Final FSMQ result terrible when compared to mock exam results

Watch
kcgkcg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey everyone.
I took FSMQ alongside my regular maths GCSE and a statistics GCSE. In the FSMQ mock exam in January I got an A and in the mocks we did in the classroom I regularly achieved high grades.
Despite these results, when I opened my results on Thursday, I had only gone and gotten a U. I was distraught as this was the first U I've ever gotten in any exam.

What should I do? Should I ask to get my marked paper back or just leave it alone and accept the awful result? I've heard it's quite expensive to get a paper back and I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that isn't going to really affect me in the long run. I also understand that examiners rarely make mistakes but I'm starting to think that this may be the case as this result is so abnormal for me.

Thanks in advance for the help.
mn9011
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kcgkcg)
Hey everyone.
I took FSMQ alongside my regular maths GCSE and a statistics GCSE. In the FSMQ mock exam in January I got an A and in the mocks we did in the classroom I regularly achieved high grades.
Despite these results, when I opened my results on Thursday, I had only gone and gotten a U. I was distraught as this was the first U I've ever gotten in any exam.

What should I do? Should I ask to get my marked paper back or just leave it alone and accept the awful result? I've heard it's quite expensive to get a paper back and I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that isn't going to really affect me in the long run. I also understand that examiners rarely make mistakes but I'm starting to think that this may be the case as this result is so abnormal for me.

Thanks in advance for the help.
All gcse results come on Thursday? How did you get your FM result then
sinathambi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Leave it! I got a D and to be fair learning he content itself is gonna be so much use to you at A Level.... well done for even sitting the exam it's hopefully boosted your normal maths gcse up!

With Maths remarks do **** all to be honest but getting your paper back would be useful (if you're willing to spend the money) as you could go through it. Also, if u get a copy of the paper and go through it with your teacher and think you deserve more marks u can then get it remarked...however you can't do this if u buy the original
kcgkcg
Rep:
?
(Original post by mn9011)
All gcse results come on Thursday? How did you get your FM result then
FSMQ isn't a GCSE or an A-Level but you receive the results for it on the same day as those getting their A-Level results.
kcgkcg
Rep:
?
(Original post by sinathambi)
Leave it! I got a D and to be fair learning he content itself is gonna be so much use to you at A Level.... well done for even sitting the exam it's hopefully boosted your normal maths gcse up!

With Maths remarks do **** all to be honest but getting your paper back would be useful (if you're willing to spend the money) as you could go through it. Also, if u get a copy of the paper and go through it with your teacher and think you deserve more marks u can then get it remarked...however you can't do this if u buy the original
I know what you mean about maths remarks; there's very little leeway there. What I think I may have done is attempt to skip a question quite near the beginning of the paper then, instead of skipping over it, attempted the next question in the previous question's answer box. I've actually done this before so it wouldn't surprise me. I certainly hope this is the case anyway because I knew the content of the exam quite well.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to get the paper back once I get the rest of my GCSE results.
sinathambi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kcgkcg)
I know what you mean about maths remarks; there's very little leeway there. What I think I may have done is attempt to skip a question quite near the beginning of the paper then, instead of skipping over it, attempted the next question in the previous question's answer box. I've actually done this before so it wouldn't surprise me. I certainly hope this is the case anyway because I knew the content of the exam quite well.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to get the paper back once I get the rest of my GCSE results.
Teachers should have acces to an online version of your scrip via ResultsPlus, i know this is the case at A Level where our teachers can tell us wether they think a remark is going to be worth is (especially with maths) so if u see your maths teacher on thursday ask them if you can see your additional maths paper.

Good luck with results day btw!!! what are u planning on taking at A Level
kcgkcg
Rep:
?
Teachers should have acces to an online version of your scrip via ResultsPlus, i know this is the case at A Level where our teachers can tell us wether they think a remark is going to be worth is (especially with maths) so if u see your maths teacher on thursday ask them if you can see your additional maths paper.

Good luck with results day btw!!! what are u planning on taking at A Level
ResultsPlus is for Edexcel, right? The FSMQ exam I took was with OCR. I think their equivalent service is called Interchange. I will ask my maths teacher about it though; she'll know. I can't wait to see her on Thursday /s.

And I'm hoping to take Maths, Computer Science and Physics. I'd love to go into software engineering.
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Teachers should have access to an online version of your scrip via ResultsPlus,
ResultsPlus is for Edexcel. This is an OCR qualification so this isn't correct. We can see the marks awarded for each question in Active Results though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise