Student Bank Accounts

Watch
lucyclarkie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, I'm looking into opening a student bank account but am not sure if it's worth it or not? Other than the freebies and the overdraft, is there much point? Thank you!
Aztec Chic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lucyclarkie)
Hello, I'm looking into opening a student bank account but am not sure if it's worth it or not? Other than the freebies and the overdraft, is there much point? Thank you!
I suppose if you don't need any extra money or the freebies aren't that much use to you then no. I guess it's good to have it there as back up especially incase of any unexpected costs
Northolt999
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I personally recommend the Santander 123 Student Account unless you have a lot of money coming in so the interest else where would be better.
egdum
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
HSBC is where it's at, really good overdraft options and good freebies
lucyclarkie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aztec Chic)
I suppose if you don't need any extra money or the freebies aren't that much use to you then no. I guess it's good to have it there as back up especially incase of any unexpected costs
So worth getting if you ever think you might run out of money (which I probably will to be honest!)? Thanks for your help
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lucyclarkie)
So worth getting if you ever think you might run out of money (which I probably will to be honest!)? Thanks for your help
Yes. I used my overdraft a few times. It was there if I needed it.
lucyclarkie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Yes. I used my overdraft a few times. It was there if I needed it.
Thank you!
lucyclarkie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Northolt999)
I personally recommend the Santander 123 Student Account unless you have a lot of money coming in so the interest else where would be better.
They have good freebies aswell I think, thank you!
lucyclarkie
Rep:
?
(Original post by egdum)
Thanks for your help!
123dr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by egdum)

What freebies can you get with HSBC?
123dr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have around 7k coming in. what do you mean by 'so the interest else where would be better'?
Northolt999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 123dr)
I have around 7k coming in. what do you mean by 'so the interest else where would be better'?
For about 7k I would recommend Santander as you get money back for having money coming in what is one of the most generous if you remain in balance.
http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/curren...rrent-account/

Also if you want to see a comparison of a various number of bank accounts please see the two links bellow:
http://www.savethestudent.org/money/...-accounts.html
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-bank-account
egdum
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 123dr)
What freebies can you get with HSBC?
£60 Amazon Voucher

1 year Amazon prime

1k overdraft @ 0%
Northolt999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One thing to remember is that the overdraft rate is the maximum available and depends on many factors with most people not getting the full overdraft facility.
123dr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For about 7k I would recommend Santander as you get money back for having money coming in what is one of the most generous if you remain in balance.
http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/curren...rrent-account/

Also if you want to see a comparison of a various number of bank accounts please see the two links bellow:
http://www.savethestudent.org/money/...-accounts.html
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-bank-account
oh I see. If they give me money for it, will I have to pay it back?
Northolt999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 123dr)
Intrest is free money for you having money in your account. So you do not have to pay it back.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 123dr)
No.

It's called interest.

Basically, when you put money into a bank account, the bank lends your money to another person. That other person pays interest for taking out a loan with the bank, so the bank makes some profit from your money and therefore the bank shares some of their profit with you in the form of interest.
123dr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
No.

It's called interest.

Basically, when you put money into a bank account, the bank lends your money to another person. That other person pays interest for taking out a loan with the bank, so the bank makes some profit from your money and therefore the bank shares some of their profit with you in the form of interest.
I never understood how it works but now I do. Thank you very much for explaining it
Hanjacko997
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ive just been accepted for a hsbc student account, do you have to go online after to request the overdraft once you've recieved ur online banking details or is the overdraft already there automatically?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (188)
59.68%
No (70)
22.22%
Not sure (57)
18.1%

Watched Threads