Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2020 Entry Watch

Baselevel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by laurenashton94)
Warwick, Nottingham, Swansea are in the top 3 I’m not sure about the 4th choice at the moment (this is based upon what I’ve read online) However, I’m going to Nottingham’s open day in a couple weeks to hopefully get a better insight into the uni and the course 😊 it all depends on GAMSAT and UKCAT of course!
Nice, I was also looking into those three. For a fourth it seems as though sitting the UKCAT might be neccessary for me but not sure if that's feasible studying for UKCAT + GAMSAT + working 9/5 and getting work experience. I'm going to the Notts open day as well.
laurenjade24
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Baselevel)
Nice, I was also looking into those three. For a fourth it seems as though sitting the UKCAT might be neccessary for me but not sure if that's feasible studying for UKCAT + GAMSAT + working 9/5 and getting work experience. I'm going to the Notts open day as well.
Yeah I’m not sure about a 4th at the moment, I think I may wait until next year and see how I get on in the tests to see where to apply? It’s a crazy commitment just for the application stages, such a balancing act; luckily you can sit the GAMSAT in March and September so you could perhaps sit it earlier then focus on the UKCAT after so you’re only studying for one at a time? I don’t know how easy that’ll be in real life though 😂 fingers crossed the Nottingham open day will be insightful!!
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Baselevel)
Thank you, I appreciate that! Does the list have all the GEM courses ? I was under the impression there were more..
Those are the medical schools which have four year courses. There are of course ~35 medical schools in the UK and most if not all of them will accept graduate as applicants. But that would be for their five year courses.
nadman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
With a 2:1 degree you have a very good chance.

I spent the whole of last week emailing universities as i have a 2:2 and most of them declined me and simply insisted 2:1 is required.

I did try to emphasise that if someone got 2:1 in a subject like Business Management doesnt mean they would succeed in medicine as the latter is a course that would require a different level of commitment and focus (as well as the fact there is no classification in medicine e.g. first, 2:1, 2:2 etc).

My only hope was Plymouth as their emphasis is soley on the GAMSAT and Nottingham as they would accept 2:2.

Whilst I do understand where they are coming from sometimes I do think it is common for people to say, somewhat robotically, "requirements are requirements, rules are rules" without applying any common sense lol

laurenashton94 I will be attending the open day too on the 13th Oct. Have you received any details regarding this?
ConfusedGEM
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by nadman)
I did try to emphasise that if someone got 2:1 in a subject like Business Management doesnt mean they would succeed in medicine as the latter is a course that would require a different level of commitment and focus (as well as the fact there is no classification in medicine e.g. first, 2:1, 2:2 etc).
Ultimately it's a way of filtering people down. These courses get thousands of applicants for the handful of places they have for graduates. The majority of UK graduates have a 2:1 so it's unsurprising that that's the standard. It's just another filter, like asking for specific A-levels even with an obtained degree. Also, by your theory that would mean medical schools which accept any degree should start going down the line of actually not really accepting any degree.
xtragravity
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey
I'm applying for 2019 entry, just to the 4 year courses though (Nottingham, Swansea, St Georges and Kings). I found getting work experience REALLY difficult so the earlier you can start trying to get a foot in the door the better! I started volunteering at my local hospital last year but that took a long time to sort out. I think most hospitals will have some volunteering roles, but they might have more limited options that would suit you since you're working 9-5 (I'm quite lucky in that I do shift work). I managed to get shadowing experience by contacting the hospital HR department and asking who would be best to speak to (you might end up on a long trail here!) but eventually someone was able to help out. By this point I'd already had a disclosure check through the hospital for my volunteer work which I think made it easier to set up.
As for the GAMSAT, don't let the science section scare you too much. You're not going to need to know 'all the science' any more than you would need to have read everything that might come up in the verbal reasoning section. Focus more on getting familiar and gaining confidence in dealing with the problems and trying to get a more general understanding of the concepts. For section 2, write lots and lots of practice essays (simple yet effective!). For prep materials, the Griffiths review is pretty good as are the Des O'Neill practice papers.
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Choose the medical schools you're interested in and look at what admission test is required.

Usually:
UKCAT GEM schools want 700+
GAMSAT GEM schools want 62+

A 5 year choice is a good idea if you have the funding for it.
laurenjade24
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by nadman)
With a 2:1 degree you have a very good chance.

I spent the whole of last week emailing universities as i have a 2:2 and most of them declined me and simply insisted 2:1 is required.

My only hope was Plymouth as their emphasis is soley on the GAMSAT and Nottingham as they would accept 2:2.

Whilst I do understand where they are coming from sometimes I do think it is common for people to say, somewhat robotically, "requirements are requirements, rules are rules" without applying any common sense lol

laurenashton94 I will be attending the open day too on the 13th Oct. Have you received any details regarding this?
No I’m yet to receive any details on the open day (the GEM one for Nottingham is on the 6th October though? That’s the one I’m signed up for) hopefully in the next few weeks they’ll release some details of what’s happening on the day!
Baselevel
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. Some good advice here also!
nadman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ConfusedGEM)
Ultimately it's a way of filtering people down. These courses get thousands of applicants for the handful of places they have for graduates. The majority of UK graduates have a 2:1 so it's unsurprising that that's the standard. It's just another filter, like asking for specific A-levels even with an obtained degree. Also, by your theory that would mean medical schools which accept any degree should start going down the line of actually not really accepting any degree.
Well technically speaking this is the case for Plymouth. They rely solely on the GAMSAT result. Yes it will mean you need a higher score but the downside (for funding purposes) is that you go on a 5 year course.

laurenashton94 I thought it was the 13th and you have to sign up by email which I did and they promptly responded stating further details will be sent our in due course.
laurenjade24
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
nadman I believe you can sign up online or via email, I had previously been in contact with the University of Nottingham asking some questions about GEM so the lady I spoke too from Student Support Services signed me up to the open day. This is the response email I got from them so I’m not sure what the open day for the 13th October is for??

Thank you for registering an interest in our Graduate Entry Medicine open day on Saturday 6thOctober 2018.

You will receive more information about the event, closer to the time.“
Carinamaniaca
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
How much did all that cost?
(Original post by medhopeeful)
Hi everyone, If anyone needs some GAMSAT materials to purchase, PM me!

I have:
-GAMSAT Gold standard (2016-2017) text book with syllabus and all content to learn!
-Des O'Neill Revision guides for each section; S1, S2, S3
-Des O'Neill Question Books for each section
-ACER papers- purple and pink one- the latest ones!!
-ACER sample questions
-All MEDPREP papers
-GAMSAT Guru workbooks and questions for each section
-2016 Gold standard chemistry PBL questions
-aceGAMSAT exam mock
-aceGAMSAT questions
-aceGAMSAT essay bible- acing the essay section
-Gold standard exam
xtragravity
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi
I can't help with all of your questions I'm afraid, but if I get in I'll be 30 when the course starts so I understand the concern that it's a looong road ahead!
The UKCAT is only valid for one year so if you're applying next October then you'll sit that July-October 2019 (you can select which date you want to sit it and also reschedule it, but best to get it out of the way reasonably early!). You also get the results of that on the day, although you wont know the cut-off scores until the testing period ends and they see what everyone got.
For the GAMSAT, you get 2 years use out of your results and you'll need to sit the test before the October application deadline. You can sit it either in March or September so for 2020 entry you could sit it March 2019 or September 2019. You could even do both sittings if you wanted and use your highest score. The benefit of the March sitting is that you'll have your results before you actually apply so you can get a better idea of where to apply to. The downside is that there are only two UK test centres in March (Liverpool and London) so depending on where you live, that might not be suitable. You'll also have to weigh up if you want to take on March GAMSAT while you're still doing your degree or if you'd prefer to leave it until the summer. As far as prep materials go, I didn't get the gold standard book so I can't comment on how useful it is, but I don't think it would matter too much if you got a previous edition. I used the Griffiths review which I found pretty good, and also the Des O'Neill practice questions. The official materials you can buy when you sign up for the test are pretty good as well. One thing I would say is don't get too caught up in thinking you have to memorise large chunks of science. You'll find practice materials that require lots of knowledge...I found in the actual test that it was more a case of being familiar with the concepts and being able to work with the information that was given rather than using much factual recall. For section 2 prep, a low cost resource is something like the Guardian website, particularly the Opinion section. Read up on a wide variety of topics and set yourself essays to do. The more you practice, the easier it'll become to structure and sculpt your essays on the day.
blockocheese
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello!
I am looking some advice on applying to GEM, from people who have an arts degree or health professional degree and have sat the GAMSAT. How confident did you feel when applying? x
_lucylu
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello,

I am looking to apply for 2020 GEM. I intended to apply for 2019 entry but my UKCAT score was very poor. In the meantime, I will be working for sixteen months in a renal clinic on an apprenticeship programme. I intend to apply in 2020 hoping to take both the UKCAT and GAMSAT. The mistake I did was take my UKCAT late in September, which affected my options.
OsteoToMed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Lucylu: Similar story. Everything that could go wrong in my UKCAT went wrong despite having high practice scores, so didn't get the marks I wanted. So I'm looking at 2020 entry. Did you consider unis that didn't require a high UKCAT ? I am considering still looking at Bristol, despite being an undergrad program they consider the whole application with 20% weighting on UKCAT score.
_lucylu
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by OsteoToMed)
Lucylu: Similar story. Everything that could go wrong in my UKCAT went wrong despite having high practice scores, so didn't get the marks I wanted. So I'm looking at 2020 entry. Did you consider unis that didn't require a high UKCAT ? I am considering still looking at Bristol, despite being an undergrad program they consider the whole application with 20% weighting on UKCAT score.
Hi Osteotomed, sorry to hear that, I know the feeling. I will be applying for graduate entry medicine as I completed a degree in medicinal chemsitry. Funding will be a issue for me if I were to go for the 5 year programme.
Kentbiomedic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by OsteoToMed)
Hey, sorry to hear about your UKCAT not going how you wanted . Just thought I’d let you know that Bristol have changed their admissions process starting this cycle based on recommendations by the GMC - they are now a UKCAT heavy university and the PS weighting is a lot less. Wanted to make you aware so you didn’t waste one of your choices! X
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Olaejjeh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi guys,

I need your advice in my case.
I want to apply for Medicine Graduate Entry for 2020.
I have my secondary school qualification form Syria and it is equivalent to GCSEs without English and Maths and equal to As of A levels.
So I applied for foundation year and I am now a second year biomedical student.
I have noticed that some of the universities require A levels from students which I don’t have.

My questions are does anyone have a case like mine and Entered to Medicine graduate without considering A levels?
Would you recommend me to do A levels while studying at Uni?
And finally, Shall I take a placement year to guarantee my career in future? In case of not having a place in Medicine?

I will wait patiently for your answers and thank you all in advance
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SEP.1995
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi guys,
I see that I'm in the same situation as some of you on here.

I didn't preform very well the first time taking my A2's, and did the colossal mistake of retaking Chemistry, which means that I'm restricted on where I can apply!

I did the September 2018 GAMSAT and the UKCAT straight after - I guess you could say that both went shockingly bad (even though I haven't even got my marks for GAMSAT yet!)

I'm already looking at doing my GAMSAT in March 2019 because I don't want to be worrying about it over the summer, and it means it's out of the way when I come to do my UKCAT if I decide to do it.

I'm hoping to apply to Swansea and Nottingham as they both use GAMSAT, and also don't look at A levels; I'm just lucky that I loved both course programmes too. I just wish there were more GEM courses in the UK!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%