The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medic564
GCSEs: 8A*, 1A
Ukcat: 630 average band 3 :frown:
Predictions: A*A*A

I'm confused which two to choose from Birmingham, Cardiff and Keele. I wasn't able to visit these universities which makes it harder to decide. Which you do you reckon I'd have have the best chance at? Thanks :smile:

Cardiff you'll score 26/27 and if your ps is good then it might be your safer option as they only look at ukcat scores in tie break situations I believe. keele I have no idea about
(edited 6 years ago)
A level predicted grades: A*AA
AS level grades: AABB (sucks I know)
Ukcat score: 708
Sjt: band 3 (very annoying since i got band 2 in all the practice papers. Hopefully it does not hinder my application?)
Duration of work experience: paediatric emergency for a year, GP practice for a week, creche for 6 months etc
Score from calculator: 7.877777...
Is this good enough to apply?
I got 4A* 5A and a C in French at gcse
A in AS physxis and A* in a level Italian achieved
A*A*A* predictions
765 ukcat average
Offer calculator is 8.45
I don’t know whether to apply due to my gcse
Original post by Shahi12
A level predicted grades: A*AA
AS level grades: AABB (sucks I know)
Ukcat score: 708
Sjt: band 3 (very annoying since i got band 2 in all the practice papers. Hopefully it does not hinder my application?)
Duration of work experience: paediatric emergency for a year, GP practice for a week, creche for 6 months etc
Score from calculator: 7.877777...
Is this good enough to apply?

You have s reasonable chance in my opinion. Good luck
Original post by tiger_manpower
A*A*A* predictions
765 ukcat average
Offer calculator is 8.45

Your score of 8.45 is more than good enough, in my opinion Of course
Reply 85
Original post by Hopeiseverything
I'm applying to Birmingham and I think you are right to be a little concrened regarding their ps criteria.
Though they don't score your ps, they do actually expect minimum time spent volunteering and ECs indicated, they also stipulate that it has to be current.
Is Birmingham your favourite ?
Do you have a safer option?

Hi, sorry what has to be current?
Reply 86
How often do they ask for details on work experience if you've been called for interview?
Hi, sorry what has to be current

I always thought that for Birmingham you need to indicate long term and ongoing voluntary work in your PS. However this may have changed now. You can read the link I posted earlier and you may seek clarification from admission if you are not sure.
Here it is 😊
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/college-mds/courses/undergraduate/Medicine-and-Surgery-MBChB/faqs-medicine-2016.pdf
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AJ:)
How often do they ask for details on work experience if you've been called for interview?

No idea. But all unis select a percentage? Of applicants and make further enquiries, including checking references etc...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by medic564
GCSEs: 8A*, 1A
Ukcat: 630 average band 3 :frown:
Predictions: A*A*A

I'm confused which two to choose from Birmingham, Cardiff and Keele. I wasn't able to visit these universities which makes it harder to decide. Which you do you reckon I'd have have the best chance at? Thanks :smile:

I would go for Cardiff as you would score 26 out of 27 I think. Have you checked?
Can't advise you re Keele. Sorry!
Reply 90
Original post by tiger_manpower
A*A*A* predictions
765 ukcat average
Offer calculator is 8.45

Your offer calculator takes into account your GCSE's. Anything over 7 on the offer calculator is good and anything over 7.5 is excellent. Based on your offer calculator score you should almost definitely get an interview, assuming you have some work ex and a good personal statement.
Quick question from me:

I'm finalising my final (4th) choice, and I have the following stats:
IB: Predicted 44-45/45 with 777HL including bio&chem
IGCSE: 7A* 1A 2B (A* in science, maths, eng. lang., a foreign language, and humanities)
UKCAT: 655 Band 3...
Work exp:
- 4 months with disabled children
- 1 week emergency surgery
- 1 week plastic & neurosurgery
- employed at a doctor's office, but doing mostly admin stuff
Offer calculator: 7.75

My other choices are Leicester, UCL, and Cambridge. I'm torn between Birmingham, King's, and QMUL. From what I was told, my Band 3 makes it really difficult for me to get an interview at King's. Would B-ham be a "safer" choice?
Contextually, I am not a native speaker (EU applicant), and only switched to an English-speaking school in my home country with the start of my IGCSEs. Don't know if that would make any difference though.
Edit: Do I have to explicitly say how long I have been doing the volunteering for? I talked about "weekly improvements" etc in regards to my work with the disabled children - would that be enough of an indicator?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mac117
Quick question from me:

I'm finalising my final (4th) choice, and I have the following stats:
IB: Predicted 44-45/45 with 777HL including bio&chem
IGCSE: 7A* 1A 2B (A* in science, maths, eng. lang., a foreign language, and humanities)
UKCAT: 655 Band 3...
Work exp:
- 4 months with disabled children
- 1 week emergency surgery
- 1 week plastic & neurosurgery
- employed at a doctor's office, but doing mostly admin stuff
Offer calculator: 7.75

My other choices are Leicester, UCL, and Cambridge. I'm torn between Birmingham, King's, and QMUL. From what I was told, my Band 3 makes it really difficult for me to get an interview at King's. Would B-ham be a "safer" choice?
Contextually, I am not a native speaker (EU applicant), and only switched to an English-speaking school in my home country with the start of my IGCSEs. Don't know if that would make any difference though.
Edit: Do I have to explicitly say how long I have been doing the volunteering for? I talked about "weekly improvements" etc in regards to my work with the disabled children - would that be enough of an indicator?[/
Birmingham is a safer bet for you than kings due to your ukcat score in my opinion.
Reply 93
My daughter scored 637.5 in UKCAT ( 2550) and her IGCSE scores are 5 A*, 3A . What is the recommend choice among - QUB, Leicester, Birmimgham, Liverpool, Nottigham. She has done decent voluntary work, medical attachments and her predicated scores in IB 766 for HL subjects. Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.
Reply 94
Original post by seshsri
My daughter scored 637.5 in UKCAT ( 2550) and her IGCSE scores are 5 A*, 3A . What is the recommend choice among - QUB, Leicester, Birmimgham, Liverpool, Nottigham. She has done decent voluntary work, medical attachments and her predicated scores in IB 766 for HL subjects. Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.

What are her scores at QUB, Leicester, Birmingham and Nottingham, who all use a scoring system to rank applicants?
At Liverpool they score 9 GCSEs, so if your daughter only has 8, this may put her at a disadvantage in the scoring system, as usually a score of 16+ is needed. If her school only allowed her to sit 8, it may be worth contacting Liverpool to ask if they make any allowances for this. UKCAT cut off for Liverpool (which comes after GCSE ranking) was 625 2 years ago (the first year Liverpool used it) and 640 last year, so her score may well be borderline and you would need to check deciles to see how her result compares to where 640 was last year. They then score PS.
Original post by dépaysant
Hi all,

Offer calculator: 9.66

A-level predicted grades: A*A*A*
AS achieved grades: AAB (Economics, Maths, Further Maths)
UKCAT (achieved): 730
UKCAT SJ band : 2
Duration work experience: 30

Question, if anyone knows: I got a B in FM AS (by 1 UMS...very irritating), but I'm retaking FP1 anyway since I got a D in it. Birmingham say they don't look at AS as criteria for interview but an offer will include an A at AS for FM if it's been taken (would be better if I never took it basically). Will my already-achieved B not affect this?

Your stats look good but have you checked that they allow you to do Maths and Further Maths, as most medical schools I have seen don’t actually count these as 2 separate A Levels. You will also need to check whether they allow resits
Reply 96
Hi all,

Offer calculator: 9.66

A-level predicted grades: A*A*A*
AS achieved grades: AAB (Economics, Maths, Further Maths)
UKCAT (achieved): 730
UKCAT SJ band : 2
Duration work experience: 30

Question, if anyone knows: I got a B in FM AS (by 1 UMS...very irritating), but I'm retaking FP1 anyway since I got a D in it. Birmingham say they don't look at AS as criteria for interview but an offer will include an A at AS for FM if it's been taken (would be better if I never took it basically). Will my already-achieved B not affect this?

Retaking a module shouldn't be a problem as far as I know, but it is worth checking.
You'll also need to check your subjects are allowed - I'm pretty sure all the uk medical schools require Chemistry, and most, including Birmingham, require Biology. Also, as has already been mentioned, many medical schools don't count Maths & Further maths as 2 subjects, so would require you to offer an additional A-Level as well.
You might be eligible for a foundation year course though, as you have kind of taken the "wrong" subjects, so you should look into that.
Original post by LRxS
Retaking a module shouldn't be a problem as far as I know, but it is worth checking.
You'll also need to check your subjects are allowed - I'm pretty sure all the uk medical schools require Chemistry, and most, including Birmingham, require Biology. Also, as has already been mentioned, many medical schools don't count Maths & Further maths as 2 subjects, so would require you to offer an additional A-Level as well.
You might be eligible for a foundation year course though, as you have kind of taken the "wrong" subjects, so you should look into that.

Original post by MollBritton98
Your stats look good but have you checked that they allow you to do Maths and Further Maths, as most medical schools I have seen don’t actually count these as 2 separate A Levels. You will also need to check whether they allow resits

Sorry, you've misunderstood! I didn't explain, I'm doing Chemistry and Biology but they're reformed so I don't have AS levels in those. :smile:
Reply 98
Sorry, you've misunderstood! I didn't explain, I'm doing Chemistry and Biology but they're reformed so I don't have AS levels in those. :smile:

Ahhh! That makes a lot more sense 😂
Entry requirements for dentistryA level and GCSE grades

Latest

Trending

Trending