Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2020 Entry Watch

brotherblood123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by TeaganSavoy)
Hiya! Also looking to start in GEM in 2020. I'm just finishing by BA (Humanities subject and will probably get a 2:1) this year and will be starting an MSc (Humanities though some Med students may be on my course) this September. My GCSEs were good but my A-Levels leave much to be desired for and I come from a non-science background. I really want to get in at Nottingham as I already live up north and the area is beautiful.

My mother used to 'pester' me to give Medicine a go again after I initially gave up my dreams of studying medicine at 17. Found out about Graduate entry so here I am! I'm hoping to get some work experience between this summer and next summer, sit the GAMSAT next March (and retake in September if I do poo), save plenty of money.

Hope I can find some other people in the same boat as I, who do not have a science background and whose grades are not amazing. I have this constant fear of being rejected for not being good enough and the lack of non science background GEM entrant experiences is giving me a bit of a head ache. I'm just glad my family is mostly supportive of my plans!
Hi there, I am in a similar situation as well. I read law at undergraduate and got a strong Upper 2.1 and am currently studying my Masters in Law at King's College. My GCSEs were good but A-levels which were sciences were good at AS but not at A2. I am looking at GEM for 2020 entry but will be looking to do the UKCAT rather than the GAMSAT. Don't be put off, I am sure there are many individuals with similar circumstances that will be applying to GEM!
hopefulmedicccc
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by xtragravity)
Hi
I can't help with all of your questions I'm afraid, but if I get in I'll be 30 when the course starts so I understand the concern that it's a looong road ahead!
The UKCAT is only valid for one year so if you're applying next October then you'll sit that July-October 2019 (you can select which date you want to sit it and also reschedule it, but best to get it out of the way reasonably early!). You also get the results of that on the day, although you wont know the cut-off scores until the testing period ends and they see what everyone got.
For the GAMSAT, you get 2 years use out of your results and you'll need to sit the test before the October application deadline. You can sit it either in March or September so for 2020 entry you could sit it March 2019 or September 2019. You could even do both sittings if you wanted and use your highest score. The benefit of the March sitting is that you'll have your results before you actually apply so you can get a better idea of where to apply to. The downside is that there are only two UK test centres in March (Liverpool and London) so depending on where you live, that might not be suitable. You'll also have to weigh up if you want to take on March GAMSAT while you're still doing your degree or if you'd prefer to leave it until the summer. As far as prep materials go, I didn't get the gold standard book so I can't comment on how useful it is, but I don't think it would matter too much if you got a previous edition. I used the Griffiths review which I found pretty good, and also the Des O'Neill practice questions. The official materials you can buy when you sign up for the test are pretty good as well. One thing I would say is don't get too caught up in thinking you have to memorise large chunks of science. You'll find practice materials that require lots of knowledge...I found in the actual test that it was more a case of being familiar with the concepts and being able to work with the information that was given rather than using much factual recall. For section 2 prep, a low cost resource is something like the Guardian website, particularly the Opinion section. Read up on a wide variety of topics and set yourself essays to do. The more you practice, the easier it'll become to structure and sculpt your essays on the day.
For the March 2019 sitting there’s two test centres? Liverpool and London? I thought it was in Ireland?
fiterature
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi,

I think I'm in the same boat too! I did well on GCSEs (2006), sciences etc all A or A*, my only B was history. For as and a levels (2007-2008) I got AAB - spanish, English lit and biology. I got a c in chemistry as. I got a 2:1 in Spanish and Portuguese undergraduate degree (2013), then applied for nursing. I got an unconditional offer from king's but didn't take the place as I couldn't afford to fund myself. I then worked for a few years and last year did a master's in applied linguistics and communication (merit) whilst working my day job.

I'm now looking to apply for medicine but unsure of my options, I previously rang up a few unis who said I'd done too little science at as/a level to apply for a place but too much to apply for a foundation course. I believe entry requirements have changed a bit now so I'm trying my luck again!!

I'm struggling to find work experience, especially as I am still working full time and only have weekends free (would have more free weekends if all my friends weren't getting married or turning 30!). I have volunteered at age UK café and au paired for a child with learning difficulties and have unfortunately experienced a&e/hospice etc first hand due to family illness and death.

Is there anywhere you think would accept me, and is there anything I can do to strengthen my application - suggestions for experience would be very much appreciated!!

I would be looking to go to uni in 2020 or 2021, I would be nearly 32 if so. Would GAMSAT and UKCAT be too difficult for me? I haven't studied science for a while.. is it enough time to prepare for them, pass them & get the work experience to then apply in 2019 for 2020 entry?

Sorry for the rant..trying to type everything out in my lunch break haha.

Thanks in advance for your advice & comments 😀
mayflo77
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by fiterature)
Hi,

I think I'm in the same boat too! I did well on GCSEs (2006), sciences etc all A or A*, my only B was history. For as and a levels (2007-2008) I got AAB - spanish, English lit and biology. I got a c in chemistry as. I got a 2:1 in Spanish and Portuguese undergraduate degree (2013), then applied for nursing. I got an unconditional offer from king's but didn't take the place as I couldn't afford to fund myself. I then worked for a few years and last year did a master's in applied linguistics and communication (merit) whilst working my day job.

I'm now looking to apply for medicine but unsure of my options, I previously rang up a few unis who said I'd done too little science at as/a level to apply for a place but too much to apply for a foundation course. I believe entry requirements have changed a bit now so I'm trying my luck again!!

I'm struggling to find work experience, especially as I am still working full time and only have weekends free (would have more free weekends if all my friends weren't getting married or turning 30!). I have volunteered at age UK café and au paired for a child with learning difficulties and have unfortunately experienced a&e/hospice etc first hand due to family illness and death.

Is there anywhere you think would accept me, and is there anything I can do to strengthen my application - suggestions for experience would be very much appreciated!!

I would be looking to go to uni in 2020 or 2021, I would be nearly 32 if so. Would GAMSAT and UKCAT be too difficult for me? I haven't studied science for a while.. is it enough time to prepare for them, pass them & get the work experience to then apply in 2019 for 2020 entry?

Hi! My case is very similar to yours! Due to completing my secondary education in a very different educational system, I do not have A levels in science which limits me to Warwick University as both my undergraduate and postgraduate degrees are in languages and linguistics. In terms of work experience, I encourage you to keep trying. I currently volunteer in a care home and will start volunteering in my local hospital very soon. It was fairly easy to obtain the care home role, but it's been very difficult with the hospital. I've started the process at the end of July!You're never too old to pursue a dream! Or at least that is what I keep telling myself; my mum thinks I am crazy for wanting to make my life considerably more difficult than it currently is. On that note, I have taken the UKCAT this year as a trial; the tasks themselves are not difficult, but the imposed time limit is a killer. GAMSAT seems to be very difficult; however, I am sure it is feasible. But, as I said above, I am limited to Warwick so it'll have to be UKCAT for me.
fiterature
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mayflo77)
Hi! My case is very similar to yours! Due to completing my secondary education in a very different educational system, I do not have A levels in science which limits me to Warwick University as both my undergraduate and postgraduate degrees are in languages and linguistics. In terms of work experience, I encourage you to keep trying. I currently volunteer in a care home and will start volunteering in my local hospital very soon. It was fairly easy to obtain the care home role, but it's been very difficult with the hospital. I've started the process at the end of July!You're never too old to pursue a dream! Or at least that is what I keep telling myself; my mum thinks I am crazy for wanting to make my life considerably more difficult than it currently is. On that note, I have taken the UKCAT this year as a trial; the tasks themselves are not difficult, but the imposed time limit is a killer. GAMSAT seems to be very difficult; however, I am sure it is feasible. But, as I said above, I am limited to Warwick so it'll have to be UKCAT for me.
Wow, small world that we both did very similar degrees! I know one guy who did the same degree as me and is now in his final year of medicine...so I guess it must be doable to a certain degree (no pun intended). How come it's only Warwick that's available to you - isn't St George's in London also available? Are you hoping to stay out of London (I'm currently here and it'd be great if I didn't have to move my bf and myself away from our cheapish flat and good location and all his friends..)
mayflo77
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Wow, small world that we both did very similar degrees! I know one guy who did the same degree as me and is now in his final year of medicine...so I guess it must be doable to a certain degree (no pun intended). How come it's only Warwick that's available to you - isn't St George's in London also available? Are you hoping to stay out of London (I'm currently here and it'd be great if I didn't have to move my bf and myself away from our cheapish flat and good location and all his friends..)
I am definitely staying away from London! Moving would be way too expensive and I wouldn't be the only one affected. Nottingham & Birmingham both have GEM programmes, but they have requirements that I do not meet (i.e. science degree or science A levels). So my only hope is Warwick, but that UKCAT definitely scares me. ... still seems easier than GAMSAT though.
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mayflo77)
I am definitely staying away from London! Moving would be way too expensive and I wouldn't be the only one affected. Nottingham & Birmingham both have GEM programmes, but they have requirements that I do not meet (i.e. science degree or science A levels). So my only hope is Warwick, but that UKCAT definitely scares me. ... still seems easier than GAMSAT though.
Might want to double check Nottingham's requirements.
theMSAG
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi,

Dear fiterature,

I appreciate this sounds like a stressful situation. I am Dibah, the founder of the Medical School Application Guide. I myself did graduate entry medicine at Nottingham and was looking at the time for schools that did not put too much emphasis on A-level in their requirements. SInce then I wrote a guidebook to help people get into graduate entry medicine but more importantly, I have personally helped 100s of applicants get in so I can reassure you and say that there have been many students in your situations that successfully got in.

Looking at what you wrote, there are 2 things I would recommend you need. One is definitely work experience. As a graduate students it is often even more expected than an undergraduate. Warwick for example have a minimum requirements of 2 weeks work experience to apply for graduates and they would be a good option for you as they don't look at A levels. You can see that here: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/med/st...ryreqs#workexp

Finding work experience is not optional in your situation I think so this may mean taking a week off twice to do it, using your holidays to do it, or finding a GP practice that works on saturdays and lets you come every saturday for example.

The second advice I have is for the exam prep. At the moment - yes you still have enough time to prepare but that depends on how much time you can allocate per week, per month preparing. The GAMSAT - you should write in March. This means you'll have your result before applying and you ll know already if you have good chances in the GAMSAT schools before doing the UKCAT. Also it means if you dont do well you get another chance in September. It is a lot of work to prepare but nothing unachievable over the time frame you have if you can commit enough time regularly. I'd suggest buying the official GAMSAT booklet in the acer website to start with.

For the UKCAT - I'd start the prep from April onwards, once you have finished with the GAMSAT.

You may also find our blog post on how to stand out in graduate entry medicine helpful.

From what you wrote you application seems fine.. it's just a question of committing the time for the work experience and the exam prep in your overall plan. Hope this helps and reassures you there are definitely a fair number of medical school in the UK that would consider your profile favorably. Let me know if you have any further questions, take care Dibah
thatcooldude2.0
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi guys! I'm also applying for GEM next year!
My stats are:
Gcses: 6A*s 4As
A-levels: AABBDD
And I'm currently studying Medical Sciences
Any suggestions on which unis to go for?
I really wanted to go for Oxford but my A levels aren't that good I think
fiterature
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm finding it really hard to get anywhere with clinical experience - all the hospitals I can find are only accepting people who are between 16-19 years old.

I'm 28, soon to be 29! Does anybody have any tips?

Thanks in advance
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm finding it really hard to get anywhere with clinical experience - all the hospitals I can find are only accepting people who are between 16-19 years old.

I'm 28, soon to be 29! Does anybody have any tips?

Thanks in advance
Avoid the schemes that are targeted at school students applying for medicine.

Consider:
Hospices
Volunteer depatment of local hospitals
Volunteer department of your local NHS trusts
Get a job such as an HCA, phlebotomist, TSW (i.e. NHS jobs website)
fiterature
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Avoid the schemes that are targeted at school students applying for medicine.

Consider:
Hospices
Volunteer depatment of local hospitals
Volunteer department of your local NHS trusts
Get a job such as an HCA, phlebotomist, TSW (i.e. NHS jobs website)
Thanks for your speedy reply! I am currently in full time work, so trying to use my evenings/weekends/volunteer leave (2 days until April and then I get 2 more).

I may have to see what I can get and then book some unpaid leave to get some experience maybe!
MyGEMJourney
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Here I am again 😅 Didn’t manage to sit the last GAMSAT, had some personal issues come up. Is anyone else feeling horrifically intimidated by the GAMSAT? I feel like I don’t know where to start.

I don’t feel so bad about the UKCAT but the GAMSAT seems absolutely brutal (I suppose that’s the point)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by MyGEMJourney; 9 months ago
cocoabeaneo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hii everyone,I'm also applying for GEM 2020 entry and I'm currently studying biomed. Initially I wanted to go for UKCAT unis only, but i've found that my options are limited because I didn't do so well in my A-levels and can't afford living expenses in London. So now I'm considering taking the GAMSAT in March but don't know if this is enough time to prepare alongside uni/exams and getting work experience? How much time are you guys spending per week preparing for it?Also I was wondering if anyone can reccommend good GAMSAT resources ? Thanks )
_lucylu
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi cocoabeaneo,

I'm also looking to take the gamsat in march next year. In terms of preparing you do need a bit of time. I'm also in the same boat as you, but I'm working full time in a hospital as oppose to studying. Seeing you are studying biomedical science, that should provide some advantage in tackling the biology side and possibly the chemistry part of section 3 to an extent

In terms of preparation time, I would gauge this on how you feel, have you had time to look at the practise questions on the gamsat website (I believe you will have to purchase this) by having a look you can gauge how much time you will need and whether you would have enough time alongside your studies, but I feel this depends entirely on you.

The revision materials I would recommend (what I've found useful) are the
-des o Neil packs for science humanitarian and essay writing
- griffinths review booklet (purchased on his website )
- a levels physics books or physics for dummies
- chemistry/ biology a level textbook
- talks on ted talks may help with tackling the essay questions
- reading reputable news sites daily
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
nadman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi All,

Am stuck in a dilemma.

I got a 2:2 in a degree (well the percentage on my degree transcript equates to 2:2) however my degree says I followed a BSc Honours and got an ordinary degree.

This happened as I messed up one exam.

I was made to resit it as a coursework and was told would need to get 60% to pass it but the max mark I could get would be 40% if that makes sense.

I attended 1 to 1 sessions with the tutor and was told what needs tobe covered in the coursework. I did all I was told yet I missed out on the 60% by few marks....

Now, our course was small and there was another ethnic minority student. Who in fact was a first class student who was on the path to get a first or a very strong 2:1.

Strangely she got an ordinary degree too.

Now when you are young 20 year olds you're not always wise or awake to racial discrimination or profiling.

It is somewhat strange that both ethnic minority students got ordinary degrees.

Recently there has been articles in the news that THERE IS such discrimination in Unis.

Now, since I didn't get a 2:2 / Honrs I cannot do the GEM.

I have been told I should do a Masters or Phd to make my application stronger or apply to Warwick.

HOWEVER, I cannot do this either as all post graduate courses WANT an Honrs degree.

What do I do in this position?

The course I studied was discontinued a year after I finished uni in 2012.
Last edited by nadman; 9 months ago
badhand45
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey guys I am applying to GEM in 2020 too, I can only apply to GAMSAT unis as I got bad A levels (Had significant illness during GCSEs and A levels and eventually got a liver transplant. Anyway because I missed 3/4 of my AS year I got passing grades to do A2, however 3 weeks in i got my transplant and had to take year off. Because I started that year I technically did 3 years and all but one medical school wont allow me to apply. My college wouldnt let me do A2 chemistry exam even though id done content so i came out with D* in a BTEC in 3 months, B in history and C in biology (As and Bs in exam but E in coursework) Im currently on the BSc Clinical Sciences programme and got an interview to transfer to second year at Leeds but was really ill so didnt get in despite getting an 80% average. Ive emailed a few medical schools who either wont consider me or want me to resit all my A levels during my Third year. Does anyone know medical schools which might consider my circumstances. Also I cant do the ukcat which is helpful.
Thanks in advance
tnr001
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Applying for GEM in 2020. I sat the UKCAT in September with no practice just to get a rough baseline of where I'm at with no practice (I had planned on practising but got way too busy with work). Got an average of 640 so way too low so alongside teaching myself AS biology and chemistry to sit in May I'll also be doing a lot of UKCAT practice over the next year to get a UKCAT score good enough for Newcastle which is my top choice.

Will also be applying to Barts, Southampton and Warwick. I didn't do a science degree (2:1 in Economics and Management at Oxford) so my choices are limited and I ideally don't want to do the GAMSAT as I will do terribly at it. Other stats are AAAB at A level, 6A*,3A,1B at GCSE. Currently volunteering in A&E in a major trauma centre which is very interesting so far and will also be volunteering in a ward starting after christmas.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to massively improve my UKCAT score with enough practice.
Shika222
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi all! I graduate from the University of Manchester in the summer with a BSc in Chemistry. I'm currently averaging a very healthy first so (unless something goes wrong!) I hope that's what my final degree classification will be. Even though I am already 25, I have decided to delay applying to Medical School until next autumn so I can spend a solid 6 months between graduating and applying doing work experience and preparing for the entrance exams. This means I would potentially start in 2020.

From my research so far, I really like the look of Nottingham, Warwick and Newcastle, although tbh I'd happily accept a place anywhere if it meant getting in!
SummerPi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi!

I'm absolutely set on applying to medicine in 2019.

I graduated this year with a 2.1 in MEng (integrated masters') Computer Science from The University of Warwick. Since then I have been working in a CAMHS eating disorder hospital and am really enjoying it. My A-Levels are A*A*A in Maths, Computing and Further Maths (so no Chemistry or Biology).

I went to the Swansea open day and bought the Gold Standard GAMSAT textbook thinking I was going to do that and it would all be fine and I could go to either Nottingham or Swansea but I'm struggling so much with it, especially working a full time job

I know Warwick will (hopefully) take me back with the correct levels of work experience, the UKCAT and passing the interview... and this really just seems like the easier option. But I'd ideally like to go to a new uni and I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket! Do no other programmes (graduate or not) have similar requirements to Warwick (no GAMSAT, no chemistry A-Level?). I'd ideally like to do a 4 year programme but I wouldn't mind a 5 year one.

Or should I persevere with the GAMSAT? Even though I feel like I don't even know where to start...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%