Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2020 Entry Watch

GEM_2019
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SummerPi)
Hi!

I'm absolutely set on applying to medicine in 2019.

I graduated this year with a 2.1 in MEng (integrated masters') Computer Science from The University of Warwick. Since then I have been working in a CAMHS eating disorder hospital and am really enjoying it. My A-Levels are A*A*A in Maths, Computing and Further Maths (so no Chemistry or Biology).

I went to the Swansea open day and bought the Gold Standard GAMSAT textbook thinking I was going to do that and it would all be fine and I could go to either Nottingham or Swansea but I'm struggling so much with it, especially working a full time job

I know Warwick will (hopefully) take me back with the correct levels of work experience, the UKCAT and passing the interview... and this really just seems like the easier option. But I'd ideally like to go to a new uni and I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket! Do no other programmes (graduate or not) have similar requirements to Warwick (no GAMSAT, no chemistry A-Level?). I'd ideally like to do a 4 year programme but I wouldn't mind a 5 year one.

Or should I persevere with the GAMSAT? Even though I feel like I don't even know where to start...
Hello,

I completely understand - I originally was going to do GAMSAT but couldn't face it with working full time and fitting in work experience etc.

Have you looked at Newcastle? Their only other requirement is academic study within the past 3 years but it looks like you'll meet that. You will need to smash the UKCAT though!

If you're willing to take AS or A levels in Bio/Chem it also opens up QMUL and Southampton (this is what I am doing - you can apply with these qualifications pending).

Sorry I don't know about 5 year courses as it was never an option for me due to funding.

I hope this helps!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi!

I'm absolutely set on applying to medicine in 2019.

I graduated this year with a 2.1 in MEng (integrated masters' Computer Science from The University of Warwick. Since then I have been working in a CAMHS eating disorder hospital and am really enjoying it. My A-Levels are A*A*A in Maths, Computing and Further Maths (so no Chemistry or Biology).

I went to the Swansea open day and bought the Gold Standard GAMSAT textbook thinking I was going to do that and it would all be fine and I could go to either Nottingham or Swansea but I'm struggling so much with it, especially working a full time job

I know Warwick will (hopefully) take me back with the correct levels of work experience, the UKCAT and passing the interview... and this really just seems like the easier option. But I'd ideally like to go to a new uni and I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket! Do no other programmes (graduate or not) have similar requirements to Warwick (no GAMSAT, no chemistry A-Level?). I'd ideally like to do a 4 year programme but I wouldn't mind a 5 year one.

Or should I persevere with the GAMSAT? Even though I feel like I don't even know where to start...
Have you had a look in the Medical Schools and Medicine forums. This questions has been asked countless times and answered, and you should find it a very good resource.
SummerPi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by GEM_2019)

If you're willing to take AS or A levels in Bio/Chem it also opens up QMUL and Southampton (this is what I am doing - you can apply with these qualifications pending).
I did think about this! Are you self-teaching? And how are you going about taking the practicals?
GEM_2019
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did think about this! Are you self-teaching? And how are you going about taking the practicals?
Yes I'm self teaching and I'm taking both AS Biology and AS Chemistry as opposed to a full A level in either - this meets the requirements and there is no practical element to the AS.

The only thing is it is now a standalone qualification (as in you can't later decide to top it up by doing the A2 and getting the full A level).

Sorry if that's obvious to you - I'm old and things have changed ha.
SummerPi
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by GEM_2019)
Yes I'm self teaching and I'm taking both AS Biology and AS Chemistry as opposed to a full A level in either - this meets the requirements and there is no practical element to the AS.

The only thing is it is now a standalone qualification (as in you can't later decide to top it up by doing the A2 and getting the full A level).

Sorry if that's obvious to you - I'm old and things have changed ha.
Oh amazing! Nope, not obvious at all. I thought both the AS and A2 had practical elements as I did AQA Physics AS back in 2012 and remember being assessed in practicals.

What exam board(s) are you doing?

After chatting to some people today though I'm thinking I should just do the GAMSAT haha... I have no idea I did love Swansea when I went to the open day and the only way to get there is the GAMSAT
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Oh amazing! Nope, not obvious at all. I thought both the AS and A2 had practical elements as I did AQA Physics AS back in 2012 and remember being assessed in practicals.

What exam board(s) are you doing?

After chatting to some people today though I'm thinking I should just do the GAMSAT haha... I have no idea I did love Swansea when I went to the open day and the only way to get there is the GAMSAT
Others may disagree with me but imo writing off doing the GAMSAT isn't a smart move. Yes its hard to study for especially when you have a job, but you have until next March or next September. If you don't have the asked science A-levels at basically A grade, the two non-admissions exam medical schools are a no go for you. If you do 'badly' in the UKCAT, that will write off all the UKCAT GEM programmes, even if the score may actually be good enough for standard entry. Having a GAMSAT score gives you the medical schools which (mostly) will give you an interview if you get the minimum degree grade and get above their cutoff.

The GAMSAT isn't impossible. It's hard and you may need to take it a few times but it gives you more options which is what we all need with such a competitive course, especially with the fact that many people won't be eligible for all the GEM programmes available. If you can (and I think it's possible with time management and sticking to a schedule) I recommend you do it. And remember that if you do well in it but get no offers in one cycle, it lasts for two years.
Last edited by Royal Oak; 9 months ago
SummerPi
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Others may disagree with me but imo writing off doing the GAMSAT isn't a smart move.
I actually totally agree with you. After a long, hard think today I've realised that I will take the GAMSAT and UKCAT, no extra A-Levels, and apply to Swansea, Nottingham, Warwick and either Newcastle or St George's in 2019. I hope that sounds sensible Thank you for your advice.
tnr001
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm self-teaching AS so that I don't have to shell out insane amounts of money for the practicals. Then that meets both Southampton and Barts requirements. You need to do both bio and chem though if you do AS.
AnabelBlu
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mrstlc13)
Hi everyone, this is my first post on TSR, so please be gentle with me.

I know, I'm well in advance here, but I'm a mature student currently partaking in an Open Uni Natural Sciences Degree with a heavy biology part..... My degree title will be BSc Natural Sciences-Biology.

Basically, although academically bright, I didn't do well with my A levels as I was suffering through a huge bout of depression at the time (2007-2008) and went trough a self destructive phase, but my dream has always been medicine.
After having my two children, I decided to try and pursue the dream and started doing the above mentioned degree in 2015....I am expected to graduate in Aug 2020..... I'm aiming for a 1st, and have no reason to suspect I'll get anything less.
So, now, I'm battling through this degree and looking at Med schools for GEM, looking at the current and previous year entry points and have narrowed it down to 5 that will accept students based purely on academic results at degree and don't include A level (obviously interview, work experience, GAMSAT or BMAT or UKCAT withstanding).

After totally botching up my A-levels 10 years ago, I am absolutely determined to flourish as I should have done in order to get a place for GEM, which means I'm studying and planning everything in advance (literally talking 3 year plans now), to try and succeed.

My questions are:
-Will doing a degree with the OU have a negative impact on my application, even if I end up with a 1st? (I know for instance with the Imperial C London, they require a checklist to be completed and signed to say that the required topics have been studied etc)
-When should I be sitting the UKCAT, GAMSAT and BMAT? If I apply by October 2019 deadline, do I sit the exams in the Summer of 2019? Or by the summer of 2019? As I think the GAMSAT/ BMAT results don't come back until after the October 2019 application deadline?
-Is it too early to buy the GAMSAT gold books? Is each edition only relevant to the year you plan to test? Or will I find it beneficial to order previous year textbooks? I'm just cringing at the £200 price tag and will buy it if it helps, but if its pointless until the actual test year, its an awful lot of money to throw away.
-Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me and been successful? Am i doing this OU degree with absolutely zero hope of making it into medicine? Bearing in mind that I'll be 31 by the time my course starts, so haven't exactly got loads of time on my hands, particularly if I choose to go down a surgical route..... It would be nice to make consultant before I'm due to retire

I'm sorry for the complicated post, I'm just feeling a little panicked that I won't make it
(Original post by mrstlc13)
Hi everyone, this is my first post on TSR, so please be gentle with me.

I know, I'm well in advance here, but I'm a mature student currently partaking in an Open Uni Natural Sciences Degree with a heavy biology part..... My degree title will be BSc Natural Sciences-Biology.

Basically, although academically bright, I didn't do well with my A levels as I was suffering through a huge bout of depression at the time (2007-2008) and went trough a self destructive phase, but my dream has always been medicine.
After having my two children, I decided to try and pursue the dream and started doing the above mentioned degree in 2015....I am expected to graduate in Aug 2020..... I'm aiming for a 1st, and have no reason to suspect I'll get anything less.
So, now, I'm battling through this degree and looking at Med schools for GEM, looking at the current and previous year entry points and have narrowed it down to 5 that will accept students based purely on academic results at degree and don't include A level (obviously interview, work experience, GAMSAT or BMAT or UKCAT withstanding).

After totally botching up my A-levels 10 years ago, I am absolutely determined to flourish as I should have done in order to get a place for GEM, which means I'm studying and planning everything in advance (literally talking 3 year plans now), to try and succeed.

My questions are:
-Will doing a degree with the OU have a negative impact on my application, even if I end up with a 1st? (I know for instance with the Imperial C London, they require a checklist to be completed and signed to say that the required topics have been studied etc)
-When should I be sitting the UKCAT, GAMSAT and BMAT? If I apply by October 2019 deadline, do I sit the exams in the Summer of 2019? Or by the summer of 2019? As I think the GAMSAT/ BMAT results don't come back until after the October 2019 application deadline?
-Is it too early to buy the GAMSAT gold books? Is each edition only relevant to the year you plan to test? Or will I find it beneficial to order previous year textbooks? I'm just cringing at the £200 price tag and will buy it if it helps, but if its pointless until the actual test year, its an awful lot of money to throw away.
-Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me and been successful? Am i doing this OU degree with absolutely zero hope of making it into medicine? Bearing in mind that I'll be 31 by the time my course starts, so haven't exactly got loads of time on my hands, particularly if I choose to go down a surgical route..... It would be nice to make consultant before I'm due to retire

I'm sorry for the complicated post, I'm just feeling a little panicked that I won't make it
Wow your story is inspirational it really motivated me so thanks for that!

First of all I don't think getting your degree from the OU will make any difference or in fact it could even be an advantage. My research on the subject leads me to believe that once you've got a 2:1 theyre really looking more at your gamsat or ukcat results. In some med schools that's the only thing that decides if you get an interview or not. If they did look at your university I think there is no disadvantage to the OU it has a reputation for high standards and if you get a 2:1 or above it will show how organised & determined you are to combine it with your children etc.

Regarding books I don't think it's too early to get them and start preparing but to be honest I wouldn't bother with Gamsat Gold, I got them and for the most part felt that they are very over priced, most of what's in them you can get from normal science text books and you're doing a science heavy degree anyway. Check out Griffiths Gamsat Review, it's much more reasonably priced and focuses more on strategies for answering the questions in all 3 sections, how to write the essays, what to study for the science etc. I found it to be the best thing I bought for my gamsat prep.

For UKCAT I've started going through 1250 UKCAT Practice Questions by Oliver Picard which seems to be pretty good also.

Best of luck!
BethyO
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I’ve started planning my 2020 application today! I have no faith in this year’s cycle and am just expecting to get rejected lol:sad:
marnalarn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by BethyO)
I’ve started planning my 2020 application today! I have no faith in this year’s cycle and am just expecting to get rejected lol:sad:
How have you starting planning? Any tips?
BethyO
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by marnalarn)
How have you starting planning? Any tips?
Just making a wish list of things I’d like to experience (like shadowing some different specialties), try to change jobs, do the UKCAT early...etc. I’m debating whether to do the GAMSAT but I just feel like it’s added stress I don’t need!
grangran1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey everyone,

I am looking to sit the Gamsat in March 2019 for 2020 entry at Nottingham. I am a fully qualified Healthcare Professional with a first class degree in Diagnostic Radiography. My A levels were Maths: A Biology: B and Applied Business: B. Assuming I do well in the Gamsat (60+), what are my chances of getting an interview? And would I require any addition work experience despite already working full time in an NHS trust?

Cheers.
feyi123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hiiiiii !!

GEM 2019 applicant here - my faith is ever dwindling in even getting an interview this year.

gcses were decent - 5 A*s, 2 As and 3BS but my A-levels were awful - BBC in Bio, Eng Lit and Chem respectively. my degree is going good - in my final year studying biomed with a 70% av in 1st year and 78% av in 2nd. i have done around 140 hours of volunteering in my 1st year in a hospice and a haematology and oncology ward and a hospital local to my uni.

the tragedy came in my ukcat and bmat - 635 band 3 and 4.2, 3.8 and 3.5A royally threw my application to the wind. as of today i have a nice rejection from kings undergrad and oxford under my wings and am oh-so-hopefully awaiting a response from leeds undergrad and qmul. maybe, God-willing I might get in this year, but my dream is at kings. i am also president at a society at uni so i guess that strengthens my application and sets me apart from the almost clone like ncs and d of e applicants (dw i fell into that trap at secondary as well).

the plan is to actually prepare for my ukcat and bmat next year (and maybe not procastinate all summer) as to not screw myself over YET again. right now, i am looking to apply to:

kings

imperial

qmul

oxford

i also hope the year out at uni will give me time to financially prepare myself for another 4 years of debt. i am not too fussed about the time as i will start when i am 22 so i guess its not the end of the world. i am hoping to be a hca of some sorts but have absolutely no healthcare experience - this is where i need help. any ideas ???
Zitrixfrost
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hello everyone,

I'm physiotherapist who's planning to do the GEM in 2020. I was wondering if there are any current health professionals thinking of doing the same and how you're going to tailor your personal statement to match your experience and desire to study medicine.

My main worry is that my examples will be framed from a physio perspective of patient contact even though I work closely with the medical team. Would any of you suggest shadowing the medics or seek to do more work experience in a community setting?

Are there any other medical professionals thinking about doing GEM? What are your hopes, dreams, worries or fears?
physiogradmed
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Zitrixfrost)
Hello everyone,

I'm physiotherapist who's planning to do the GEM in 2020. I was wondering if there are any current health professionals thinking of doing the same and how you're going to tailor your personal statement to match your experience and desire to study medicine.

My main worry is that my examples will be framed from a physio perspective of patient contact even though I work closely with the medical team. Would any of you suggest shadowing the medics or seek to do more work experience in a community setting?

Are there any other medical professionals thinking about doing GEM? What are your hopes, dreams, worries or fears?
Hi, I’m also a physio hoping to apply to GEM in 2020. I’m still not sure how I’m going to tailor my personal statement or where exactly I want to apply yet but I personally would prefer to apply to UKCAT only universities but I think I’m going to do my UKCAT and get the score before I decide 100% as I may end up needing to do GAMSAT too. I’m mainly worried that I won’t get in and about telling my manager that I need a reference, though I’m sure they will be happy to do one... it’s just a bit awkward. I’m also worried that if I don’t get in that I won’t have as many opportunities within my trust as a physio as they will know that Inam trying to get into medical school.

Have you thought about where you might apply yet?
gracephoebe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi,

Long story short I didn’t do as well in my a levels as I probably could’ve because of family stuff so I didn’t end up going to the uni that I wanted. However, I’m working extra hard now and doing well in my undergrad and after doing placements, work experience and volunteering in hospitals I am really interested in medicine. I just don’t know whether I’m good enough to do it especially since not properly studying science since GCSE and all the stress that comes with medicine. It’s just one of those things that I feel I will always question if I don’t try it, does anyone else have experience doing GEM with a psych degree?

Thank you!
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by gracephoebe)
Hi,

Long story short I didn’t do as well in my a levels as I probably could’ve because of family stuff so I didn’t end up going to the uni that I wanted. However, I’m working extra hard now and doing well in my undergrad and after doing placements, work experience and volunteering in hospitals I am really interested in medicine. I just don’t know whether I’m good enough to do it especially since not properly studying science since GCSE and all the stress that comes with medicine. It’s just one of those things that I feel I will always question if I don’t try it, does anyone else have experience doing GEM with a psych degree?

Thank you!
Plenty of people will have. But it's a hard path to go down and expensive one depending on how you go about it. Whether you're 'good enough' nobody can tell you, same goes for how you'll handle the stress. But if you're worried about the lack of a hard science background, plenty of people go into graduate entry medicine having studied arts degrees and having completely unrelated careers and do just fine.
gracephoebe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I think what worries me is the tests like GAMSAT and my science knowledge for them but I guess if arts graduates haven’t had a lot of science since potentially GCSE I could be okay.
Zitrixfrost
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by physiogradmed)
Hi, I’m also a physio hoping to apply to GEM in 2020. I’m still not sure how I’m going to tailor my personal statement or where exactly I want to apply yet but I personally would prefer to apply to UKCAT only universities but I think I’m going to do my UKCAT and get the score before I decide 100% as I may end up needing to do GAMSAT too. I’m mainly worried that I won’t get in and about telling my manager that I need a reference, though I’m sure they will be happy to do one... it’s just a bit awkward. I’m also worried that if I don’t get in that I won’t have as many opportunities within my trust as a physio as they will know that Inam trying to get into medical school.

Have you thought about where you might apply yet?
Hey! It's good to meet you. Its difficult breaching that conversation with the rest of the team. I'm hoping to ask a member of my current MDT to write my reference, though it depends if you work with the medical teams in your job.

Regarding opportunities, I agree wih your point. It does feel unfair to lead your team on a false pretence ton vest the time in you with training or whatever. But at the same time, you will need these skills to enhance your practice as a physio or a doctor, even if you are looking to move up a band. I would argue that you would both benefit from giving you more opportunities.

I'm limited to London unis atm so it will be kings (alma mater) and st georges. I haven't got a chemistry a level so im planning on doing it over the next year. That way, it should improve my scope to barts and may allow me to get into the 5 year course, if all fails.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%