The Student Room Group

Maths resit for medicine

Has anyone got an offer for medicine after resitting a module of maths in year 13? Or does this disadvantage you?
Reply 1
Original post by anji1234
Has anyone got an offer for medicine after resitting a module of maths in year 13? Or does this disadvantage you?

It depends on the university that you want to apply to. A few don't accept retakes, but the majority don't mind as long as you have done your A-levels over 2 years, and some require extenuating circumstances or a significant improvement.

https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-school-a-level-resit-policies/

You can find the policies here, but you can always contact the admissions teams if you are unsure.
Reply 2
Original post by ax12
It depends on the university that you want to apply to. A few don't accept retakes, but the majority don't mind as long as you have done your A-levels over 2 years, and some require extenuating circumstances or a significant improvement.

https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-school-a-level-resit-policies/

You can find the policies here, but you can always contact the admissions teams if you are unsure.

Thank you this was quite helpful. I have done so and 3 of the 4 I did allow resits but I'm a bi confused on Oxford because this is what they replied "Whilst we have no formal rule about re-sits, we would stress that we are looking for those with capability to do well at a course that is more demanding both in breadth and depth than A-level. An applicant who is struggling to reach the standard of an A grade in several AS or A2 modules is not likely to be well-suited to it, whereas a student performing consistently well across all modules stands a stronger chance of competing successfully for a place on our programme. There may be special reasons why particular students do not do well at the start of AS studies, but they should put any doubt about their potential behind them by the time they take A2 if they are to be realistic prospects for a place." , I guess this means no resits ?
Reply 3
Thank you this was quite helpful. I have done so and 3 of the 4 I did allow resits but I'm a bi confused on Oxford because this is what they replied "Whilst we have no formal rule about re-sits, we would stress that we are looking for those with capability to do well at a course that is more demanding both in breadth and depth than A-level. An applicant who is struggling to reach the standard of an A grade in several AS or A2 modules is not likely to be well-suited to it, whereas a student performing consistently well across all modules stands a stronger chance of competing successfully for a place on our programme. There may be special reasons why particular students do not do well at the start of AS studies, but they should put any doubt about their potential behind them by the time they take A2 if they are to be realistic prospects for a place." , I guess this means no resits ?

It sounds like they might allow resits within AS but would be less forgiving at A2, especially if you only re-do one exam. If it came to a tie break between you and another student who didn't have resits, they would get the place. It's worth applying as you've only got one resit, if you have the right predictions

I think their argument is that it’s fine but you have to prove with your actual A2 results that you are academically capable. I’d say the best interpretation would be either...
One, if you got your A2 grade then you can reapply after a gap year because they’ll know you’re capable.
Or two, you can apply and if the other aspects of the application are good and you interview well they may just insist on more stringent requirements as part of your offer. For example a certain UMS on that module.
If in doubt the best person to ask is the University themselves!
Reply 5
Original post by ax12
It sounds like they might allow resits within AS but would be less forgiving at A2, especially if you only re-do one exam. If it came to a tie break between you and another student who didn't have resits, they would get the place. It's worth applying as you've only got one resit, if you have the right predictions

Thanks for the advice. I would meet the predictions just really worried about their policy on resits. It's possible not to resit but its a risk cuz i dont know how well I'll do next year, I would need an 82 average to get A .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending