The Student Room Group

What is considered fat in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tai Ga
tfw when you read this thread and feel fat.

I'm so sorry! That wasn't my intention 💛 I've just been stressing about it for a while.
Original post by LowkeyAugust
I am a girl, which i think makes a lot of difference - guys can be heavier at the same height while still looking thin, so if you are that much lighter than me and still think you are too big, I must be huge! 😂 I am working on fitness and toning as well as weight loss, but change is slow so I know there won't be much difference before I start at uni.

Maybe I'm tired and this is going to sound strange but women here are often bigger than the men (not necessarily taller or stronger, but wider and carrying more fat). Men are often slim, muscular, lean and women are hourglass shaped with wide hips, big bum, and big boobs. A lot of men prefer it that way, as the woman looks fertile and has "something to grab onto". It only works to be big-ish if you're smaller in the middle though (hourglass shape), which I know south asians have trouble with. But i'm guessing you're south east asian...Most men here prefer size 12-14 as far as I know. But maybe that's just what they tell me...
I would say if it is gripable then you are fat. Not saying it's bad or good to be fat.
Reply 23
I'm so sorry! That wasn't my intention 💛 I've just been stressing about it for a while.

lol dw I was joking.

I don't think anyone is really seen as fat until they get above size 16. I feel it goes like:

8/10 Slim
12 Average
14 Meaty/A lil chubby
16 Overweight
18+ fat
Original post by UniWasEz
I would say if it is gripable then you are fat. Not saying it's bad or good to be fat.

What does gripable mean?
Original post by Tai Ga
lol dw I was joking.

I don't think anyone is really seen as fat until they get above size 16. I feel it goes like:

8/10 Slim
12 Average
14 Meaty/A lil chubby
16 Overweight
18+ fat

Thank you! That does makes me feel a little bit better. Xx
What does gripable mean?

If you can easily grab it.
Take into account that the UK is, on average, one of the fattest countries in the world.
You're definitely not fat!
The sizes in the UK (in my experience) tend to be larger than in other countries (e.g. an extra small may correlate to a medium elsewhere)
Just hit the gym and stop worrying.

Quick Reply

Latest