable way of doing it.

(Original post by Proudboy)
Thanks, that sounds very wise to be honest. I've been getting sidetracked lately - looking into all sorts of different diets etc but really when I think about it, in my everyday life, I need to be able to keep things as simple as possible - especially at uni and when I'm busy and can't sit there calculating things or when I'm travelling about on placements and need to eat on the go. I think it's learning what's good and what's not so good - and understanding portions and meal planning. So far it's working, so like you say, it's probably better if I leave all the counting stuff and gimmick diets alone and just be patient with the good old fashioned common sense approach.

(Original post by ExecuteOrder66)
Makes sense, thanks I hadn't heard of starting strength - I'll take a look into that.
Angry cucumber
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The ideal lives in between the chicken and broccoli guys and IIFYM guys

The sweet spot is eating like an adult. Eat well, eat healthily with the odd treat
fairplaytoyou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I use IIFYM and it works great for me but I literally only have like one piece of junk food every two days. I aim to eat healthily enough within my macros and it's really worked for me - my aim personally is weight loss
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (39)
9.7%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (76)
18.91%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.68%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (123)
30.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise