The Student Room Group

Random rant from a muslim

Given all the recent attacks that have occurred from so-called Muslims, I feel sad. I feel betrayed by my fellow Muslims.

I am a Muslim and I am a liberal Muslim like most British Muslims. But my heart aches and I have even considered leaving Islam due to this. The hate towards Muslims is immense and I'm sad to say that I don't blame those that hate us.

But we aren't all like this. I love all my brothers and sisters, whether you are Christian, Jewish, Atheist and Agnostic and I would never convert you hate you for your beliefs.
I also personally support the gay community and I support the Transgender community because at the end of the day, whatever your opinions, we're all HUMANS and we should all love each other and protect each other.

My personal belief is whether your a muslim or not, it matters more if your a good person.
If Allah does exist, he would surely grant a person in heaven for good non-muslims than the murdering/rapist muslims. I believe this from the bottom of my heart.

I don't know why I made this thread, but I needed to let this out because I'm beyond sad at recent actions and I want ya'll to know that we're not all like this.

Scroll to see replies

Some of the most goodhearted and kind people I have ever met have been Muslim, evil people exist in every walk of life and it breaks my heart the hate they got for actions they did not do. Stay strong.
Original post by Anonymous
Given all the recent attacks that have occurred from so-called Muslims, I feel sad. I feel betrayed by my fellow Muslims.

I am a Muslim and I am a liberal Muslim like most British Muslims. But my heart aches and I have even considered leaving Islam due to this. The hate towards Muslims is immense and I'm sad to say that I don't blame those that hate us.

But we aren't all like this. I love all my brothers and sisters, whether you are Christian, Jewish, Atheist and Agnostic and I would never convert you hate you for your beliefs.
I also personally support the gay community and I support the Transgender community because at the end of the day, whatever your opinions, we're all HUMANS and we should all love each other and protect each other.

My personal belief is whether your a muslim or not, it matters more if your a good person.
If Allah does exist, he would surely grant a person in heaven for good non-muslims than the murdering/rapist muslims. I believe this from the bottom of my heart.

I don't know why I made this thread, but I needed to let this out because I'm beyond sad at recent actions and I want ya'll to know that we're not all like this.

I have definitely seen a change in how muslims are treated and in my opinion it's horrible. I think tbh judging a whole community because of a few that have chosen to commit distressing actions is unfair.
Just know that not everyone is judging muslims collectively :smile:

People don't hate Muslims - they hate the ideology and those that are using the ideology for their extremist propaganda to recruit young men that eventually go out on these rampages.

Mate most of the hate people have for Muslims is hidden from them.

Islam isn't at fault Islamism and culture is.

Muslims don't equal terrorists and everyone knows that even the EDL people know that. People are just less and less willing to put up with the rest of the Muslims when these things continually keep happening.
Reply 5
Original post by Proudboy
I'll be honest, I think Liberal & integrated Muslims like yourself are in the minority. The majority of Muslims refuse to integrate.

Maybe you are right since I don't know the majority of Muslims in the UK. But I live in East London where I personally feel most Muslims are liberal and are increasingly becoming so especially younger Muslims, just my opinion though.

I just wanted to make a thread spreading love because I'm sick of seeing so much hate from Muslims to non-muslims and vice versa, that's all (:
Reply 6
Original post by Cubone-r
People don't hate Muslims - they hate the ideology and those that are using the ideology for their extremist propaganda to recruit young men that eventually go out on these rampages.

I know, it's heartbreaking to hear about these attacks that continually occur. I await the day that love will conquer hate and these will stop. I hope.
I don't like Muslims, just like I don't like Christians, Jews, Black's, Whites or w/e. I like the person, doesn't matter what their background is.
Reply 8
Original post by paul514
Mate most of the hate people have for Muslims is hidden from them.

Islam isn't at fault Islamism and culture is.

Muslims don't equal terrorists and everyone knows that even the EDL people know that. People are just less and less willing to put up with the rest of the Muslims when these things continually keep happening.

I agree, culture plays a huge role. There are huge issues with certain cultures associated with Islam, namely Pakistani cultures.

And yes, I get that 100%. I find it hard to keep faith in my religion when these happen. It's SUPPOSED to be peace but it's not.
Reply 9
Original post by UniWasEz
I don't like Muslims, just like I don't like Christians, Jews, Black's, Whites or w/e. I like the person, doesn't matter what their background is.

As it should be :')
Maybe you are right since I don't know the majority of Muslims in the UK. But I live in East London where I personally feel most Muslims are liberal and are increasingly becoming so especially younger Muslims, just my opinion though.

I just wanted to make a thread spreading love because I'm sick of seeing so much hate from Muslims to non-muslims and vice versa, that's all (:

We obviously have vastly different views of what integration is. I think Britain's fear of nationalism is to blame for it in part though.

As I said, you seem well intentioned and I respect you for making this post.
Reply 11

Unfortunately, a lot of Muslims refuse to assimilate into the British 'culture', Muslims that have done so will live peaceful lives and get on with those around them.
When a Muslim comes over to Britain, brings their entire culture and religion with them, then has a family raised on the traditions of another country, it can make British people feel isolated. Then when terrorist attacks happen under the guise of Islam, British people are completely unable to say anything against the attacker for fear of being labelled 'Islamophobic'. This is why a lot of British people dislike Muslims.
(edited 6 years ago)
This was upsetting to read, :frown:.

I think everyone is just sick of hearing bad news everytime we turn on the TV/Radio. The level of hate which I see the Muslim community faced with is really unfair and I just wish that people would judge the person on who they are rather than what religion they follow.
Original post by Yotsuba
Unfortunately, a lot of Muslims refuse to assimilate into the British 'culture', Muslims that have done so will live peaceful lives and get on with those around them.
When a Muslim comes over to Britain, brings their entire culture and religion with them, then has a family raised on the traditions of another country, it can make British people feel isolated. Then when terrorist attacks happen under the guise of Islam, British people are completely unable to say anything against the attacker for fear of being labelled 'Islamophobic'. This is why a lot of British people dislike Muslims.

I completely understand. But at the same time, I don't think we should bring culture too much into it.
A balance needs to be found between accepting British values but also keeping your own culture for sure. I don't believe people should have to leave their cultural aspects behind due to British people feeling isolated.
I'm British, I was born here and lived here all my life but I still follow some of my cultural practices in the sense of clothing (albeit, not often) etc and I don't think that people should be made to feel that they can't follow their own faith/cultural practices.

BUT at the same time, I think that Muslims need to understand/accept that at it's core this is not a Muslim country and we do need to adopt some British values.

I personally wish we would see the human and the person before we see the religion/race/culture.
Original post by Proudboy
We obviously have vastly different views of what integration is. I think Britain's fear of nationalism is to blame for it in part though.

As I said, you seem well intentioned and I respect you for making this post.

Maybe it's more correct to say we are slowly moving towards integration, although of course, not all Muslims are.
Original post by King Koala
This was upsetting to read, :frown:.

I think everyone is just sick of hearing bad news everytime we turn on the TV/Radio. The level of hate which I see the Muslim community faced with is really unfair and I just wish that people would judge the person on who they are rather than what religion they follow.

Thank you for your kind post. I agree completely with you.

I live in East London too and I've yet to meet more than a handful of liberal Muslims. My family is Muslim and I'm not, and I attended a school full of Muslims where I once condemned the way Sharia is implemented in some countries. I hear a lot of "the majority of Muslims hate Sharia too!!1!" so I thought it'd be fine but I ended up getting heckled. We don't particularly have a shortage of Sharia supporters on this site, either.

So no, the majority of Muslims in East London aren't liberal, especially not the younger ones. Though, I do think with time, this will improve.

I am a Muslim and I am a liberal Muslim like most British Muslims. But my heart achest and I have even considered leaving Islam due to this. The hate towards Muslims is immense and I'm sad to say that I don't blame those that hate us.

Mate, we know you aren't all like this. It makes me sad that some people feel this way.. as far as I'm concerned if you grew up here you're British, regardless of your race or religion. It's your choice to leave Islam if you want too, in my opinion all religions are a waste of time but that's another can of worms :biggrin:

I'm glad that you're speaking-out, but the fact that you feel you have to do so anonymously is worrying.

I am a Muslim and I am a liberal Muslim like most British Muslims.

More than half of British Muslims want homosexuality to be illegal.

Agreed. That's far from what Islam teaches and the Quran says.

Agreed.

If Allah does exist, he would surely grant a person in heaven for good non-muslims than the murdering/rapist muslims.

The god of the Quran (and the Bible for that matter) is not a nice person.

Your morals are superior to your religion's.

I fully respect this. Please remember, majority of the British population, or even just world population, does not blame the Muslim communities. Sure, every country will always have the extreme white supremacy groups, or people with just ridiculous racist views, but this is not the common belief of the public. These terrorist's - of any religion - are trying to cause separation. They are trying to divide the country by turning people against each other with distrust and hate. This is not the fault of the Muslim community, or any other harmless religious and non religious communities.

Be proud of what you believe in. As long as it doesn't harm others, you are not at fault.

Quick Reply

Latest