The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LRxS
My favourite is Leeds where I think I am a lot safer (other than BMAT uncertainty). However my personal statement is really strong (I have had a retired admissions tutor and a few doctors read it) and I do have current, involved experience in the pharmacy where I advise patients etc, but I am still worried. By ECs do you mean extracurriculars? As I have several of those. Again thank you so much for replying.

If your calculater score is great and professionals are advising you that your ps is amazing then who am I to contradict them? 😊
If you are worried there are many unis that will interview you for sure and that might offer you a safe/r option.
Good luck
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Hopeiseverything
If your calculater score is great and professionals are advising you that your ps is amazing then who am I to contradict them? 😊
If you are worried there are many unis that will interview might offer you a safe/r option.
Good luck

You're contradicting nobody, don't worry! Honestly I'm glad somebody agrees I should be a bit worried and I'm not just going mad lol. Very best of luck to you as well - where else are you applying?
Original post by LRxS
You're contradicting nobody, don't worry! Honestly I'm glad somebody agrees I should be a bit worried and I'm not just going mad lol. Very best of luck to you as well - where else are you applying?

Leicester, Southampton and UEA
Reply 63
Leicester, Southampton and UEA

What did you like about Leicester? I was thinking about applying there instead of Cardiff, but I haven't been.
Original post by LRxS
What did you like about Leicester? I was thinking about applying there instead of Cardiff, but I haven't been.

My main criteria for selection so far has been best chance of getting an interview and being far away from London 😂 I visited 10 unis and shortlisted the aforementioned.
Leicester's new building and facilities are amazing and they do dissection. It's actually my top choice
[QUOTE="Hopeiseverything;73909526"]
Original post by Dan Milik
Hi guys
My calculated score based on the adjusted ukcat deciles for 2016 is 7.8333
Is this enough for interview?
Achieved A levels: A*AA
GCSEs: 6A* 6A
Work experience: 1 week shadowing a GP and nurses in local practice
Weekly voluntary work at local care home

You have a reasonable chance of an interview I think. Unless of course lots of people with scores of 9 and 10 apply which we wouldn't know.
Are your other options "safer"?
Good luck

I'm thinking Manchester, Southampton, Nottingham, Plymouth and Birmingham but can't decide which one to drop
[QUOTE="Milik;73922954" Dan="Dan"]

I'm thinking Manchester, Southampton, Nottingham, Plymouth and Birmingham but can't decide which one to drop

Ukcat score?
Reply 67
My main criteria for selection so far has been best chance of getting an interview and being far away from London 😂 I visited 10 unis and shortlisted the aforementioned.
Leicester's new building and facilities are amazing and they do dissection. It's actually my top choice

Hahaha! I love London, but man, I could not live there for 5+ years.... and northerners and brummies are friendlier 😂 I only visited like 4 places, I ran out of money for train tickets, because that's how good I am at forward planning lmao.

On a side note: I swear all the dissection universities are like "we are one of only 3 in the UK that offer dissection!" but Leicester, UCL, Leeds, Nottingham, Edinburgh and I think Cardiff and Barts all do? Plus probably others 😂
[QUOTE="Hopeiseverything;73923000"]
Original post by Dan Milik

Ukcat score?

700 sjt band 2
GCSEs: 9A*s 2As
A-level achieved grades: A*AA
UKCAT achieved: 740
UKCAT SJT: Band 2
Duration work experience: 1 week hospital, 6 months care home, 6 months cadets
Score from Birmingham offer calculator: 9.667
[QUOTE="Milik;73923194" Dan="Dan"]

700 sjt band 2

Your ukcat is great so drop the one that uses your ps most as that is subjective
If I have an offer calculator score of 10, would it be at all possible for my PS to hold me back in any way? I'm not saying it's not good, it's just that obviously it's quite subjective and I was hoping that this one would be a definite interview.
Original post by Amelia2163
If I have an offer calculator score of 10, would it be at all possible for my PS to hold me back in any way? I'm not saying it's not good, it's just that obviously it's quite subjective and I was hoping that this one would be a definite interview.

Probably not. Unless you don't have the 2 weeks required worked experience in your statement
Original post by Stanspam
Probably not. Unless you don't have the 2 weeks required worked experience in your statement

Thanks! Where did they state this requirement? I've included it in my PS but I just want to check if theres anything else I missed.

Just make sure that you have long term voluntary work and EC indicated in your ps.
This is my opinion based on my research and open day discussions. Own due diligence applies of course
Thanks! Where did they state this requirement? I've included it in my PS but I just want to check if theres anything else I missed.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/college-mds/courses/undergraduate/Medicine-and-Surgery-MBChB/faqs-medicine-2016.pdf
Hi everyone,
My offer score is 7.4, do you suggest it's worth applying to Birmingham?
Original post by medic564
Hi everyone,
My offer score is 7.4, do you suggest it's worth applying to Birmingham?

What are the rest of your stats?
7.4 might be borderline considering the interim ukcat results this year were higher.
The questions I would ask myself, is there a safer option? Do I like this uni so much that I'm willing to take some risk ?
What are the rest of your stats?
7.4 might be borderline considering the interim ukcat results this year were higher.
The questions I would ask myself, is there a safer option? Do I like this uni so much that I'm willing to take some risk ?

GCSEs: 8A*, 1A
Ukcat: 630 average band 3 :frown:
Predictions: A*A*A

I'm confused which two to choose from Birmingham, Cardiff and Keele. I wasn't able to visit these universities which makes it harder to decide. Which you do you reckon I'd have have the best chance at? Thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending