The Student Room Group

What is the average starting salary for your degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ryanthom100
Also visas ain't that much of an issue apparently, there's a visa that gives u 3 years to find work, in that time u can apply for US residency, if u have work in 3 years, u can stay an extra 3 years.

Got the info from this website, scroll down to the 'Can I get to silicon valley?' Part. Its called the H1-B visa.

I'm not seeing a link, and that's definitely not how the H1-B works - I had one. See here for the correct information.
Original post by RogerOxon
I'm not seeing a link, and that's definitely not how the H1-B works - I had one. See here for the correct information.

https://80000hours.org/2012/02/software-engineering-britain-vs-silicon-valley/
He did state his info may be unreliable

You misread it:
https://80000hours.org/2012/02/software-engineering-britain-vs-silicon-valley/
Wikipedia notes that the visa allows for skilled workers with at least a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent, in some cases including experience) in the field to enter the US for up to three years to work for a specific employer (although employees may switch employers), which must sponsor the application.

Also visas ain't that much of an issue apparently, there's a visa that gives u 3 years to find work, in that time u can apply for US residency, if u have work in 3 years, u can stay an extra 3 years.

You MUST have a job, and that employer MUST sponsor the H1-B application. If at any point during your stay in the US, you lose your job, you have to leave the country. In practice, there is a short period when you could get another job.
Original post by stevenmoore
I am studying Computer Science and the average starting salary is £21,840 according to Unistats

£28k - £30k, Computer Science and Electronics.
Original post by RogerOxon
You MUST have a job, and that employer MUST sponsor the H1-B application. If at any point during your stay in the US, you lose your job, you have to leave the country. In practice, there is a short period when you could get another job.

ohhhhhh, ok I get it, thanks for clearing it up for me.
Social Worker = According to google, the average starting salary is £27,360
hahaha £30k you peasants!
Original post by angelike1
hahaha £30k you peasants!

There's alot of people on here including myself that earn more on their grad schemes. No need to boast when you have little to boast about
Original post by Skyewoods
There's alot of people on here including myself that earn more on their grad schemes. No need to boast when you have little to boast about

I was joking... sheesh...

If you makes you feel better medics graduate with a 30k salary 2-3 years later than everyone else.
Original post by angelike1
I was joking... sheesh...

If you makes you feel better medics graduate with a 30k salary 2-3 years later than everyone else.

That doesn't matter. You can earn a lot and still be humble about it.
Original post by Skyewoods
That doesn't matter. You can earn a lot and still be humble about it.

Lol I am being humble about it.

By the same age you would be earning more than me (probably) due to the length of a medical degree. So it's not really a lot.
Original post by stevenmoore
I am studying Computer Science and the average starting salary is £21,840 according to Unistats

do you mean average starting salary of the jobs I can apply to and get with my degree or just the average starting salary people have achieved (doing all sorts of things professional or not) after finishing my degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Starting salaries vary depending on the following;LocationPrevious working experienceDegree classificationSector you will be working forSpecific role within CS you are applying toEtcI am due to graduate CS this year but I have been lucky enough to be offered £31,000 as a starting salary with many benefits, and I am outside London!Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending