The Student Room Group

A2 options with my situation. Any Ideas??

Basically I just got my AS maths results this year and I failed and got a U. Now I've been kicked out my school where I go now. I took 3 subjects
- Maths, Biology and Economics.

I've only failed maths but my other two subjects which are linear I have exams next year. This put me in a difficult situation because I can now either do my A2 year privately and retake maths next year with my other exams (which can be costly but affordable(6k for all 3 subjects )) or I can retake the whole year at another school which I don`t actually want to do.

So whats the best option either retake the year, which I think is a bit of a time waste or just do the second year privately - which is a bit expensive.
Any helpful thoughts??
(edited 6 years ago)
If the Maths retake is going to cost you 6K then don't bother it's not worth it in the long run. What grades did u get in the internal exams for economics and biology and what were u hoping to get in maths??

what were your maths module marks btw
Ask around schools near you, but you should be able to resist your AS maths modules at a different exam centre i.e. learn the stuff either by yourself or with a tutor and just go to that school to sit the exam. This way you could carry on doing Biology and Economics at your current school although they would probably make you pick up another subject cos most schools want you to have 3 A Levels.

I guess the best option would be to move schools and resit everything from scratch... you'll get better grades doing so as you'll be going over the same content :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
The 6k involves tuition for all 3 of my subjects and the entry fee for the external exams.

Moreover retaking the whole year seems like a waste of time as that year could've been spent making money or doing something else like starting uni.
(edited 6 years ago)
All my exams were linear but I did badly in my internal exams in year 12 but got A* and 3As in my exams this year. It's a challenge but I think it's very much not outside the realm of possibility to achieve good grades despite this year. Having said that I understood why you'd want to avoid paying 6K. Is there anyway you could study some subjects at home. I did econ and maths too and really the majority of my econ was self taught. There's loads of free resources on the internet that can assist with exam technique. You can always have one off tutoring sessions for topics you find difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by maroumarou
All my exams were linear but I did badly in my internal exams in year 12 but got A* and 3As in my exams this year. It's a challenge but I think it's very much not outside the realm of possibility to achieve good grades despite this year. Having said that I understood why you'd want to avoid paying 6K. Is there anyway you could study some subjects at home. I did econ and maths too and really the majority of my econ was self taught. There's loads of free resources on the internet that can assist with exam technique. You can always have one off tutoring sessions for topics you find difficult.

To be perfectly honest I don't mind paying 6k for all 3 subjects as its a guaranteed pass with good grades however that 6k could be used elsewhere and retaking a year is something I don't wanna do.
Economics is mostly self taught I agree however some help may be required.
Reply 6
Original post by sinathambi
If the Maths retake is going to cost you 6K then don't bother it's not worth it in the long run. What grades did u get in the internal exams for economics and biology and what were u hoping to get in maths??
what were your maths module marks btw

My ums for all 3 modules wasent even above 100
Original post by jackson_21
To be perfectly honest I don't mind paying 6k for all 3 subjects as its a guaranteed pass with good grades however that 6k could be used elsewhere and retaking a year is something I don't wanna do.
Economics is mostly self taught I agree however some help may be required.

If that's the case then I'd just accept this spending and go with tuition.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
My ums for all 3 modules wasent even above 100

mmm do u think this was down to no revision or you're actual understanding of Maths because with Maths retaking it may be useless. What were you hoping to get in maths and what were you getting in past papers
Reply 9
Original post by sinathambi
mmm do u think this was down to no revision or you're actual understanding of Maths because with Maths retaking it may be useless. What were you hoping to get in maths and what were you getting in past papers

At home and during class I was getting alright grades such as on average B/C. I also did Solomon papers to help my understanding however during the actual paper I didn't get the grade I wanted.
At home and during class I was getting alright grades such as on average B/C. I also did Solomon papers to help my understanding however during the actual paper I didn't get the grade I wanted.

In each module did you get Us on all 3 or????
Just tagging in a user who should have some advice about this :h:

Quick Reply

Latest