The Student Room Group

Could my school have done more to help with my dyslexia?

I'm quite Dyslexic, and in exams I am meant to get extra time, a reader and a laptop when doing exams, at GCSE I got put in a separate room with a personal reader who sat with me the whole time and read out every question, at AS I was in the main hall and there was 1 reader for everyone who needed it and we had to put our hand up to ask for her, I did well at GCSEs and despite working very hard for my AS' I got very bad grades. Could this be because of the different treatment from my new school? And if so is there anything we can do to try and get the help I need?

P.S. I am good the subjects I'm doing ( Maths and Further Maths ) in lessons I understand everything and get it right, so it isn't that I'm not good at the subject.
Reply 1
Original post by Applepop
I'm quite Dyslexic, and in exams I am meant to get extra time, a reader and a laptop when doing exams, at GCSE I got put in a separate room with a personal reader who sat with me the whole time and read out every question, at AS I was in the main hall and there was 1 reader for everyone who needed it and we had to put our hand up to ask for her, I did well at GCSEs and despite working very hard for my AS' I got very bad grades. Could this be because of the different treatment from my new school? And if so is there anything we can do to try and get the help I need?

P.S. I am good the subjects I'm doing ( Maths and Further Maths ) in lessons I understand everything and get it right, so it isn't that I'm not good at the subject.

You could try asking for more support, don't be scared about it. The school will be able to explain to you their policies and might be able to give you some extra help
Reply 2
You don't necessarily qualify for the same access arrangements in all exams - e.g. you might need something where there is extended writing but not for Maths. You're only allowed a reader or laptop in exams if you have one as your normal way of working in school for those subjects. If you need this then you need to take it up with your school generally, not just for exams. If you were given a reader and laptop in GCSEs but didn't normally have one then your school was, technically, cheating.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest