Government and politics or Religious studies??

Watch
itslibby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm starting my A-levels in September, and I'm still really struggling to pick my options. I'm not sure what I want to do in the future, (all I know is I don't want to do anything to do with science). For my other options I'm planning on taking maths, history and psychology. However, if my sixth form will let me (which I'm going to find out on Friday), I think I'd like to start with four, and then after a couple of months I'll pick my three favourites and drop the other one without gaining anything from it.

I'm really stuck between government and politics and religious studies for my last option, any advice?
bateaux
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do Gov and Pol and I think it's a really interesting subject as right now is a really good time to study Politics - with Trump and Brexit and all - and for bonus points the course content is not difficult, it is very easy to get an A!
Ranisimo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Might be a bit of a biased opinion but I did RS (old spec) and really thoroughly enjoyed the subject and finished with 100UMS and A* overall. (A*AB across my A2s)If you get into the subject it's a blast and the revision material available for it is grand. However I must reiterate that I did the old spec, even though generally not much has changed, it is something to consider. Because of this I cannot guarantee that the new spec is just as enjoyable. I recommend having a conversation with your sixth form about the changes between old and new spec and making sure this is something you will enjoy. RS is something you do if you are really into the subject and love reading the textbook material (it's not boring, trust me), since the content is engaging and eye opening. Also since you say you are going to take 4 and drop one prior to exams (exactly what I did btw, it's smart ) then I feel like RS would be a better candidate for this strat because if it's not for you, then no biggy, and you still got to learn about some interesting things along the way

EDIT: I did RS full course for my GCSEs, carried it on into A-Levels and now studying it at Birmingham University.
itslibby
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Ranisimo)
Might be a bit of a biased opinion but I did RS (old spec) and really thoroughly enjoyed the subject and finished with 100UMS and A* overall. (A*AB across my A2s)If you get into the subject it's a blast and the revision material available for it is grand. However I must reiterate that I did the old spec, even though generally not much has changed, it is something to consider. Because of this I cannot guarantee that the new spec is just as enjoyable. I recommend having a conversation with your sixth form about the changes between old and new spec and making sure this is something you will enjoy. RS is something you do if you are really into the subject and love reading the textbook material (it's not boring, trust me), since the content is engaging and eye opening. Also since you say you are going to take 4 and drop one prior to exams (exactly what I did btw, it's smart ) then I feel like RS would be a better candidate for this strat because if it's not for you, then no biggy, and you still got to learn about some interesting things along the way

EDIT: I did RS full course for my GCSEs, carried it on into A-Levels and now studying it at Birmingham University.
Wow thank you so much for your reply, really helpful! I think I am going to try to find out how much it's changed, just so I can see the differences. Good look with your next year at uni!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads