Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Why?
    Well, it's not automatic that that would happen. But Philosophy is a small subject, and it's likely that you'll be interviewed by the same people as last year. So you'll remember them, and they'll remember you, and the reasons why they rejected you in the first place. If you've changed and improved a lot over the last year, then great. But I wouldn't risk it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, it's not automatic that that would happen. But Philosophy is a small subject, and it's likely that you'll be interviewed by the same people as last year. So you'll remember them, and they'll remember you, and the reasons why they rejected you in the first place. If you've changed and improved a lot over the last year, then great. But I wouldn't risk it again.
    I think this is the key point. The standard doesn't vary much from year to year, and the number of applicants is likely to be similar (or higher). Unless you think you've got more to offer in interview, etc. you aren't likely to get a different result from last year.

I'd try a different college, unless you know there isn't another college where you'd be happy to spend three years at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not certain, but I think I remember something in her feedback to the effect of "she would have gotten in if it wasn't for an unusually high standard of applicant this year." It was either her or someone else I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I'm not certain, but I think I remember something in her feedback to the effect of "she would have gotten in if it wasn't for an unusually high standard of applicant this year." It was either her or someone else I know.

yeah but who's to say there won't be unusually high standard of applicant this year too. She's surely better not tpo take the risk.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    yeah but who's to say there won't be unusually high standard of applicant this year too. She's surely better not tpo take the risk.

MB
    I agree. Personally I would go for somewhere considerably less competitive because Cambridge is Cambridge.

Just for interests sake, I was talking to one of the other clare maths freshers, and he's just taken a gap year, he got an offer from selwyn the year before (STEP: 1,1) and he got 2:2 and they wouldn't take him. So he reapplied to Clare (got S,1 second time around). Now with all due respect Selwyn is third from the bottom in that table, and isn't too hot in its Maths I gather. I can't imagine the competition was too hot for Selwyn, so I can only conclude that admissions is quite a lottery, and competition can be counterintuitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    That does, to be honest, sound like the usual placating, conciliatory sort of thing they spout. It may be true, but it may just be an empty sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    That does, to be honest, sound like the usual placating, conciliatory sort of thing they spout. It may be true, but it may just be an empty sentence.
    Colleges like to let students down lightly; I wouldn't say that isn't true, but I suspect quiet a few students got a similar letter - I wouldn't use it as ground to suggest the college particularly liked the candidate anymore as anyone else.

As for re-app, in general I would say if a college has rejected you once, take the hint, apply elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    It could be to my advantage because they pooled me last time so they obviously liked me.
    But you didn't get a place from the pool, so they obviously didn't recommend you _that_ well.

(Original post by Adhsur)
    It could be to my disadvantage because they might not like admitting that they made a mistake last time.
    I don't think that's what you should be concerned about, Clare is a reasonable college and unless there was a _ridiculous_ standard this year, you would have got a place somewhere through the pool if they thought that you were good enough. The only real reason Clare would take you would be if they thought that you'd improved!
    Now I'm a fairly unorthodox and obstinate person so I'd go for the same college again. Purely because I think that what you really need to do in interviews is to get on with the interviewers and to make yourself stand out. I reckon if you can come up with a couple of (really) good lines explaining why you've applied again and why you've improved then you're more likely to stand out as a person precisely because you _are_ being unpredictable and not following conventional advice.
    However, conventional wisdom does suggest to never reapply in this situation to the same college. It's a question of how badly do you want to go to Clare and could you deal with the same out come (or worse) if it happens again? If you can then I reckon that by all means you should go for it again, but you do have to be better!

Best of luck,

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    If I wanted to do it I'd do it. Otherwise you may always wonder what if?

ReputationRep:
    I know of someone who reapplied to the same college (corpus) and got in for history - so it can be done. But you'd be brave to try it!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.