Lizzy_mutua
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey , what career choices do I have if I do Bio Chem and Math in A levels ?
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just tagging in some people who might have some advice for you
Capita Careers UK
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lizzy_mutua)
Hi

Thanks for the question.

I think my first reaction would be...Loads! Do you know what you are looking to do after A levels?

A levels themselves can qualify you for some careers however they will usually be entry level roles and therefore will give you a good grounding in the role and hopefully the right level of experience to move upwards within the career path.

If you are looking to go to university then it is good to look at the courses that are of interest to you at university and see if they have some prerequisite A levels needed this way you can ensure that you meet their minimum requirement.

If you have some more information on what your plans are after A levels then I would be happy to be more specific in my answer.

Thank you

Jo
Lizzy_mutua
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fox Corner)
Just tagging in some people who might have some advice for you
Thank you
University of Surrey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Hey Lizzy_mutua,

As Jo said, taking those A Levels would leave you with lots of options.

Many university undergrad degrees don't require specific subjects at A Level, but for those that do (mainly science-based degrees), doing 2 sciences and maths will leave most courses open to you!

The career you go into normally depends more on the degree you do rather than the A Levels you do. In saying that, many people do degrees in a specific subject and don't actually go into that particular field of work, because the skills you learn during your degree are often transferrable and can be used in many careers. For example, I did a degree in Theatre Studies, but now work in digital marketing.

So basically, if you're thinking of a career in science, then these subject would be great to have as you'll often need some science subjects and/or maths to get into a science-based degree.

Some courses that you could do with these subjects would be Veterinary Medicine (both chemistry and biology are needed), Biochemistry, Biomedical science, Nutrition & Dietetics, (biology or chem as well as a second science or maths), Chemical Engineering (chemistry and maths), and Sports & Exercise Science (One core science from: Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Mathematics, and one preferred subject from: core science, Sport Studies, Physical Education, Psychology, or Statistics). Please keep in mind that these requirements are for the above courses at Surrey, so they might differ from uni to uni

Those are just a few options out of hundreds of courses you could study with your choice of A Levels, so the possibilities are endless! You could end up working as a vet, in a lab setting, as a researcher, as an analyst....there are loads of careers within the sciences!

Hope this helps If you have any more specific questions feel free to tag me in them and I'll do my best to help.

All the best,
Ashley
Apprenticeships Advice
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

There are many different career choices you can take, the world is your oyster!

You can try looking for an apprenticeship and earn whilst you learn?

By using the vacancy search site below you can search for live vacancies and filter the results by your preferences (Bio, Chem and Math), location and level etc.

https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ticeshipsearch
Hope this helps
Lizzy_mutua
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Surrey)
Hey Lizzy_mutua,

As Jo said, taking those A Levels would leave you with lots of options.

Many university undergrad degrees don't require specific subjects at A Level, but for those that do (mainly science-based degrees), doing 2 sciences and maths will leave most courses open to you!

The career you go into normally depends more on the degree you do rather than the A Levels you do. In saying that, many people do degrees in a specific subject and don't actually go into that particular field of work, because the skills you learn during your degree are often transferrable and can be used in many careers. For example, I did a degree in Theatre Studies, but now work in digital marketing.

So basically, if you're thinking of a career in science, then these subject would be great to have as you'll often need some science subjects and/or maths to get into a science-based degree.

Some courses that you could do with these subjects would be Veterinary Medicine (both chemistry and biology are needed), Biochemistry, Biomedical science, Nutrition & Dietetics, (biology or chem as well as a second science or maths), Chemical Engineering (chemistry and maths), and Sports & Exercise Science (One core science from: Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Mathematics, and one preferred subject from: core science, Sport Studies, Physical Education, Psychology, or Statistics). Please keep in mind that these requirements are for the above courses at Surrey, so they might differ from uni to uni

Those are just a few options out of hundreds of courses you could study with your choice of A Levels, so the possibilities are endless! You could end up working as a vet, in a lab setting, as a researcher, as an analyst....there are loads of careers within the sciences!

Hope this helps If you have any more specific questions feel free to tag me in them and I'll do my best to help.

All the best,
Ashley
Thank you so much Ashley you are the best
I was thinking of doing civil engineering/ environmental engineering do you think I could do them with these subject choices
Lizzy_mutua
Rep:
?
(Original post by [email protected])
Hi

Thanks for the question.

I think my first reaction would be...Loads! Do you know what you are looking to do after A levels?

A levels themselves can qualify you for some careers however they will usually be entry level roles and therefore will give you a good grounding in the role and hopefully the right level of experience to move upwards within the career path.

If you are looking to go to university then it is good to look at the courses that are of interest to you at university and see if they have some prerequisite A levels needed this way you can ensure that you meet their minimum requirement.

If you have some more information on what your plans are after A levels then I would be happy to be more specific in my answer.

Thank you

Jo
Hello Jo , I was thinking of doing civil/ environmental engineering with these subject choices is it alright ?
University of Surrey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much Ashley you are the best
I was thinking of doing civil engineering/ environmental engineering do you think I could do them with these subject choices
No problem Lizzy_mutua, always happy to help

Yep you could definitely do Civ Eng with those subjects at some unis. Surrey requires Maths with one of Biology, Chemistry, Design & Technology, Further Mathematics, ICT, or Physics for the Bachelors degree. For the integrated Masters degree (which you complete by doing an extra year after your first 3 years) we require Maths and a science.

To become a chartered engineer, a Masters degree is required, so if you choose to do an integrated Masters you will be more attractive to employers as they won't have to pay to put you through a Masters degree. If you do a Bachelors in Civil Engineering, you will be an incorporated engineer, so would have to do a Masters degree after your initial degree in order to qualify as a chartered engineer.

Some universities may require Physics, such as Warwick, who require Maths and Physics for their Civil Engineering degree. But other unis only require Maths, like the Uni of Bath (though they do show a preference for applicants who also have Physics or challenging Arts & Humanities subjects).

So really it depends on the institution, but doing Maths and a science should put you in a good position to apply for Civil Engineering in lots of places.

Again, for Environmental Engineering it depends on which institution you're looking at. Nottingham requires Maths and either Physics or Chemistry for their integrated Masters programme, while Southampton requires Maths and an accepted science for their programme. So basically, take a look at the insitiutions you wish to study at and see what their individual entry requirements are for the programme you're hoping to study

Hope that helped and wasn't too confusing!!

All the best,
Ashley
midgetspinner
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maths, a language and something like economics/history would give you an amazing grounding for most courses / careers
Capita Careers UK
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello Jo , I was thinking of doing civil/ environmental engineering with these subject choices is it alright ?
Hi

I would agree with Surrey Uni, from the other universities that I have seen the entry requirements are very similar so it seems like a great start. I have also spoken to the property and infrastructure teams here and they agreed that these subjects would be a great grounding.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks

Jo
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Exeter will also accept that combination for Civil (and Environmental, optionally) Engineering, unless they have changed their entry criteria in the last two years - Physics is not required.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise