The Student Room Group

Do your parents pay you an allowance (uni)?

Poll

Do your parents pay you an allowance?

If yes, how much?
If no, do you feel they should?
Is it a good practice in your opinion?

With all this talk about dreadful "rent" let's discuss its sweeter opposite for once.

Scroll to see replies

They give me £200 a month,
I'd obviously rather they didn't have to but thats just how the system works :smile:
Original post by usualsuspects
If yes, how much?
If no, do you feel they should?
Is it a good practice in your opinion?

With all this talk about dreadful "rent" let's discuss its sweeter opposite for once.

Not so much of an allowance, but more of a lump sum thanks to their diligent saving alongside my grandparents waaaaay before I was born.

Should be enough to tide me through my years at university (plus the maintenance loan, of course)
Original post by Jackieox
I'd obviously rather they didn't have to but thats just how the system works :smile:

Better getting it from the bank of Mum and Dad than the student loans company, unless they're charging you interest on it. :tongue:
Reply 4

Well someone has to pay, either it's family, debt, the state or a job. The latter isn't ideal as a student.
Mum helped me out with the security deposit on my apartment, but once I'm settled in I have no intention of taking money from her, I work to support myself so I should be completely fine. :smile:

I always feel a bit uncomfortable taking money from my mum, but at the same time I always know she'd be there if something bad happened!
Well someone has to pay, either it's family, debt, the state or a job. The latter isn't ideal as a student.

I'm on minimum loan so they're almost expected too make up the difference, I work three jobs as well though to help them out a bit
Reply 7
Original post by Blue_Cow
Not so much of an allowance, but more of a lump sum thanks to their diligent saving alongside my grandparents waaaaay before I was born.

Should be enough to tide me through my years at university (plus the maintenance loan, of course)

It's nice how some responsible families set money aside for their children's education even before they are born. Not everyone can fully support a student directly from their income, but many can accumulate the money if they save wisely over the years.
My parents help me out by letting me live in their house for free. I assume that once uni finishes and I'm looking for full time employment, that will change.
It'll good if during the application and entitlement summary process, SFE would put down how much they expect parents (especially high-income ones) to contribute. That way it will avoid all sorts of arguments and confusion.
Reply 10
I'm on minimum loan so they're almost expected too make up the difference, I work three jobs as well though to help them out a bit

If loan +200 isn't enough it means that student finance expects your parents should be able to contribute more (?)
Reply 11
Original post by Paracosm
Mum helped me out with the security deposit on my apartment, but once I'm settled in I have no intention of taking money from her, I work to support myself so I should be completely fine. :smile:

I always feel a bit uncomfortable taking money from my mum, but at the same time I always know she'd be there if something bad happened!

If she can I don't think you should feel uncomfortable taking money. It's going to be yours once you inherit.
My maintenance loan doesn't even cover my accommodation, so my parents will help out where they can. I'm going to look for a part time job that can fit around uni life asap though, because I'd rather be as small as a burden on them as I can.
If she can I don't think you should feel uncomfortable taking money. It's going to be yours once you inherit.

She works hard for her money, I lived for 18 years at her expense. I have no need to take it, no reason to want it and absolutely no right to it. If I got into a tricky situation then I know I can depend on her, but apart from that it's her money - not mine. I'm glad to be in a position where I work and will be more than able to support myself. To take money from my mother with that in mind would just be greedy.
They give me £200 a month for food and grocery costs - and paid my accommodation deposit! I don't get the minimum loan (I get above £1000 over it)
It's not exactly a good practice, but it's an essential practice because of how student finance entitlement works
(edited 6 years ago)
If loan +200 isn't enough it means that student finance expects your parents should be able to contribute more (?)

They can't afford to =/
Reply 16
Original post by Blue_Cow
It'll good if during the application and entitlement summary process, SFE would put down how much they expect parents (especially high-income ones) to contribute. That way it will avoid all sorts of arguments and confusion.

They kinda do, it's just the difference between what they give you and what the maximum loan is.

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/09/02/how-much-are-parents-supposed-to-give-their-children-when-they-go-to-university/
I haven't started yet but they'll give me £30 a week. Pretty sure this will be enough but I've done a lot of work this past year so I've got quite a lot saved up if it's not.
I'm not starting university til 18 entry however no they won't be contributing - I get the full maintenance loan, and living with my OH while at uni makes it very cheap

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's nice how some responsible families set money aside for their children's education even before they are born. Not everyone can fully support a student directly from their income, but many can accumulate the money if they save wisely over the years.

It's a lovely, generous thing to do. My grandma set aside some money when I was born and when I was 3 which has gained interest over the years and will enable me to buy a car. She also paid for the first years rent of my student accommodation.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest