The Student Room Group

UK supermarket may have sold sausages infected with hepatitis E virus

'Pork products sold by a leading British supermarket may have infected thousands of people with a form of hepatitis that can cause liver cirrhosis, according to health officials'

60 people infected with Hep E had all eaten own-brand sausages and ready-to-eat sliced ham from an unnamed retailer known as Supermarket X, The Times reported.
The research was carried out between 2014 and 2016, in an attempt to find a link between shipping habits and the infection. The consumption of ham and sausages from one store was a recurring feature.

Sources told The Times that they believe Supermarket X was Tesco.

Symptoms for Hep E infection?
Most people infected experience mild flu-like symptoms, fatigue, abdominal pain, vomiting and aching joints and muscles, which last for a month. However, those with suppressed immune systems may struggle to fight the virus and can experience a chronic infection, liver cirrhosis and neurological damage.

Do you eat own brand sausages or ready to eat sliced ham? Or are you glad you're a veggie right now?This study is from a few years ago so it's not a current worry...reminded me of the #horsemeat scandal!
I go to a proper butchers, not own brand ****.

I quite like horse meat, it's a shame it isn't more widely available.
It's probably Aldi or Lidl, you wouldn't get this at Waitrose.
Man, this whole eating animal flesh thing is such a terrible idea. Why haven't people cottoned on yet?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Man, this whole eating animal flesh thing is such a terrible. Why haven't people cottoned on yet?

The large majority of people are happy and safe having steaks and sausages and tasty fish. Meat is one of lifes pleasures
(edited 6 years ago)
Man, this whole eating animal flesh thing is such a terrible. Why haven't people cottoned on yet?

I like it and it doesn't bother me that I am eating the flesh of an animal.
Reply 6
Original post by summer1311
'Pork products sold by a leading British supermarket may have infected thousands of people with a form of hepatitis that can cause liver cirrhosis, according to health officials'

60 people infected with Hep E had all eaten own-brand sausages and ready-to-eat sliced ham from an unnamed retailer known as Supermarket X, The Times reported.
The research was carried out between 2014 and 2016, in an attempt to find a link between shipping habits and the infection. The consumption of ham and sausages from one store was a recurring feature.

Sources told The Times that they believe Supermarket X was Tesco.

Symptoms for Hep E infection?
Most people infected experience mild flu-like symptoms, fatigue, abdominal pain, vomiting and aching joints and muscles, which last for a month. However, those with suppressed immune systems may struggle to fight the virus and can experience a chronic infection, liver cirrhosis and neurological damage.

Do you eat own brand sausages or ready to eat sliced ham? Or are you glad you're a veggie right now?This study is from a few years ago so it's not a current worry...reminded me of the #horsemeat scandal!

Wtf is this Supermarket X nonsense? If you (not you you, just in general) are sure of your findings then name and shame, if you're not then this is unfairly damaging to every other supermarket too. And then 'anonymously claiming' it's Tesco? Why don't the researchers go on record with their findings?

exactly my thoughts
Reply 8
Original post by ThomH97
Wtf is this Supermarket X nonsense? If you (not you you, just in general) are sure of your findings then name and shame, if you're not then this is unfairly damaging to every other supermarket too. And then 'anonymously claiming' it's Tesco? Why don't the researchers go on record with their findings?

Yeah the supermarket x thing is a bit dodgy; they obvs don't want to cause a pr nightmare for the supermarket, but it does cast suspicion on all the rest of them! also, 'sources told' is v vague.
Reply 9
Original post by Mathemagicien
Yeah, you would.

E.g. Waitrose has been caught up in the contaminated egg thing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/10/dutch-egg-scandal-real-number-contaminated-eggs-700000-fsa-says/

All the main supermarkets tend to share suppliers, so this is fairly common. Waitrose eggs are probably exactly the same ones on the shelves at Lidl, just with fancier packaging and an extra digit added to the price. So coming back to the OP, the question really is not so much which supermarket was affected, but how on earth the rest of them managed to avoid the tainted products.
Ffs, just tell us which corporate shitehole has been selling us these lurgy sausages!
Original post by Meany Pie
I go to a proper butchers, not own brand ****

Have you asked where they get their meat from? Most "proper" butchers near me source from the local wholesalers which in some respect is less tracable than supermarket offerings.
Reply 12
You mean there's a possibility of contracting disease from consuming a scavenger/swine that eats it's own faeces? ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending