The Student Room Group

What is considered fat in the UK?

A bit of a weird question, but here goes. I'm an international student that will be a fresher at a UK university this year. Now, in my country I am considered quite fat, at 170cm and 65kg. I'm sort of fit, but I have a lot of flab and such πŸ˜“. I was the heaviest girl in my secondary school, for example.

A friend of mine mentioned that UK people are, no offence, on average fatter than people from my country, just as US people are fatter than UK people. Obviously these are generalisations, but there are societal differences. I did not notice this when I went for my interview, but I also mainly hung out with other internationals.

My question is: will i still be "fat" in the U.K. (near London, if it matters)? I plan to lose a lot of weight anyway, but I will probably be around this size for fresher's week. How large does a girl have to be to be considered "irredeemably ugly" in the U.K.? What is considered "average"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't see how 65kg at 5'7" can ever be considered fat.
Original post by LowkeyAugust
A bit of a weird question, but here goes. I'm an international student that will be a fresher at a UK university this year. Now, in my country I am considered quite fat, at 170cm and 65kg. I'm sort of fit, but I have a lot of flab and such πŸ˜“. I was the heaviest girl in my secondary school, for example.

A friend of mine mentioned that UK people are, no offence, on average fatter than people from my country, just as US people are fatter than UK people. Obviously these are generalisations, but there are societal differences. I did not notice this when I went for my interview, but I also mainly hung out with other internationals.

My question is: will i still be "fat" in the U.K. (near London, if it matters)? I plan to lose a lot of weight anyway, but I will probably be around this size for fresher's week. How large does a girl have to be to be considered "irredeemably ugly" in the U.K.? What is considered "average"?

No. Your Body Mass Index according to your weight and height is 22.4, which means you are a healthy weight.

We might be a little fatter over here, but we are a lot less judgmental. :tongue:

Don't worry though, you have nothing to worry about when coming to the UK to study - you will not be thought of as fat.
Reply 3
Thank you! "Healthy" people can be considered "fat" in my country, which is why I asked. A normal teenage girl is usually around 19bmi, a pretty one closer to 18bmi. I am a size 8, 10 or 12 depending on the label, which some forums said was considered fat in the UK. What would be considered "average" in university?
Thank you! "Healthy" people can be considered "fat" in my country, which is why I asked. A normal teenage girl is usually around 19bmi, a pretty one closer to 18bmi. I am a size 8, 10 or 12 depending on the label, which some forums said was considered fat in the UK. What would be considered "average" in university?

Size 8-10 is very slim here in the UK. I think for women, size 12-14 is the average here.
Seriously stop even thinking about this. It's beyond pointless and frankly silly. Maybe where you are from it's normal to call size 8, 10 or 12 people fat, but not here Here it is petty and childish.

Seriously, you're healthy. So just stop obsessing over it.
A bit of a weird question, but here goes. I'm an international student that will be a fresher at a UK university this year. Now, in my country I am considered quite fat, at 170cm and 65kg. I'm sort of fit, but I have a lot of flab and such <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:47.91666666666667% 6.25%;background-size:4900%" data-codepoints="1f613"></span></span>. I was the heaviest girl in my secondary school, for example.

The average weight in the UK is borderline obese .You'll look like a model considering the amount of blimp sized people we have in this country. The country is so fat you're way more likely to have people calling you "anorexic" because the countries got so fat we've forgot what a healthy body actually looks like.
Reply 7
Original post by SophieSmall
Seriously stop even thinking about this. It's beyond pointless and frankly silly. Maybe where you are from it's normal to call size 8, 10 or 12 people fat, but not here Here it is petty and childish.

Seriously, you're healthy. So just stop obsessing over it.

Sorry! I have disordered eating so it has been a major source of stress for me the last few weeks.

Original post by intelligent con
The average weight in the UK is borderline obese .You'll look like a model considering the amount of blimp sized people we have in this country. The country is so fat you're way more likely to have people calling you "anorexic" because the countries got so fat we've forgot what a healthy body actually looks like.

Thank you for this insight! I am nowhere near thin enough for that, but it is a relief to know that I won't really stand out. All the international students I met were very slender, so I thought everyone would be. ☺️
Sorry! I have disordered eating so it has been a major source of stress for me the last few weeks.

If you have discorded eating I recommend you register yourself with your universities mental health and support team/ centre as soon as you arrive.

Chances are you will be average / just below average here. I am a guy, same height, half a stone lighter and people say I'm slim. Compared to 70% of my friends I guess but personally I think I am too big.
Original post by SophieSmall
If you have discorded eating I recommend you register yourself with your universities mental health and support team/ centre as soon as you arrive.

Thank you, but that isn't an option for me. From experience, unless you are underweight, they don't take you seriously. Plus, it isn't an eating disorder, just some tendencies I have to keep in check - if I were to disclose it, I would feel fake because I know what actually anorexic and bulimic people go through and I am nothing like them. Xx

Just out of curiosity, what would be fat/thin in the UK?
Original post by Chichaldo
Chances are you will be average / just below average here. I am a guy, same height, half a stone lighter and people say I'm slim. Compared to 70% of my friends I guess but personally I think I am too big.

I am a girl, which i think makes a lot of difference - guys can be heavier at the same height while still looking thin, so if you are that much lighter than me and still think you are too big, I must be huge! πŸ˜‚ I am working on fitness and toning as well as weight loss, but change is slow so I know there won't be much difference before I start at uni.
Thank you, but that isn't an option for me. From experience, unless you are underweight, they don't take you seriously. Plus, it isn't an eating disorder, just some tendencies I have to keep in check - if I were to disclose it, I would feel fake because I know what actually anorexic and bulimic people go through and I am nothing like them. Xx

Just out of curiosity, what would be fat/thin in the UK?

University mental health departments aren't doctors or diagnosing you. Instead they offer mental health support and sessions, such as counselling to anyone who feels they need it. My friend was struggling with his mental health at university, had never been diagnosed with anything. But he went to numerous counselling sessions and he found them very helpful in dealing with his mental health.

I am not answering that question because I do not want to encourage your disordered view of weight.
I am a girl, which i think makes a lot of difference - guys can be heavier at the same height while still looking thin, so if you are that much lighter than me and still think you are too big, I must be huge! πŸ˜‚ I am working on fitness and toning as well as weight loss, but change is slow so I know there won't be much difference before I start at uni.

Well no one else thinks it other than me so if it is other peoples' views that you are worried about (which you shouldn't be ;p) then you have nothing to worry about! It is only when I am really looking that I think I need to lose weight but I think most of us judge ourselves too harshly.
By all means stay healthy but be sure to eat well at uni and dedicate yourself to the course instead of worrying about something you have no need to worry about. I know that won't change your thinking but remember why you are studying there and what you wish to achieve in the first place. :smile:
Not having visible abs
Original post by Chichaldo

By all means stay healthy but be sure to eat well at uni and dedicate yourself to the course instead of worrying about something you have no need to worry about. I know that won't change your thinking but remember why you are studying there and what you wish to achieve in the first place. :smile:

No doubt! I am really looking forward to trying out new sports, doing different activities, and cooking for myself. Study and focus isn't an issue for me, but a work/life balance can be difficult - hence why I'm heavier than all my friends!! Xx
Original post by Hirsty97
Not having visible abs

πŸ‘ŒπŸ» That would make me fat, then. Better get to work!
I am considered fat, but I have visible abs. People are delusional
No doubt! I am really looking forward to trying out new sports, doing different activities, and cooking for myself. Study and focus isn't an issue for me, but a work/life balance can be difficult - hence why I'm heavier than all my friends!! Xx

Fantastic, don't push yourself too far when you are 100% healthy at present regardless of peoples' views on the line between fat and thin.
Take you being 'heavier' than your friends (can not be by a lot) as a testament to your work ethic and determination. ;p
All the best x
Reply 19
tfw when you read this thread and feel fat.

Quick Reply

Latest