Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was very disappointed with my a level grades and achieved ABB despite working my ass off. I want to do either international business with German or something like Economics and economic history at lse.

My gcse grades are crap 7b 3c but I have extenuating circumstances and was declared the most improved student in my school.

Nonetheless, I feel hard done by having received lower than I thought again. I am remarking both economics and politics with the hope that the may go to an A ( they probably won't)

My CV is really good with tonnes of work experience.

I am taking the next year to do A level maths in a year at college as I consider it valuable for my future and is required by many top unis.

When I apply- How will I apply for unis with higher grades e.g AAA? Do I just say that I am re-taking 2 and taking a new subject?

Also- how badly will unis look at this? I have been on an upwards trajectory and am really motivated but think I may be looked down on?

Will I just put in new predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    bump
    Did you get into uni this year? I read in an ealier thread that you want to get into IB. If that is true, semi-target unis like Manchester and some great targets like Loughborough would've already snapped you up. You've done very well and should be pleased with your grades, I understand that you might be disappointed for not getting what you wanted but in the end you still out performed your own expectations. Why waste a whole year again when you'll miss out having a brilliant time at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigMan Ting)
    Did you get into uni this year? I read in an ealier thread that you want to get into IB. If that is true, semi-target unis like Manchester and some great targets like Loughborough would've already snapped you up. You've done very well and should be pleased with your grades, I understand that you might be disappointed for not getting what you wanted but in the end you still out performed your own expectations. Why waste a whole year again when you'll miss out having a brilliant time at uni?
    Hi,
    I was very disappointed with my a level grades and achieved ABB despite working my ass off. I want to do either international business with German or something like Economics and economic history at lse.

My gcse grades are crap 7b 3c but I have extenuating circumstances and was declared the most improved student in my school.

Nonetheless, I feel hard done by having received lower than I thought again. I am remarking both economics and politics with the hope that the may go to an A ( they probably won't)

I am taking the next year to do A level maths in a year at college as I consider it valuable for my future and is required by many top unis.

When I apply- How will I apply for unis with higher grades e.g AAA? Do I just say that I am re-taking 2 and taking a new subject?

Also- how badly will unis look at this? I have been on an upwards trajectory and am really motivated but think I may be looked down on?

What the guy said why didn't you just go to a semi target...

ReputationRep:
    J
    Hi,

LSE is a prestigious school with an excellence rating of Bronze on the teaching framework, reason being..it is an elite school, where professors talk over you and through you and dont give much support. Unless your are very very confident in your ability to basically teach yourself, i wouldnt waste my time there. ABB is perfectly fine, look at my insurance choice Royal Holloway for example they offer international business, or you can go higher up and look at some AAB schools to see if they still have vacancies, especially international business with german could be undersubscribed. LSE has a great air of reputation but most people wont be happy there. Its also extremely expensive to live in London. LSE isnt just anywhere in London its smackdab in Central London, this means you will have to live in zone 3 or 4 just to be able to afford a place to live likely. That London bonus for a maintenance loan really is a joke. Consider all these things carefully. There are alot of great Bschools in the Russell group...which offer much better value for money for being a poor student. You can always do a masters at LSE later if you pull a first at a decent uni.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Tagging in University of Surrey and Leeds city college to help you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    J

LSE is a prestigious school with an excellence rating of Bronze on the teaching framework, reason being..it is an elite school, where professors talk over you and through you and dont give much support. Unless your are very very confident in your ability to basically teach yourself, i wouldnt waste my time there. ABB is perfectly fine, look at my insurance choice Royal Holloway for example they offer international business, or you can go higher up and look at some AAB schools to see if they still have vacancies, especially international business with german could be undersubscribed. LSE has a great air of reputation but most people wont be happy there. Its also extremely expensive to live in London. LSE isnt just anywhere in London its smackdab in Central London, this means you will have to live in zone 3 or 4 just to be able to afford a place to live likely. That London bonus for a maintenance loan really is a joke. Consider all these things carefully. There are alot of great Bschools in the Russell group...which offer much better value for money for being a poor student. You can always do a masters at LSE later if you pull a first at a decent uni.
    I do understand what you are saying however I am already taking another year at college and will be doing A level maths and re doing politics and economics (unless it goes up) and I have seen degree at warwick I also like which is AAB so I would just need to bring one other grade to an A?

Also the degree at LSE is AAb- economic history and economics and I understand London but its close to home which appeals.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hey Bigpaddy27,

Try not to be too disheartened - ABB is still a really good set of results which would get you into a lot of unis.

With regards to applying again to uni, I believe you'll have to list your A Level grades that you've already received, but please do check this with your adviser at school or a UCAS representative as I'm not certain!

To be honest, some unis like Oxford and Cambridge (not sure about LSE) won't look favourably on resits, and courses like medicine or vet med normally don't accept resits. However, most unis shouldn't have any issue with resits, especially as your initial grades certainly aren't bad!! But I would advise checking with the admissions team before listing a choice on UCAS to ensure that it won't be a problem - it would be a shame to waste a choice.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
    Ashley
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    UEA another one for you

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.