The Student Room Group

AS Level - Can I be predicted an A from a C?

I am guaranteed a prediction of A* in maths and Re, and biol will predict me A. Do you think I could be predicted an A from a C? Are they allowed to do that? My teacher knows I'm capable of an A* if I tried (she said as much). Gah, its really annoying, esp since courses want at least AAA with chemistry
I wanna be predicted a A/B from a D in maths..so yeah...keeping hopes up.
Ask your teacher to put it in references.
It depends on how your sixth form/college operates. Some places predict the same grade you get at AS. However, if you can offer convincing evidence of work at a higher grade then that could push your prediction. Sounds like the teacher is aware of your ability so it shouldn't be an issue. However, you could ask for extra work to show willingness to improve. It would not only help your understanding but also prove you're capable of achieving higher.
I've just realised that my post had been cut short by a lot of information! I'll try again.

Basically in my head I dropped Chemistry before I even sat the exam. We had had no teacher for a quater of the course, I didn't like the subject and didn't try as much as I should have. It's a miracle I got a C in the exam (a few marks off a B too), seeing as I really had not tried.

But I was selected as one of fifty across the globe during summer to attend NASA Space School. It was incredible, and reactivated my enthusiasm for science.
So now I need chemistry again. Surprise! I managed to screw myself over.

I'm willing to go from 30% effort to 100% effort in Chemistry, and I know I can get an A with effort. But what's the point if I can only get a B prediction for courses that ask for A*AA ?
Thanks for this! Honest but helpful advice, with a clear plan. I plan on emailing her (my teacher) tomorrow to tell her how I plan to improve. Thanks!

Original post by Lapis.Lazuli
It depends on how your sixth form/college operates. Some places predict the same grade you get at AS. However, if you can offer convincing evidence of work at a higher grade then that could push your prediction. Sounds like the teacher is aware of your ability so it shouldn't be an issue. However, you could ask for extra work to show willingness to improve. It would not only help your understanding but also prove you're capable of achieving higher.
Original post by Parvati Patil
I've just realised that my post had been cut short by a lot of information! I'll try again.

Basically in my head I dropped Chemistry before I even sat the exam. We had had no teacher for a quater of the course, I didn't like the subject and didn't try as much as I should have. It's a miracle I got a C in the exam (a few marks off a B too), seeing as I really had not tried.

But I was selected as one of fifty across the globe during summer to attend NASA Space School. It was incredible, and reactivated my enthusiasm for science.
So now I need chemistry again. Surprise! I managed to screw myself over.

I'm willing to go from 30% effort to 100% effort in Chemistry, and I know I can get an A with effort. But what's the point if I can only get a B prediction for courses that ask for A*AA ?

If you go to appeal your predicted grade don't phrase your explanation as a lack of effort. Instead, emphasise the fact that you didn't have a teacher, which really hindered your progress.
You said you didn't enjoy chemistry at AS. You might be more motivated but that's unlikely to change at A2.
Also, how were you selected to attend NASA Space School? Whatever the process was, include your experience in your personal statement and use it to convince your teachers. You can always apply to a course which asks for one grade higher than your predicted. Universities know that predictions aren't 100% accurate so they give out more offers than they have places.

Quick Reply

Latest