The Student Room Group

Difficult circumstances. Should I take a gap year?

Hello TSR,

After remarking 2 of my papers, my A-level grades are now A*A*AB(History, Philosophy and Ethics, Polish, Politics). Unfortunately, I missed out on my first choice University(KCL) and have been accepted by Exeter(insurance) to study law.

However, it has always been my dream to study at Oxford and I think that with these grades and an entire year of preparation I would have a very good chance but I do now know how Oxford treats undergraduate applicants who have taken a gap year.

My parents are in a bad place financially at the moment too and have said that if I stayed at home for another year and worked it would help them out a lot and put them in a position where they could help me financially while I was at Uni. Something which they would be currently unable to do if I decide to attend Exeter.

Also, am I correct in thinking that the top law Universities in the country(LSE, UCL, Durham) would offer me an unconditional offer with my grades as long as my LNAT is strong?

Thank you for any advice.
Universities do not look down on students taking a gap year, on the condition that your gap year is productive or is useful to your degree? Did you work? Did you study anything which will aid your degree?

If you can show in your personal statement why taking a gap year has benefited you it could be an advantage in fact, like I said it must have had use to you and it must be productive!

This will give you a better position for your parents too hopefully. And regarding your LNAT a strong score really stands out, so a way to get ahead is with a strong LNAT score.

Good luck
Original post by Vesania
Hello TSR,

After remarking 2 of my papers, my A-level grades are now A*A*AB(History, Philosophy and Ethics, Polish, Politics). Unfortunately, I missed out on my first choice University(KCL) and have been accepted by Exeter(insurance) to study law.

However, it has always been my dream to study at Oxford and I think that with these grades and an entire year of preparation I would have a very good chance but I do now know how Oxford treats undergraduate applicants who have taken a gap year.

My parents are in a bad place financially at the moment too and have said that if I stayed at home for another year and worked it would help them out a lot and put them in a position where they could help me financially while I was at Uni. Something which they would be currently unable to do if I decide to attend Exeter.

Also, am I correct in thinking that the top law Universities in the country(LSE, UCL, Durham) would offer me an unconditional offer with my grades as long as my LNAT is strong?

Thank you for any advice.

Exeter is already a very respectable university for law, but if Oxford is a dream and your family's circumstances dictate that you helping by working for a year would assist them, then there would appear to be no downside to you taking a year out and reapplying for law 2018.

Nobody will be able to make you any promises about whether you will receive unconditional offers, but it is certainly worth a try, and it seems likely that you should receive something. The same rules apply though - make sure that at least one of your choices is a university that you feel certain will make you an offer, rather than 5 chancy applications.
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies, I would definitely make sure my gap year was productive by doing any volunteer work and work experience around law I could. This is one of the most difficult decisions I've had to take in life so far but I feel like if I took a gap year I wouldn't have much to regret whereas if I do not try I'll never if I could have gotten in.
Reply 4
As far as I'm aware, Oxford is fine with gap years as long as it's not for Maths (and sometimes languages), so you should be fine. I think you should go for it - no harm done, and, like you say, if you don't you may always wonder "What if?" Even better - it will put you in a better position financially which will probably make uni a less stressful time for you. Worst case scenario, you end up back at Exeter or another similar uni, which is still a great scenario to find yourself in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending