The Student Room Group

I cant decide my career path....uni drop out, 22 year old mature student(intrenationa

----
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
---
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
---
(edited 6 years ago)
Tagging in Capita to help you. :smile:
Reply 4
---
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
bump...:frown:
Reply 6
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Tagging in Capita to help you. :smile:

The event has ended and I didn't get the help:frown:
If you're worried about the student visa cap in the UK, why don't you look at Canadian universities?
Reply 8
Peace,

What I would suggest is to first go back to the situation in 2014 and then the next year, and figure out what would be different, this time around. You indicated you failed your course, twice. What caused the failure? Did you have a lack of sincere interest in the area of study? Was it financial constraints or concerns, which caused the past failures? (and if so, what would be different this time around?) Did you actually apply yourself, the previous times, study, work to improve your study habits, read the materials and adequately prepare for the examinations? Perhaps, were you immature, partying too much, and if so, what would be different this time. Perhaps some combination of some or all of these issues affected your performance in the past? (Please know, I'm not accusing you of any of these things, just asking you to ask yourself these questions, before going back.)

I would suggest, just going back to uni, without first getting to the root cause or causes of the previous failures will be a mistake. I see you are expressing an interest in Engineering, despite the previous failures, which is fine, IF in the past you didn't do the work, were not applying yourself, were not studying, but honestly are interested in Engineering and have the necessary aptitudes to study such a difficult course of study. However, if that is not the case, try to find something you actually like and enjoy doing, and do not make the decision based upon if the particular area of work or profession pays a lot of money. You have a lot of people in positions paying lots of money who are unhappy, unfulfilled and miserable in their work. Well, being unhappy and miserable in your study, probably will not even get you to the point of graduating and then getting into that professional area you hate, so make the focus identifying which one of your interests you really enjoy. And again, review, being very honest with yourself in the process, the past reasons, for the past failures.

Best wishes to you, in whatever you decide to do as a chosen path.

Original post by fall7rise8
Actually I have asked the same question in the chat section... but I just want to get more advice from more people... so I ask here again

I am an international student who went to good uni( I dont want to people to know who I am, so Im not telling which uni I went) in 2014. I did an engineering course, I didnt do well, so I repeated the year and I failed again. I just didnt feel like I could do the course anymore didnt feel like getting good results and I didnt feel like I could graduate from the university anymore so I just quitted. Then I spent a year doing almost nothing. ( I did some part time jobs and clerical jobs in my home country, but that's it) I got good A-levels grades, in 2014, Maths A*,Chemistry A* Physics A*(Biology AS a 2013) but over the past three years, I forgot almost all of them.
I need time to go through all A level stuff.

plus, as I am an international student, there is a five-year cap on the student visa. I have already used 2 years. I don't know whether unis are still gonna take me anymore. And even if they do,I guess they wont be as good as the previous one. Maybe the biggest mistake that I have made is getting into a course that doesnt suit me. I don't hate my course, the people there were nice, and the course content was challenging and interesting to me. I regret not being able to learn a thing during the 2 years in uni.

For the career path, I can't decide between investment banking, consultancy, medicine and engineering. For the uni course, I think due to my A levels, I might choose a STEM course. I want to find a stable and high paid job after I graduate.(for my own good..) And it is also because there is a lady whom I really like, I want to be a person who is financially independent, have a professional career and have some stability. Im not sure how to decide...( Although my own personal interest is Japanese Language, I still want to go for a STEM degree...since the career prospects for simply relying on Japanese language is really dim(partly due to my nationality and first language), I have tried finding jobs requiring Japanese skills last year but no luck)

I am turning 22 years old this November.

I couldnt decide, will my chance to get into a prestigious university be slim due to my false start in the past few years? (like college for mature students in cambridge etc.) What steps and procedures should I take? I am also really worried about the international student visa about the 5 year limit, cuz I have already used 2 years.... I think that put me in a disadvantaged position in applying uni...

How can I start all over again...?

Thank you very much in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest