The Student Room Group

what GCSE / A level grades do you need to become a university professor

i assume you'd need only A and A* grades, and perhaps an 8/9 (A*) in the chosen subject i'd like to teach and then some sort of degree or something in further education at an above average university?

but yeah, specific focus on GCSEs here since i'll be receiving my results soon for the ones i didn't complete a year early
Original post by i like anime
i assume you'd need only A and A* grades, and perhaps an 8/9 (A*) in the chosen subject i'd like to teach and then some sort of degree or something in further education at an above average university?

but yeah, specific focus on GCSEs here since i'll be receiving my results soon for the ones i didn't complete a year early

Once you're that far on in academia to become a professor GCSE grades will be irellevant. Same with alevels. Your degree grade and your Phd will be the only things that will make you a stronger applicant for a professorship.

Chances are people won't even care. a Professorship is A LOT more than just grades. To be a Professor, you need to be internationally leading and recognised in your field. Having an A** in GCSE Pottery and Basket Weaving isn't going to make you a Prof.

You will complete your undergraduate degree, move onto a Ph.D., get a lectureship position, become Assistant Professor and then Full Professor.

Big simplification obviously, but that is about right.

This video might help:

[video="youtube;ThgJHeDKsxA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThgJHeDKsxA[/video]
Reply 3
The subject you want to study... 😂
Just tagging in some people who will have some advice about this :h:

Hi @i like anime,

As other users have suggested, becoming a professor mainly depends on your degrees rather than your A level results. A lot of it also has to do with the research you've undertaken, your PhD etc.

However, you can become a teaching fellow (like a university lecturer, but there are different 'levels' of lecturing) having relevant work experience in addition to your degree qualifications. Take a look at a teaching fellow at our Law school, Nick Clapham. Nick qualified as a solicitor, then served in the army's legal services until 2011, and became a teaching fellow at Surrey in 2014. He recently won a national award for his teaching! Another route is to do a specific Postgrad diploma/degree in education to allow you to progress into teaching in third level institutions :smile:

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley
I just want to know are their any specific subjects you have to take on a levels to become a Professor?
Original post by Raiyaan Rafiq
I just want to know are their any specific subjects you have to take on a levels to become a Professor?

Hi! It honestly doesn't work like that. You have to think about your subject choices as just one step on the journey. Also, you need to remember that a UK professorship is a very prestigious thing that most academics don't achieve. Although some countries use professor to mean anyone teaching in HE, in the UK it means that you are a scholar with a truly international reputation within your field. You would be more sensible to focus on getting into academia as a lecturer.

One common route into academia is through UG then Masters then PhD. So, at school you would choose subjects which will get you in to do an undergraduate degree in your chosen subject. The quality of your degree will then matter for getting in to a Masters degree (or straight to a PhD, in some disciplines). Once you have your PhD it can take years of short contract work and publication to be a serious candidate for a lectureship. Securing your lectureship is the first step to being a professor.

I would honestly say that professor (in the UK sense) is not a good aim. Instead, look at what will get you in to study the subject you want to pursue, and focus on getting a really excellent undergradute degree and moving on to postgraduate study in an institution that will focus on moving you on into academia.
Thanks that was really help full.

Quick Reply