The Student Room Group

Getting on a PGCE without experience

Hi,

I have just finished my BSc. and I have a former tutor who will allow me to train under him.

Yet, I do not have formal experience in teaching (apart from helping people out in general and on the course).

What should I include in my personal statement that will help my case and will I stand a good chance? The university currently seem open to an application from me.
Original post by AnEvolvedApe
Hi,

I have just finished my BSc. and I have a former tutor who will allow me to train under him.

Yet, I do not have formal experience in teaching (apart from helping people out in general and on the course).

What should I include in my personal statement that will help my case and will I stand a good chance? The university currently seem open to an application from me.

Just to clarify. In what role would you be teaching as it sounds like you would be teaching/lecturing at a university?
Original post by tom_tom_tom
Just to clarify. In what role would you be teaching as it sounds like you would be teaching/lecturing at a university?

I intend to lecture Music Technology in a college capacity. I do have some freelance experience gained during my studies.
Original post by AnEvolvedApe
I intend to lecture Music Technology in a college capacity. I do have some freelance experience gained during my studies.

Would you be looking to do a diploma in adult teaching instead of a PGCE? You will have to be underpinned by a uni to do a PGCE and as far as I'm aware they do not offer these in HE.
Original post by tom_tom_tom
Would you be looking to do a diploma in adult teaching instead of a PGCE? You will have to be underpinned by a uni to do a PGCE and as far as I'm aware they do not offer these in HE.

I see. I haven't actually considered that option. However, I do require a course where I'd be eligible for student funding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending