xx_clove
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys, so I'm deciding my gcse choices soon and I was wondering, should I do an Ancient Greek gcse? At my school Greek is an extra gcse, so we have classes before and after school, at lunches etc. Not many people take it, so the people that do generally get A*s in it. However, I really hate languages and memorisation, so I was wondering whether I should do it or not? Would it be beneficial to me in later life for me to do it? Also, since my school only lets us do 10 GCSEs > unless we do Greek, and I really REALLY want to do 12 GCSEs (I did Chinese in Y7), is doing Greek worth it?
Babyoleg
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The short answer is no
NeedHelpHelpNeed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it is worth doing, but i don't know for you since you don't like memorisation which is what languages like latin and greek are, more so than modern languages like french, especially when letters are in a different alphabet (in greek). In later life it won't affect you unless you go into something related to classics at uni or for a job. But in a way you won't forget doing greek since you will be able to relate many english words to their greek origins when you see them. Also it's quite a unique experience doing the subject with only a few people (i had around 8-11 in my class), which is a break from your other classes of 18-20 people.

I don't know what the new greek 9-1 exam will include, but if they continue with set texts, which they probably will, it basically means you have to memorise the translation of a really long greek verse writing (which is like some old greek poem by some famous greek guy) and another translation of a greek prose writing (which is like normal non-poem literature from some famous greek guy), and be able to recognise the greek words in their original texts. That is like the greek 'literature' part of things; imagine english literature and all that analysis you had to do for english, but now you do it in another language (alliteration, metaphors, etc). The greek 'language' side of the course would just include you memorising a list of words which OCR give you, and also learning grammar like modern languages, although the grammar is a bit harder with greek imo, literally just because it isn't an english alphabet so its harder to remember what goes where. Sorry for the muddled explanation, but if you need any further clarification, just ask.

So overall it just depends how much you hate languages, and whether your desire to do 1 more gcse is greater!
username1985465
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you hate languages and memorisation, then don't do it. If you're doing it as an extra you run the risk of not being very into it and either completely flunking it or screwing over you others as you panic and have to cram so so much memorisation. But it's your choice.
koala789
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't do it if you're just trying to reach a certain number of GCSEs... you need to be interested and invested into doing a subject as rigorous as Ancient Greek. It can also be more intimidating than latin because of it's alphabet, and more grammatical structures & definite articles etc.
Don't put your other subjects at risk of being lower by over stretching yourself. Whatever you choose, make sure its what you really want to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (216)
75%
No (72)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed